The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got started up with the Bourgault L7800/3710 disk unit.
With no previous BG experience learning is not a curve, it's a vertical, 90 degree, straight up line, while, you get the idea.:eek:
Throw in a Topcon X30 monitor and my brain is pretty scrambled, well, more so.;)

Early and quick observations.
It's heavy. Crawled (an accurate term) a 15 degree hill with 25T product on board in addition to about 28T of steel, that'll train any tractor!

Pellet stand very handy.

Step over hitch and stair case well thought out, the side steps even flip up and lock, just lift and fold out for stepping on, clever.

The 12" cart auger is unbelievably fast, it even has two speeds.:)
Figuring the remote control out for it takes longer than the filling!;)

Getting those hoses moved to rate check is a struggle for a beginner.

Hydraulic hose interference (Deere) with handle on cart hitch on tight left turns.
Cart wheel interference with extremity light and castor wheel during turn mentioned above.;)

Low disturbance opener on 3710 is interesting, hope crops can grow through that large volume of straw from last year.
Nice field finish though, less peas on top the ground than I've seen before, new larger Dutch air brakes likely helping.
Opener boot WILL take Fabas if that ever happens.
The little I've done I've plugged no openers nor with straw, some stripper header straw, some mud, all no issues and encouraging so far.
It appears to seed into it fine but after packing the ground is 100% straw cover. Hmm.:confused:
Could likely pull it faster but do not have a functioning blockage monitor yet and I have this aversion to line plugging, today I hope.:(

Had a couple of hoses come off, not tightened yet clamps still there :eek:, one line had plastic shavings in it, one that puffy white packing material, start-up crap.;)

Athena's coming to help today, she will get a shot or two.

More later.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you have mrbs? We had startup issues still halfway thru seeding! Which blockage are you using? You need to hang out with Andy more, I did now we have Versatile tractor, Morris Cart, and pillar drill. Who needs to match! No primer paint scheme here yet....

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have mrbs? We had startup issues still halfway thru seeding! Which blockage are you using? You need to hang out with Andy more, I did now we have Versatile tractor, Morris Cart, and pillar drill. Who needs to match! No primer paint scheme here yet....
I'll hang out with Andy as long as it doesn't cost!;)
Yes to MRB, not used yet.
Nothing, but only because we are having trouble sourcing tractor radar to Loup blockage system cabling.:mad::mad::mad:
Really miss FC velocity monitors now. A lot!
Right now I just have an expensive and very poor boat anchor.:(

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don do you have trail were you have harvest with normal header to compare yield ?
Not really, I have one stripper field with three MacDon passes through the middle and one complete field all MacDon swathed.
Don't think it's enough to get good data though.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Finally got started up with the Bourgault L7800/3710 disk unit.
With no previous BG experience learning is not a curve, it's a vertical, 90 degree, straight up line, while, you get the idea.:eek:
Throw in a Topcon X30 monitor and my brain is pretty scrambled, well, more so.;)

The 12" cart auger is unbelievably fast, it even has two speeds.:)
Figuring the remote control out for it takes longer than the filling!;)

Getting those hoses moved to rate check is a struggle for a beginner.
I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now.....it will make more sense with time.:)

I told you guys last year how fast that auger was.;)

Those hoses don't get any easier with experience, mine got shortened a wee bit, seems to help.:rolleyes:

After the dust settles you will have to tell us which is more complex: Bourgault drill or Claas combine?;)

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now.....it will make more sense with time.:)

I told you guys last year how fast that auger was.;)

Those hoses don't get any easier with experience, mine got shortened a wee bit, seems to help.:rolleyes:

After the dust settles you will have to tell us which is more complex: Bourgault drill or Claas combine?;)
Shortened meter hoses a bit has already happened.;)

That auger is faster than some augers used to fill bins!:eek::)
And no drama when it plugs either, just stalls the hydraulics.
Had to move it from front to back of cart today, auger right full and hopper flooded with peas, still worked and lifted off the ground.

Hmm, complex ah?
Let's put it this way.
If you bought farm equipment either by weight or complexity, in this set Claas is a bargain either way!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Your wish is my command, Athena is helping me:

I'll try to get pics tomorrow seeding in straw left by this:

That pic just happened to be on photo bucket.;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
They definitely do pull heavy. I don't know what happened with faba bean seed between last year and this year but we spent a whole day today trying to get beans to meter through our 6550 cart. Ended up having to remove metering orrfices. Got that resolved then couldn't get them to go through the opener. Didn't matter how slow or fast we went. Worked fine last year. This is on a 3710 with AHP scraper. Only thing that worked well today was the Agtron blockage monitors now being ran wirelessly through a samsung tablet. Gonna seed the beans with a salford disk drill starting tomorrow.
Nice looking unit! Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They definitely do pull heavy. I don't know what happened with faba bean seed between last year and this year but we spent a whole day today trying to get beans to meter through our 6550 cart. Ended up having to remove metering orrfices. Got that resolved then couldn't get them to go through the opener. Didn't matter how slow or fast we went. Worked fine last year. This is on a 3710 with AHP scraper. Only thing that worked well today was the Agtron blockage monitors now being ran wirelessly through a samsung tablet. Gonna seed the beans with a salford disk drill starting tomorrow.
Nice looking unit! Good luck with it!
Thank you.

I wonder if the seed size and/or shape is different enough this year to give dramas?

I don't have AHP, I can't see how that tube would give any plugging issues with low disturbance openers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will be honest I have never seen a low disturbance one up close. On the AHP the steel tubes that the hoses fit into that bolts onto the scraper holder necks done to a slot that is about 1.5" long x .500" wide. That is where the beans get twisted around and jam up. Quite frustrating. Same rate, same treatment. The beans must be bigger. That's all that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts