The Combine Forum banner

Swathed wheat overwintered will in comparison with same field spring straight cutting

• A. Yield more

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • A. Yield less

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • B. Grade better

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • B. Grade worse

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • C. Be easier to harvest

Votes: 46 63.0%
  • C.Be harder to harvest

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • D. Weigh more

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • D. Weigh less

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • NOTE: 5 polls at once, one vote per lettered category. Votes can be changed. Thank you!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Additional test question added below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E. I like the poll format (multiple questions and votes)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • E. I do not like poll format (multiple questions and votes)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Harvest on Oct 17 wasn’t done by me, Oct 25 and Nov 1 was. Blue and green strips.
Nov 1 was on a cratered Deere 6000 receiver and a snow encrusted yield monitor, not sure why anything mapped.
North of that E/W Nov 1 pass is standing, if you want to call 90% of it 0 degrees to the ground under snow standing.
South of it is 28.5’ swathes cut full length crossing that middle of the field N/S pass.
So about 70% swathed of what’s left.
Will be an interesting test, swath vs leave.

Maybe should do a which way better poll?! (I did)

Field is rolled and started lodging mid July simply due to being a thick stand. Elie wheat. Currently so much snow on the field it’s tough to see the heavy swathes.

The 1/4 across the road from my yard to the south is an untouched canola stand but not mine nor my renters.
Background satellite pic not from last year.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added a poll.
Quite the format for pollling on this new board, handy.

Believe this is the first poll under the new format, a test!

I do not know the answers but will report the field results hopefully by early May.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
If I had a mulligan on the year we had some cereals out I’d just put a match to it.
The ground stayed saturated and would not harden up. Ended up a wet-ish spring and didn’t get it seeded either.
At least with you on it while the farmer is busy seeding and conditions do get good enough it can get done.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doubt Neil would want me to throw a match in what last fall was the highest yielding wheat ever on this 1/2.

As this is really four polls you can vote up to 4 options.
I should have left a space between each two choices, no way to edit to that, oh well.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
It is amazing how quick you can seed a field after you burn it. I watched a neighbor once burn off a very wet wheat field and I think the next day he seeded the whole thing. The black color and lack of straw dries the surface fast.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some barley spring thresh for a friend three years ago, all straight cut @ 315 degrees.
Had to go quite slow to get 98% ish of it. But he seeded the field a couple of days later, in spite of having to pull the truck out with the combine.

This year a much larger project though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For us its year 5 of spring threshing upwards of 700 acres again. This time no standing crop its all swathed as luck would have it we finished up swathing during the snowstorm Nov 2.
5 years And every year different results. Have roughly 370 acres of barley and 320 of wheat. So far wheat doesn't look bad but barley looks like it going to be 0 yeild. Checked swaths behind my house here and you cant even see the swathes under almost 2 feet of snow nearly half to two thirds of the grain has been eaten up by mice. Cant say for sure if this is everywhere in the field but it dont look good.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder Brian if mice have a preference of barley over wheat?
I think canola the safest from mice, even swathed.

10-15 cm snow tonight and tomorrow forecast, just what we need!

·
Registered
136 Posts
For us its year 5 of spring threshing upwards of 700 acres again. This time no standing crop its all swathed as luck would have it we finished up swathing during the snowstorm Nov 2.
5 years And every year different results. Have roughly 370 acres of barley and 320 of wheat. So far wheat doesn't look bad but barley looks like it going to be 0 yeild. Checked swaths behind my house here and you cant even see the swathes under almost 2 feet of snow nearly half to two thirds of the grain has been eaten up by mice. Cant say for sure if this is everywhere in the field but it dont look good.
It was a tough one again this year ..Had to steal every acre however wet it was. Seen the other day that we are both still drying ... We feel for you that you couldn"t get it off.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It was a tough one again this year ..Had to steal every acre however wet it was. Seen the other day that we are both still drying ... We feel for you that you couldn"t get it off.
Thanks Niel. This was our first time trying to steal some straight cut wheat of one field at nearly 27% moisture in late October. Was really surprised how easy it was going through but nearly 70% of the grain was still in the head. It simply would not thresh. I think we counted 21 days of some sort of rain in October at our my wife said so its really a miracle we got as much as we did. It was so aggravating to see people just a few miles away from us going and we were sitting still.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was our first time trying to steal some straight cut wheat of one field at nearly 27% moisture in late October. Was really surprised how easy it was going through but nearly 70% of the grain was still in the head. It simply would not thresh.
Interesting Brian, wheat at 27% would be more like puffed wheat, I would think knocking it out of the head would be no worse than dry wheat, huh.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I really think variety played a key roll here. We had Brandon Muchmore and viewfield wheat varieties and Viewfield was giving us all kinds of trouble thrashing. High amounts of whitecaps in the samples. Many in our area were having difficultly with viewfield this year. don't know if it just didn't finish maturing or what it was. Had trouble with both combines. Adjusted the concave up o the 590 till rub bars ticked. 760 was a little more difficult to get as cebis has tight control over this setting but we were able to fool it to get the concave closer with Jasons help.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I really think variety played a key roll here. We had Brandon Muchmore and viewfield wheat varieties and Viewfield was giving us all kinds of trouble thrashing. High amounts of whitecaps in the samples. Many in our area were having difficultly with viewfield this year.
Funny you should say that, I found exactly the same thing.

Viewfield through cab window (never cleaned, 130 sep hrs!)
However, in order to get to that sample, you have to...
max cylinder speed, 880 loaded = to 1100 old cylinder.
min concave space
hydraulic intensive threshing bar in
hydraulic threshing concave cover closed
I think even the ZAPS (zero degree APS caps) serrated leading edge help strip wheat out of the head at such high cylinder speeds
round bar APS concave but closed

15% ish moisture

While it’s fairly clean with that aggressive a settings I’m surprised there are no cracks, dockage under 0.5%.
Not only hard to thresh, hard to crack.
Upper hopper cam just before being submerged.
About 500 kg more after it is cab hopper kicks in. Somebody told me.

As to snow cover
Looking straight west down that green path in post #1.
Kinda cheating, while the heavy snowfall warning was withdrawn we did get the 10-15 cm overnight.

Field was running in the 7 t/ha area but has 1200 t/ha of water/snow equivalent on it atm..

·
Registered
549 Posts
hydraulic intensive threshing bar in
hydraulic threshing concave cover closed
I think even the ZAPS (zero degree APS caps) serrated leading edge help strip wheat out of the head at such high cylinder speeds
15% ish moisture
Didn't get a chance to install the intense threshing grate, almost certain this would have made a difference, but we did have sunnybrook double row wheat threshing segments in. Sunny brook concaves, Concave as closed as you could get 1100 wide open Sunny brook cylinder speed, front aps grates keystock grate with doors closed. After the wheat test we moved into canola till snow halted us nov 3rd.
First picture below is what our fields look like. This is Barley which AFSC yield estimate of around 120 bpa in 36 ft swaths. Didn't get a chance to do barley at all.
The next one is wheat in 36 ft swathes and according to combine monitor it was close to 80 bpa at 18.5 to 20 % moisture

Sorry pictures are smaller then i thought they would be but it gives you some idea.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possibly, a bit closer to the strong chinook zone can really help.
Never know though!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just curious. When you have enough mice to wreck a field of barley over winter, what the hell do you do when you gets seeding it again in the spring? Don't they wreck the seeded stuff also? I have seen youtube videos of the mice problems in Aus. Does it looks similar?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts