The Combine Forum banner

361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
After climbing the ladder going into the cab on the crop production show lexion yesterday I would highly recommend they change the angle. It was awful. The old ladder design was much easier to climb.

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
After climbing the ladder going into the cab on the crop production show lexion yesterday I would highly recommend they change the angle. It was awful. The old ladder design was much easier to climb.
That is also a pre series, track ladders will be changed for production for sure, think wheels will be stuck with that gem.

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
My friend Owen (truck operator) just sent me this from last fall.
Also thought it’s kinda pretty the way the sun is:

It was the only day/night just us worked together and his first time as a truck driver, normally drove cart.
He done good getting 350 tonnes of wheat to the bin.

Also recently found out this was the highest yielding wheat field last year.

Oh, just remembered, most trucks like this around here are Allison Automatics, this one isn’t.
Occasionally we hit uphill, lodged crop, unloading, truck not suitable under 2.5 km/hr.
653 just didn’t cut it, needed the 790 hp 8900!

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
1.5 mph doesn't sound very productive.
Max fuel use!
The volume of straw, damp straw, finely chopping that straw and unloading system that likely sucks up 100 hp and running at engine power limit continuously.

It‘s the best it could do.

And Claas tells me an 8900 is too big!

Interesting when you are going this slow it wouldn’t look much different but while slow this would still be 30 to 50% over the usual units I ran beside.

The bottom 1/4 of the field was done by 3 other machines, 10 days later and dryer straw.

Area and land location blacked out to protect the innocent!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I don't think I am out of line saying Claas is supposed to announce early next week what they intend to do with the rotor covers(and other changes) for the small grains units in NA. I'm cautiously optimistic but never heard the specific phrase 3D. I've now made it very well known that if the covers aren't kept the same as my 700 series I'm not interested....well the same except all 4 sections adjustable from the cab.;)

There was a 7500tt at Ag-Days today, gave it a brief look and some nice stuff on there. One thing I noticed that looks to be a problem is the fuel filler neck is like halfway down the catwalk toward the engine bay. (n)

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
I don't think I am out of line saying Claas is supposed to announce early next week what they intend to do with the rotor covers(and other changes) for the small grains units in NA. I'm cautiously optimistic but never heard the specific phrase 3D. I've now made it very well known that if the covers aren't kept the same as my 700 series I'm not interested....well the same except all 4 sections adjustable from the cab.;)

There was a 7500tt at Ag-Days today, gave it a brief look and some nice stuff on there. One thing I noticed that looks to be a problem is the fuel filler neck is like halfway down the catwalk toward the engine bay. (n)
In the old model days non 4D rotor covers didn’t have a name and 3D was a shoe shake leveling feature

Correct, you have to drag the fuel filling hose down the walkway a bit to a much shorter fuel filler neck.
On the flip side it’s much easier to get right full even at high fill rates and while being split tanks front/rear now, still holds 1150. Angle parked at not important anymore.

Def tank went from 85 to 110 while consumption went from 5.1 to 2.8%.

If they do not go to full open/full closed rotor covers that will be at least 4 units not sold, counting trades.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
If they do not go to full open/full closed rotor covers that will be at least 4 units not sold, counting trades.
This is what I gather as well. Thanks for the clarity on the naming thing. I believe I made another futile attempt to lobby for high speed rotors across all small grains models, doubt they will come around on that one...

Good to hear Def use is down and tank is bigger, should give it the ability to get a couple of good days or more before needing a refill.

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Hope they do announce what changes are going to be made, without full open/full close rotor covers and a revised impeller they have junk.
With full open/full close covers and a changed impeller and drive they have the best unit on the market.
It’s that close.

·
Registered
254 Posts
SWMan is was surprised you ordered 8700 with slow speed. Just going by your prior posts on how much better the high speed rotors where. I can only speak to new holland but when they upped the rotor speeds about 250-300 I think in about 2013-14? It was a substantial increase in capacity. Not in all conditions but definitely in a good heavy wheat crop with lots straw.
I assume the price difference between 8700 and 8800 wasn’t justified for benefits of high speed rotors? You may have already stated reasoning and I misted it.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Mags I went with the 8700 because I don't feel the extra un-covered rotor grates were something I wanted. More concave area and rotor grates that allow grain/chaff through easier also reduces need for six grate sections. The rotors spin somewhat faster in the 8700 than the 700 series I am told, if I need higher speed I will swap the gearboxes which is probably way less than the price of the model jump. Power on the 8700 is only very slightly less than my current 780, and much of the time I was not at full power anyways.

Time will tell, I may never find out....but the high speed rotors do have a huge impact on loss for sure!

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
My techy (Justin) tells me the manual rotor covers we use to use before enough covers showed up will also cover my 8800’s one never covered concave.

Due to the fragile state of the spring threshed wheat straw I think we’ll cover the entire concave #5 proactively.
The front 4 can be controlled on the the go from the cab, concave #6 has the loss monitors on an 8800.

Except for peas all the rotor covers are never all run open at the same time in any condition with these new finger grate concaves.

Love peas, whatever you can feed will be cleaned and separated with virtually zero loss.

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Oh, some good news, we are finally going to lose the feeder reverser delay!
And sometimes delay forward engagement as well.
Back to the start of the C79 Model.
5 model years.
Ok.
Why so long to fix?
More Important, why the **** was it ever that way?!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don, Guess I had it backwards, can the wire rotor grates from the 500/700 series be run in the 7/8000 series? Mix and match. A finger bar, then four wire grates then a finger bar? We already know what impeller style “works” that’s an easy fix? Think what a beast? A Lexion Lion,not a tiger cat.

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Don, Guess I had it backwards, can the wire rotor grates from the 500/700 series be run in the 7/8000 series? Mix and match. A finger bar, then four wire grates then a finger bar? We already know what impeller style “works” that’s an easy fix? Think what a beast? A Lexion Lion,not a tiger cat.
You could likely mix and match but I don't see how that’s any advantage.
Eliminate 4D and have full open/full close rotor covers, advantage!

Just wait on the impeller issue. Soon.

361 - 378 of 378 Posts