The Combine Forum banner

381 - 400 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wondering if you truly believe Claas is willing to adapt their combines to a specific area? Clearly there are people that want 4D or they wouldn’t have developed it. It would be extremely good on them if they were but I am pretty skeptical.

I am not really too concerned about 4D. Although I am pretty new to these machines, sieve loss has never been a limiting factor for me - always rotor loss. I did order the new model otherwise I probably would have considered adding keystocks to my rotor grates. I am hoping the more aggressive rotor grates on the new machines solves my rotor loss problem without creating a sieve loss problem.

I have a feeling you guys will have to jump on board with this 4D system or switch brands. IMO the switch we made from NH to Claas was the best thing we ever did. Absolutely no comparison in capacity and threshing in tough conditions. You would have a hard time getting us to switch from Claas now (I know a couple guys with red and green with the same opinion after they switched).

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Wondering if you truly believe Claas is willing to adapt their combines to a specific area? Clearly there are people that want 4D or they wouldn’t have developed it. It would be extremely good on them if they were but I am pretty skeptical.
Hmm, did market lead design or is design trying to lead market?
Don’t know.
At this “known” point there is no intention of different versions.
Like there was for model years 17/18 and 19 yellow machines in NA.
As pointed out earlier all 4D is now is electronic unlock to allow the shutters to operate in the hillside mode.
The mechanicals remain the same in which if the covers are completely closed there are 32 slots never covered concentrating material in the center of the shoe.

I wish you well, 4D/non entire rotor covers are completely unacceptable to me.
It was on my 2017 and it was worse on the 8800 due to the aggressive separation nature of the the new finger grates.

Quite a shame, in swathed dry canola 4D covers take Claas from penthouse to outhouse performance wise.
Run against the competition Claas would be DFL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm, did market lead design or is design trying to lead market?
Don’t know.
At this “known” point there is no intention of different versions.
Like there was for model years 17/18 and 19 yellow machines in NA.
As pointed out earlier all 4D is now is electronic unlock to allow the shutters to operate in the hillside mode.
The mechanicals remain the same in which if the covers are completely closed there are 32 slots never covered concentrating material in the center of the shoe.

I wish you well, 4D/non entire rotor covers are completely unacceptable to me.
It was on my 2017 and it was worse on the 8800 due to the aggressive separation nature of the the new finger grates.

Quite a shame, in swathed dry canola 4D covers take Claas from penthouse to outhouse performance wise.
Run against the competition Claas would be DFL.
I would agree swathed dry canola would be it’s toughest test. Luckily swathed dry canola will rarely be attacked by my Claas ?

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Problem is, even in standing wheat a dirtier sample is assured with 4D.
And whenever you have a dirty sample higher losses follow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
IMO the switch we made from NH to Claas was the best thing we ever did. Absolutely no comparison in capacity and threshing in tough conditions. You would have a hard time getting us to switch from Claas now
Just curious, which NH did you switch from and into which Claas? I have been running NH for 35 years and have been very happy with the machines. Running a 10.90 the past 3 crops. That said, I am, from a distance, watching the Claas.

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Don, after installing custom rotor covers down the middle, were you able to compare in similar conditions?
I had them installed but I didn’t physically do it, shout out to my sales guy Kevin, techy Justin and shop hand Danny on that one.

The closer you are to having all 4 covers closed the better it functions like normal covers,
Reason is you lose 22% of the open area of the front 4 concaves permanently, you get a slightly reverse problem where the middle is thinner. But overall you are much better off.
I got around it by running all closed and 1250 rpm rotor speed.
Rarely I’d have to open just one concave cover so the effect is minimized

Through the hopper window, max cylinder speed, min concave clearance, max rotor speed, all covers closed.
Shoe ran by CEMOS Automatic as per virtually 100% of the time.
Such a sample was absolutely impossible before plugging the 32 slots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious, which NH did you switch from and into which Claas? I have been running NH for 35 years and have been very happy with the machines. Running a 10.90 the past 3 crops. That said, I am, from a distance, watching the Claas.
2016 8090’s. 2014 9090. Problem was always rotor loss when threshing lentils early morning and later in evening. Also sieve loss in canola and high mog dry wheat/durum. Claas lets us start 1-2 hours earlier in the day and end 1-2 hours later. I have never understood having the identical guts in a machine from class 8 to class 10. Having a 10.9 wouldn’t help me - horsepower never the issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have never understood having the identical guts in a machine from class 8 to class 10. Having a 10.9 wouldn’t help me - horsepower never the issue.
Internals are not identical. Different part numbers on many different pieces. When I bought mine, our service manager went through the the parts list to see what was interchangeable. He brought in the parts that were not the same to compare. Most notable items are the rotors. Outside diameter is the same, however designed differently with hub diameter being smaller to aid in material flow. Other items slip my memory, but I remember that one. Cannot go by just general numbers/dimensions when comparing machines ie. Rotor diameter, cleaning area etc. Things are not always as they appear. I'm sure this goes for units of all colors. One needs to look a little closer to get true comparison.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Internals are not identical. Different part numbers on many different pieces. When I bought mine, our service manager went through the the parts list to see what was interchangeable. He brought in the parts that were not the same to compare. Most notable items are the rotors. Outside diameter is the same, however designed differently with hub diameter being smaller to aid in material flow. Other items slip my memory, but I remember that one. Cannot go by just general numbers/dimensions when comparing machines ie. Rotor diameter, cleaning area etc. Things are not always as they appear. I'm sure this goes for units of all colors. One needs to look a little closer to get true comparison.
Maybe true but none of the differences are significant enough to cause threshing advantages. Our 9090 performed exactly the same as our 8090.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I had a 10.9 next to my 780 in wheat and canola this fall for several days. Great second place machine, I'd rather run the 10.9 if I was just out there to get things done. We did do some pan testing though and put a speed limit on the NH in canola, and this was when we were a day away from the biggest October snowstorm since 1959. I liked almost everything about it though including straw and chaff spreading, cab controls and hopper unload speed. They just need to put a cylinder in there and some rotor flaps.;)

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
I had a 10.9 next to my 780 in wheat and canola this fall for several days. Great second place machine, I'd rather run the 10.9 if I was just out there to get things done.
That is one area Claas actually did get right on the green meanies, they are far quieter and far more pleasant to run for an assortment of reasons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a 10.9 next to my 780 in wheat and canola this fall for several days. Great second place machine, I'd rather run the 10.9 if I was just out there to get things done. We did do some pan testing though and put a speed limit on the NH in canola, and this was when we were a day away from the biggest October snowstorm since 1959. I liked almost everything about it though including straw and chaff spreading, cab controls and hopper unload speed. They just need to put a cylinder in there and some rotor flaps.;)
2 years ago, neighbor ran one of each of the major brands, except a red one, for the season. He figured the Claas had the edge in performance but creature comforts, ease of operation and service went to NH. Last year he had 3 bumble bees running all year. Green wasn't even a consideration. Sounds like the learning curve would be pretty steep to switch to Claas. Not sure I'm ready for that.

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Ok, details are thin but covering of the previously uncovered rotor grate slots will be added.

Also, the vastly better impeller and drive will changed on pre series and obviously used in 2020’s.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Ok, details are thin but covering of the previously uncovered rotor grate slots will be added.

Also, the vastly better impeller and drive will changed on pre series and obviously used in 2020’s.
Added as in added to the automated system from the cab? Full open/full closed?

Good news if this is correct.

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Huh, seems my spring harvesting service is in demand, yet another call from a friend/neighbour.
80 days away. Maybe. +/-. Ish.
Guess they figured out I’ll be somewhat less busy than they are when seeding.

381 - 400 of 449 Posts