The Combine Forum banner

401 - 420 of 449 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I was told by a reliable source that the 2020 machines will have cover plates bolted into the center openings that didn't have flaps and the outer grate openings will remain uncovered. It's 4D with a patch job is the way I understand it. I'm not the best person to describe it though, because I've never actually dealt with a 4D unit before.

Sounds like lots of other little stuff is being changed as well, including the impeller.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Sounds like a Mickey Mouse fix.
Bandaid fix fits as well.

I only know as much as SW on this but I did fight with 4D rotor covers on a sea green 8800 as well as a yellow 780 ’17.
4D worked equally well on both units. Not worth a ****!

The new finger grate concaves do not even have the other two shutter mounts I believe, Claas NEVER intended to have anything other than 4D on the greenies.
And I just don’t get it. Correction. I am completely mystified! In no condition does 4D work overall better and in chalk dry swathed canola performance is absolutely crippled by this pos design.

Sounds like lots of other little stuff is being changed as well, including the impeller.
I wouldn’t call the impeller change little, it’s major actually.
My techy says the whole list is extensive even to pre series units and more again to 2020 units.

·
Registered
501 Posts
So the fix is to install these covers over the grates not covered by 4d rotor flaps and leave them in there all the time. Don you have had similar covers installed on your 780 and the 8800 machine now, how much capacity will be lost in conditions where rotor covers are not really needed, such as peas or barley?

How long does it take to install these permanent covers into the rotor grates? Looks like a big job and would assume you put them in once and leave them in.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
So the fix is to install these covers over the grates not covered by 4d rotor flaps and leave them in there all the time. Don you have had similar covers installed on your 780 and the 8800 machine now, how much capacity will be lost in conditions where rotor covers are not really needed, such as peas or barley?

How long does it take to install these permanent covers into the rotor grates? Looks like a big job and would assume you put them in once and leave them in.
Correct, the 32 never covered by 4D slots are permanently covered.

Yes, I put in some covers in the 780 but the finger grate separation of the new series is even worse for center chaffer loading with 4D.
My dealer installed “something” on the 8800 but I don’t even know what it looks like or how installed nor do I know what the Claas supplied plugs for 2020 will look like or install. Yes, it is an arduous task and especially when it should be completely unnecessary.

You do lose 22% separation area on 4 concaves of 6 in an 8800’s case (the rest get 5 concaves).
With the exception of peas I never run all covers open, the aggressive separation of these finger grates will likely mitigate somewhat the area loss.
It’s no way to properly set up a machine though, if you have all covers open the you reverse the chaffer loading problem thinning the middle but not a issue.
To remind all of how shitty 4D is before the slot plugging job

In wheat no less, straw not even all that dry nor was it a high feed rate.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So the centre of the shaker pan looks somewhat over loaded as well... if im not mistaken, the rotor pan doesnt drop onto the other pan. If thats correct then the centre overloaded shoe isnt completely the result of the 4d rotors.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
So the centre of the shaker pan looks somewhat over loaded as well... if im not mistaken, the rotor pan doesnt drop onto the other pan. If thats correct then the centre overloaded shoe isnt completely the result of the 4d rotors.
Yes, it is and it does.
The pan under the rotors does overlap the front grain pan a bit, note how sharply defined the load is.
This is being straight cut so initial concave loading would very even.

I don’t have a pic but in swathed canola with fully open/fully closed covers the shoe load would be even with the front about like the average distance bare as the above tapering to slightly deeper as the chaffer dividers are tall. The short dividers, not the tall center one.
Way less than what other machines have to deal with for material.
On a proper set up Claas that is.
Not 4D ****!
You can not have that clean a sample and have uneven 4D shoe loading at the same time.
Pic taken after slots were covered. 0.5% doc. Auto clean set at dirtiest sample. Really.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
This is what canola on a properly loaded sieve looks like from my non-4D machine. Dry conditions and I think this actually looks slightly worse than it really is, but my combine has two sections that can't be closed out of the 6 total. A machine with 5 sections would be better in the dry conditions, but not as good in the rotor loss department for cereals.

IMG_20171010_125040.jpg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes, it is and it does.
The pan under the rotors does overlap the front grain pan a bit,
Ok. It always looked to me the rotor pan ended before the other but i see on the videos it shows material cascading onto the grain pan then hitting the jet stream.

What was the dockage without the slots covered?

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Ok. It always looked to me the rotor pan ended before the other but i see on the videos it shows material cascading onto the grain pan then hitting the jet stream.

What was the dockage without the slots covered?
Likely more like 2 to 3% at a lower throughput and higher losses. An absolutely pathetic machine to operate when you know how it should be.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Thoughts on this solution???
View attachment 158564
It’s a band-aid solution but a better band-aid solution than I expected.
I envisioned permanent covers on all 32 slots but with this only the center 16 (of 216 slots on 6 concave 8800 only,180 slots 5 concave on the rest) be permanent and the bottom 16 part of the existing cab/or auto controlled shutters.

With this change and the massive list of other changes I can now recommend the 8X00 and 7X00 machines

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
A lot learned last year during the toughest harvest in my history anyway, but don’t regret it and grew a lot of appreciation for many of the changes/features made that actually are much better.

And in the end, Claas/MacDon 1

Windmill 0

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Texting and driving again Don.........
Turning to the right while looking to the left. I guess.
Really have no good reason nor excuse.
No damage to the 8800 at all, the windmill fan gearbox just missed the track, the fan itself long gone, the header could have been immediately run with one sickle section changed. About 180$’s to completely fix it up, a few bent up reel teeth.

Wasn’t in my field but I likely did the renters a favor, this mill was just over a sprayer width from two sides in a corner of a field.
If it isn’t all cleaned up yet I’m sure it will be by spring seeding.

401 - 420 of 449 Posts