The Combine Forum banner

421 - 440 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
LOL, turning to the right and looking to the left.

I did that about 10 years ago and happened to see a local 900' tower that appeared to be leaning. It was about 3 miles away from our field. It caught my eye and triggered something in my brain that made me think "that isn't right?!" Had to finish the turn in the combine and turn around again to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. After aiming east again, I couldn't find a straight or leaning tower again no matter how hard I tried.

The farmer who had the property surrounding the tower gained the rights to it and wanted it gone, so they cut the cables. I am still amazed by the timing and the fact that I noticed a slinder, slightly leaning tower while turning the combine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Local dealer many years ago near here sold used combine to farmer, rode first round with him picking up grain swaths- farmer both inexperienced and maybe not so sharp. Heading for hydro pole, dealer said watch that pole, farmer looked wrong way but turned the way he looked, so good; next dealer said watch that fencepost, again looked wrong way and turned that way, good again; went by barn and duck with row of duckling walked out of swath, dealer said watch those ducks, farmer looked right at them, but turned that way and combined every one. True story and wasn't me.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
There is actually reasoning to the new series numbering system.
First 8 is wide body 67”
Second 8 is Class size +2
00 is series.
A 7XXX is a standard body 56”
So with standard body 7400/7500 and wide body 8600/8700/8800/(8900 (NA eventually))
they have class 6 through 11 covered.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
This is HUGE!

I remember the first time I opened the left side panel and looked up, a 30“ cylinder and downstream 24” impeller are drive and driven by the same pulleys, 1 to 1. WTF?! Took about 30 seconds for that ugly realization to sink in.
Well, the first 30 second impression turned out correct, not only was the new setup not better than the old standard setup, it was worse.
Between this and the 4D rotor cover issue I was not able to recommend the new series to friends and neighbours and by extension, whoever reads this.
At the time an absolute shame as most of the new unit is a leap forward.

But with the 4D rotor covers issue fixed (sorta) and the impeller issue completely plus fixed full recommendation is due.

But I gotta wonder.
How did these two issues ever pass field prototypeing?
Because...
If I’d have been prototypeing I’d have told them
DO NOT PUT THOSE TWO DESIGNS ON THE NEW SERIES.
FURTHER, IF YOU DO I WILL NOT BUY NOR RECOMMEND ONE!
(By the way, I used that last line at pre series owners/operators wrap up meeting, the ensuing silence was deafening!)

Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk and on the other hand a massive list of change ups are being applied to pre series, all the issues I’m aware of and a few I did not have trouble with too.
Brings pre series as close to a 2020 unit as I would ever expect and certainly all the major functional issues.

Maybe I’ll just be down to whining about the side window wipers function on the 20, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Well it looks like they somewhat copied the Sunny Brook design for impeller. The new design looks a lot better than the old. Does the new impeller have a knife system in the center like the Sunny Brook?

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
I know as much about that as that bulletin has.
Nor do I know how much the impeller/cylinder tip speed ratio has changed.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
It is hard to tell from the picture but at the v it almost looks like the seedcleaner design with a space in the middle for the stationary knife. It is nice to see them addressing this issue. It also tells a person that the diameter and change in crop flow geometry was not the fix for this issue. Basically what Sunnybrook did with the new impeller design and a good system for cutting the material in the center was at the heart of the fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
So the rotor cover changes is only for Canadian small grain models?what about us south of the border:(
Appears so, and note that is just a bandaid fix.
Do not know why Western CanadIan units were singled out, likely to do with the most canola in Canada and a lot of it swathed still giving higher chaff loads.
But not just canola can produce chaff and separation conditions where rotor covers are needed and the new finger grate rotor grates are very aggressive, I never ran less than 2 of the 4 concave covers closed in wheat last fall and mid afternoon when humidity was lowest all 4 covers closed. 2/3rd’s of the separation area on a 6 separation grate. 8800.
On the flip side, with all covers open like you run in peas, if you could get 100t/hr through the machine it can separate it.

I can assure you of this, on FLAT ground that in ANY condition, ANY crop, requires ANY rotor covers to be closed 4D will never perform as well as full open/full close covers.
NEVER!

·
Registered
32 Posts
my field rep this winter mentioned that all of butlers new green lexions will come standard with sunny brook impellers.
and from that pic it sure looks alot like the sunnybrook we got installed last year.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
my field rep this winter mentioned that all of butlers new green lexions will come standard with sunny brook impellers.
and from that pic it sure looks alot like the sunnybrook we got installed last year.
Not exactly, if they’d said Sunnybrook “inspired“ impeller that would likely be accurate but Claas designed and built the new larger diameter impeller themselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not exactly, if they’d said Sunnybrook “inspired“ impeller that would likely be accurate but Claas designed and built the new larger diameter impeller themselves.
Original would be even beter,then maybe in 2 years a sunnybrook" inspired " cylinder will come along. Wishful thinking ?
Either way most of these upgrades should please alot of guys that have been asking for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Well you could whine about the stupid fuel filler location, and do it every morning when you fill up! Ha Ha
I likely would if I filled it myself but the very helpful young “kids“ I harvest with fill it, Ha ha!
It is a first world problem step backwards, that tall filler neck right at the top of the ladder was handy, at least it’s easy to get the fuel tank 100% full now.
The fuel filler neck used to be where the def filler is now, it’s capacity is larger 110 vs 85, and use went from 5 to 2.8% of fuel average so you don’t even necessarily fill it every day.

On the other hand, the ladder is handier now and you don’t have to move the extremity lighting/wind sensor for chopper spread arm out of the way anymore.
Don't laugh, on previous models several times I‘d wonder why the chopper spread was weird when the wind came up, sure enough the fuel filler had left the arm folded back.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Butler is pretty strong on Sunnybrook from when I talked to them and ordered a part or two. They seem to be a good dealer all around, as is our local Ziegler. I suspect with the new Claas impeller, the need for a Sunnybrook will be much less.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
I suspect with the new Claas impeller, the need for a Sunnybrook will be much less.
There will be no use for an SB impeller on 2020 (and 2019 pre series as well) and up units and the concave complexities with rotating intensive threshing bar and front concave cover (both hydraulic from cab on mine) make concave aftermarket less likely as well.

As to the impeller, one farm ran one unit of each type impeller on otherwise identical machines and it was night and day.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #437

I would assume beans is closest to peas in my harvest world, anyone here do both?
And I mean with any combine.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
I would assume beans is closest to peas in my harvest world, anyone here do both?
Yeah I do seed production of both peas and soybeans. Not unusual for the cleaning plants to comment on the low amount of cracks/high germination and it being better than other farmers with rotary combines. Of course that is 700 series and I an NOT running book settings. With soybeans you need to slow cylinder down and keep concave and bottom sieve tight to get a clean sample with low damage. Peas just need to slow the cylinder down. You can destroy a sample with a Claas too, but that's an operator problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
keep concave tight
Best thing I ever learned to better pea harvesting!

New series is interesting, even at tightest setting (now 10 mm indicated) power consumption remains constant, hardly any difference regardless of spacing.

421 - 440 of 449 Posts