The Combine Forum banner

521 - 534 of 534 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Vailcat canola is really the only crop you will use rotor covers in. In wheat and other crops you need to keep to rotor grates open to keep the rotor loss down. I all the year I have run a Lexion I do not think we have used rotor covers in any crop but canola.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Vailcat canola is really the only crop you will use rotor covers in.
WRONG!
And extremely wrong with these new finger grate rotor concaves and large main concave area!

Peas are the only crop where all covers are run open.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I should clarify that with the old grate design like Vailcat has rotor covers will not be used that often in crops other than canola. I can see how they would be needed with the new grate design in the 8000 series. I have never combined peas with our Lexions and do not know if rotor covers are needed for that crop. I think the old grate style with keystocks is the best grate design. It keeps more of the straw and chaff in the rotors and does a good job getting the grain out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If I knew anyone was going to study this I’d have taken a couple of more pictures!

Do you mean 760tt as in a yellow, wire rotor concave machine?
Yes sir. Took a little leap of faith and got a 2017 760tt
C and P from your quote:
Don does cover 9 overlap the center section of prep pan with covers 8?
There are 6 prep pan sections, they’re positions matching shoe sections.
With an even number of sections on the prep pan there is no center section but yes, both left and right rotor concave sections 8 and 9 would discharge on middle prep pan section 3 and 4
Prep pan and shoe sections simply numbered left to right.

Yep understood direction of rotor travel ect and that’s why I used term upstroke for rotor cover 9. Which would fall into prep pan 3 or 4.
Reviewing your photo again I think the current fix is going to be pretty good. The way covers 8 on both rotors sit it funnels everything to center from cover 9 which jives with your shoe loading photo. I’m envisioning a mountain right in the center of prep pan 3&4 as chaff comes off rotors and is guided by section 8 cover to very center of prep on. Just by blocking them off is going to cut that uneven load down considerably which sort of goes against my thought about not much coming out of section 9.
I almost think the added flap on 6 to cover 5 will help balance because now you have a deflector directing all of section 5 downward into prep pan 2 LH side or prep pan 5 on RH side.

These are my thoughts from seeing your photo. I’ve ran a lexion for all of 8 hours of my life and have only crawled into ass end of one 1 time and looked at it for about 2 minutes. I do know when we harvest anything with our Deere’s you could see shoe loss for each side and when you did power shutdown you would have outside on one shoe loaded front to back while the other side was half empty. Almost like your photo above except imagine the center being the outside in a deere. The problem was you couldn’t just change that easily because it could flip flop throughout the day as conditions changed. You had about 2 hours per day where everything was good and then the rest of the time you fought it. It will be interesting to see how the x9 series load the shoe. It should be better but you still just have those stupid deflectors under the thrashing part of rotor to try and balance material as it heads toward shoe. Again not something you can adjust from cab. That is obviously not an issue with a cylinder style machine.

Don’t forget rotors turn outside in at the bottom so rotor concave sections are numbered outside in as well. You know that but it needs to be made clear why the high number sections are in the middle of both rotors.

Does amount of material discharged from rotor concave sections 1, 5 or 9 differ? Don’t know but let’s review some material stacking
View attachment 160296 Rotor cover section 9 stacking on the center two ((prep pan and shoe Sections 3 and 4) otherwise closed rotor covers.
Note this is wheat chaff.
Note almost no loading on outside pan (1and 6) from rotor concave sections 1 which would have been properly covered. So we still don’t know if open sections differ, lol.
Be a good test though, run covers all open and check loading.

You need to find out if the kit that is the bandaid fix for pre series sea greens (and included on 2020’s) 4D fits yellow machines cursed with 4D as well.
don do you know if the manual rotor grate covers they made for 500 series would also clip into the 700 series? I know in the ag west clinic they gave the place in Nebraska that makes the clip on covers. I called them yesterday but the man wasn’t sure if the 500 series covers would fit 700.

what Makes a lexion grain loss monitoring system off the sieves better in a lexion then say other machines? The new x9 Deere’s have a loss pad at end of each shoe section now instead of just one on the far outside as before. I asked the JD rep the other day if this will be better at actually detecting losses from shoe versus also picking up rotor loss and giving false readings. He said he hoped so and that they have had a lot of complaints about that problem with old machines. That was funny to me because when I was fighting it they said no one had that issue and they were questioning me in whether or not I knew that for a facT, I did because if I opened straw drop door and none of rotor discharge went down into chopper sieve losses went to zero and rotor loss showed itself on loss monitors to be 4 c of what shoe loss showed.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
500 and 700 series would be the same rotor concaves, I think.
And the same manual covers must fit 8000 series as well, in brittle straw spring wheat threshing this spring I covered concave 5 as well with manual covers. Under 40% relative humidity all 5 of the 6 concaves remained closed, over 40% RH only had to open 1 concave cover so still 2/3’s covered. My 4D missed sections had already been permanently covered which was also ran the last 1/2 of last fall.
Would not have got this canola sample

without the permanent covers added where 4D covers miss.

I think the shoe sensor is full width on Claas.
I find loss balance between rotors and shoe loss readings well matches actual losses and makes it so manageable with the rotor covers, it also helps clean up sample.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
I have never combined peas with our Lexions and do not know if rotor covers are needed for that crop.
Never needed for peas even with these aggressive finger grates.

Further, PAMI has found peas are the easiest crop to clean on the shoe with any machine, pods blow and/or carry over easily while the pea seed itself will still fall through sieves at the highest airflow rate of any crop.
Research done by PAMI showed peas could withstand 14 m/s whereas canola could only handle 3 m/s airflow rates.

And losses are easy to see as well of course, with seed size by weight averaging 40 times canola.

As a result peas have become my favourite crop to harvest, highest t/hr.
Assuming they aren’t painted to the ground.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I close the hydraulic ones in soybeans. My little 730 only cuts corn and soybeans however.

I do have a set of manual covers out of a 560.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Interesting feedback. We demoed a 7000 series last year in wheat in 42c degree heat. dry as, and the rotor covers were closed on front 2 and rest were open. never had any issues with sieve load but did slow rotors right down. Be interesting in dry canola how it would go for chaff load like your peas. We ended up ordering one so we'll see in a few shorts months :unsure:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I saw on youtube a video of a 8900 working in Denmark.
It looks like they don't have that flimsy centerfilling upright graintank auger anymore....?

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
I saw on youtube a video of a 8900 working in Denmark.
It looks like they don't have that flimsy centerfilling upright graintank auger anymore....?
If you don’t have the 18 cube hopper, correct.
Think it’s 15 without the vertical auger and hopper extensions.

It wiggles when not in seed but it’s not flimsy and works well.

But the bigger question, why would they put a smaller hopper on your highest capacity machine?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I’ll be able to cover section 9 with parts I already have to fix 4d. This is a jd separator grate cover with 1” cut off. Fits like a glove. Spring loaded clamp locks right into place.
D6E2126F-1D97-4230-B109-7BD5B9E47295.jpeg

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know that’s wrong spot but I did it quick tonight and hadn’t droppped pan. Just reached in end and clamped in. For those looking to do the Claas fix on 4d this will woRk to permanently cover section 9.
I’m so new to this I didn’t realize the covers are plastic. I don’t think I can or want to hang a jd metal one on to cover section 5 with the adjacent rotor cover.
Maybe these will also act as a poorer mans keystock in rotor grates since the clamp is perpendicular to separator grate wires??? This is what holds it to separator grate You can see the old wear marks from its time spent in a deere I probably have 5, 5 gallon buckets of these covers

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Here’s a good one and kinda funny.
Just found out that while the old wire rotor grates have 9 sections the new finger grates have 10 sections.

8 covers.
But 1 is Permanent and needs no cover and one covers two sections, so eight covers for nine open sections.
One should never assume the number of sections would be the same!
This also lessens the significance of having one section permanently closed.
Good.

521 - 534 of 534 Posts