The Combine Forum banner

581 - 600 of 625 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Our rock dam on our fd70 has reduced the rocks coming into the combine by half. We have way less rocks to empty in the stone trap than without the rocks am on the knife. I know Don you do not like these things but I would not run a Macdon flex draper without it now.
Likely, and with both feeder faceplate and MacDon tilted full forward would likely be steep enough to dump rocks off.
Maybe one could get his rocks off without leaving the seat.

I have those stubby McKay lifters and I thought I had the skidshoes in the middle hole but have them in the highest cutterbar off ground position, think I’ll move to middle position allowing flatter knife angle and perhaps pick fewer rocks?

A couple of other early observations, ended up cutting peas N/S with a direct N wind, side window wiper/washers are a lot handier than you may think.

The rotor and cylinder drives are extremely positive, almost feels like a chain drive, I suspect the driven variable drives being auto greased the reason.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
"Seems the lineup of people to intentionally feed rocks into a combine for research purposes is kinda short."

Love this line!

Don, one could say the SB propels ears of corn through the machine too easily as well...???

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Don, one could say the SB propels ears of corn through the machine too easily as well...???
Peas my only crop so far with this cylinder, possible barley end next week.

I do not know how this cylinder would work in corn but fundamentally it is quite a change.
Not going to find out this year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looking at the very frist and the ladder topic... look what Agco has done: electrically folding and turning ladder. Maybe something for very experienced operators :p

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Somewhat like a sprayer ladder. Here, many of the sprayer ladders hydraulically fold up when the machine starts to move.

There is a noticeable difference between Claas wiring fitting finesse and most others. Generally speaking, Claas wiring is top notch, with both good connectors, and good wiring layout. The wiring in the above picture doesn't appear to be so. Take it back to the Agco Forum!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Ok, got into a stellar pea crop, within 5 to 10% of ideal pea harvesting conditions.

Peas are not supported for threshing, cylinder speed/concave clearance so those are my settings, 240/15, but are auto supported for separation, 4D and cleaning (top sieve/bottom sieve/fan including up and down hills).
Roughly 85 t/hr, the only thing limiting to about 100 t/hr is the Cruise Pilot setting feeder house depth in this pic.
But the reality is on flat ground in this particular crop on this particular time engine power limits me to about 90 t/hr, I just don’t have quite enough power to consistently achieve my elusive 100 t/hr. Or achieve it at all.
A 8900 with 140 more hp, piece of cake!
Or would it be?
I started getting rotor drive slip alarm occasionally, even with slip alarm raise to 10% and sometimes auto shut off shut feeder off.
Last night in tougher straw started to get cylinder slip even though ZAPS can handle far more material and that is APS belt slipping, not the cylinder belt.
Interestingly, I have plugged nothing behind the feeder and most of the feeder plugs have been rocks.
Nor have I had a single warning from the new impeller, wonder how the rest of the new machines are doing?

People will always say there has to be a limit, correct, but on a properly designed machine that should be engine power limit.
Not loss.
Not plugging.
Not inadequate drives.
My goal of finding said machine?
Not yet.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Would you get cracks if you speed the cylinder up a little. 240 rpm is not very fast to put that much material through.
I would rather speed up the rotors a bit too instead of requiring that much from the belt drive for the rotors.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Would you get cracks if you speed the cylinder up a little. 240 rpm is not very fast to put that much material through.
I would rather speed up the rotors a bit too instead of requiring that much from the belt drive for the rotors.
The cylinder is larger than in the former Lexions (60 cm -> 75cm)
565 m/s in the 75cm cylinder equal 300 rpm in the 60cm cylinder.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I finally have my two gold star award winners, congratulations!
But I‘m not thinking so much material flow, in this area the last few harvests here have been scrape crop off the ground action, rocks having their way with combine internals.

Note the Claas rasp bar and the even shallower attack angle than the previous model.
I had cylinder and concave damage with this setup,
View attachment 160648
A rock wedged right against the drum at the leading edge of of the bolted on rasp bar bending the drum in.
Of course if you bend the drum on one side of the rock you bend concave bars on the other side.
The shallow attack angle causes a strong wedge action and limited room leads to more damage.

Ran an SB cylinder threshing flat wheat this spring
View attachment 160649
The much greater height drum to rasp bar and the much steeper attack angle of the rasp bar support is much more likely to spank a rock out than wedge between the drum and concave.
And sure enough, put more rocks through threshing this spring in spite of the rock trap catching probably 90% of them, six rasp bars showed rock scarring but no bending damage to the drum, rasp bar supports nor concave.
The only have to fix items was some stationary chopper knives, some bent, some broke but in the scheme things minimal damage or expense.

Would an SB cylinder guarantee to never damage the concave nor cylinder from a rock?
No way, rocks come in a zillion different shapes and there is no predicting how interaction of rocks with the cylinder and concave will end up.
Seems the lineup of people to intentionally feed rocks into a combine for research purposes is kinda short.
But from a straight math and physics study and my limited experience a SB cylinder has quite an advantage for potential reduced rock damage to cylinder and concave from rocks.

You would be a good candidate for a HydraFlex header. Then you could sort out the rocks from the crop on the ground.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Don you wanted to know pounds of each load? Go into your gs3 and hit gs3 then go to area where you pick crop. Then give it a load name and destination. Then setup one of your home screen pages with your field totals. Scrolll thru it until you get load totals. Since your in a Claas the auto load increment doesn’t work but after you dump hit save load and it’ll start a new one. You can see in lower right is my pounds in current load Sorry for poor pic

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Note the display shot was taken at 4:53 pm, likely the driest part of our harvest day, we ran until 10 and I in fact was up to 280 loaded then.

Rotor speed is CEMOS auto set and tended to be higher than I would have manually set on the 780. Also, we were dropping straw and I was trying to preserve quality.

The rotor and chopper drive is on same main drive belt and on the left side now, it doesn’t seem to matter if chopping or dropping the likelihood of rotor belt slip is the same so that means it has to be the variable drive part slipping.

Think I only had two rotor alarms the entire season last year but it couldn’t put any where near the amount of material through this Claas new impeller/SB cylinder unit can.
Just shifted the issue downstream I guess.

·
Registered
576 Posts
People will always say there has to be a limit, correct, but on a properly designed machine that should be engine power limit.
Not loss.
Not plugging.
Not inadequate drives.
My goal of finding said machine?
Not yet.
Using your logic here, you should have bought the next smaller model of combine and then engine power would have been your limiting factor.

An incredible pea crop looking at the numbers. That straw must be tinder dry to put that kind of pea crop through at that speed. I am ready to trade my 760 off because it is so poor at threshing peas. Steady feeder house shut downs on my combines at ground speeds that are 1/2 of the case and deere combines locally. And way too many cracks if I speed up the cylinder above 300 to try and get some capacity. But my straw was very tough.

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Using your logic here, you should have bought the next smaller model of combine and then engine power would have been your limiting factor.

An incredible pea crop looking at the numbers. That straw must be tinder dry to put that kind of pea crop through at that speed. I am ready to trade my 760 off because it is so poor at threshing peas. Steady feeder house shut downs on my combines at ground speeds that are 1/2 of the case and deere combines locally. And way too many cracks if I speed up the cylinder above 300 to try and get some capacity. But my straw was very tough.
What does CEBIS display when shutting feeder off?

Conditions were as close to ideal as one could generally hope for although in the first field I occasionally had trouble with the pea auger wrapping with green plants.
4 units in the field S690/9090/8.9/8800.
Part of it was hauled directly to a terminal, we got down to 0.3% dockage and splits. Carver peas, tough seed coat.

I get your logic but I want to improve what is available well wondering how this could possibly work when you throw another 140 hp at it in a 8900?!

·
Registered
576 Posts
What does CEBIS display when shutting feeder off
In a good pea crop with 40' header the threshing drum slip alarm keeps coming up and shuts off the feederhouse. Normally between 2 and 2.5 mph (3.2-4 km/hr). That is with the auto crop flow set to the lowest. Turned the auto crop flow off and plugged the impeller. Been like this the last 2 pea crops. Tried the zaps and made no difference. Claas answer is to turn the cylinder up to 400+ rpm, which is great if you like 9% splits.

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
In a good pea crop with 40' header the threshing drum slip alarm keeps coming up and shuts off the feederhouse. Normally between 2 and 2.5 mph (3.2-4 km/hr). That is with the auto crop flow set to the lowest. Turned the auto crop flow off and plugged the impeller. Been like this the last 2 pea crops. Tried the zaps and made no difference. Claas answer is to turn the cylinder up to 400+ rpm, which is great if you like 9% splits.
How can we possibly have such a wild swing in performance between us?!!!

While having no technical knowledge of it it seems new model APS drive is more aggressive.
To match larger diameter cylinder it likely runs 25% faster but then you have to run the cylinder 25% slower so no gain there, perhaps it simply is a more aggressive drive.

Do you have an SB impeller?
An SB cylinder?
What concave under APS?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tried to get a camera in for some 4d action but when running can’t see much. I’ve tried a lot of stuff but I’m not done. Doing powershutdown it does do a nice job but that damn jet stream is blowing crap EVERYWHERE!! This is looking backward in front of grain pan Thought it be good but it’s not Surprising how much crap blows around by rotors because I also mounted it once between sensors in back of rotors too
So far best footage has been right at sieve exit for first few seconds of combining then it becomes whiteout Not sure if blocking off the infrared or lights would help for seeing back there or not My thought is when your in a snowstorm or driving a snowcat on top of a mountain in the middle of the night in a blizzard the best thing to do was turn off all your lights I’ll get some footage boys and girls just bear with me

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
Twix is your threshing drum belt properly tightened? Do you have a factory or sunny Brook impeller? If you are into modifying I built a large v knife at the back of the concave that forces all the material to be split when it leaves the concave no matter what the concave opening is. This setup with a Sunny Brook impeller, and sunflower knife on the dogs tongue makes the impeller very hard to plug. Infact we have never plugged it with this setup but am waiting to test it in some horrible conditions. When you are running 240rpm a high inertia cylinder like a Sunnybrook would be a big help for keeping the speed constant.

581 - 600 of 625 Posts