The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be running a 2021 8800 Claas this year but from the crop cut to straw spread only the feeder belt feeder slats and the rotors will be stock and/or currently available.
But...the rest...
Some features will be soon to be introduced components
Some features will be modified slightly by me on currently available components
Some features will be modified/designed exclusively by me

Claas R and D does what, 50 mil over the last 5 years? Strictly hybrid combines R an D I’m thinking here.
If they are going to be only a 1000 times over me they would have to be.

Going to be an interesting fall!
Goals (all in T/hr)
  • Peas, exceed 100
  • Barley meet 80
  • Wheat meet 60
  • Canola, meet 40
Any guesses that 100/80/60/40 roughly matches G/MOG ratios in my area?

All as a sustained pass basis, average on 600m run min.
Not an instantaneous reading.
At or below 1% loss.

Central Alberta conditions. Lately.

Lofty?
Perhaps, the peas the easiest.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Could you convert that to English please. Somebody that is part of the greatest generation ever should honour there generation and stick to imperial;)

Reactions: KpprCrk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Could you convert that to English please. Somebody that is part of the greatest generation ever should honour there generation and stick to imperial;)
Good luck with that . LOL And thanks Don for yet another tease .🤫

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, he likes to tease us.

The numbers in t/hr don't look very challenging for the combine. But the real challenge seems to be to grow a suitable crop "under Alberta conditions" :)

Here canola goes into blossom, so in 90-100 days we will see how it was. So far it looks quite good.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Going to be to hard to bs the neighbour of I use something I have no idea what I’m saying:cool:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Going to be to hard to bs the neighbour of I use something I have no idea what I’m saying:cool:
I have been stubbornly bushels for ever. Past harvest I left the grain cart agrimatics scale in Tonnes. Reported crop insurance yield in tonnes only, have my bin inventory reports in tonnes, grain contracts in tonnes. Well you get the picture. The only time I convert to bushels is to know what the crop yielded. lol
Guess I'm a hybrid like Don's combine.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At what loss???? On your hero passed should be throwing pans to attach a loss number to the T/hr!
Industry standard has gravitated to 1% or less as machines have improved.
Remember when PAMI started testing in 1974 and picked 3% as an arbitrary number for max loss.
PAMI brought an awareness to types of losses (which functions) that wasn’t as well understood nor had been publicly scientifically documented at the time.

On a flat and very uniform canola stand last fall it had became obvious that to keep losses suitable feed rate had to be limited to 17 t/hr.
Thought, I wonder, so I pushed it to engine power limit. That ended up being a X3 of suitable feed rate but crop to hopper only X2.
Drop pan not required just to find out it would be full. By the way, this test only lasted about 30 seconds, at 800$ canola would amount to 110$ extra waste.
Climate Fieldview for some reason takes yield down to 1 kg/ha, only 0.025% on a 4 t/ha crop, watching the instantaneous yield versus the average trend yield to date also becomes a setting confirmation tool.

Peas are exactly the opposite, cleaning peas on any machine is piece of cake and Claas has more separation area plus the flexibility of separate speed setting of the rotors to increase separation, last year ran a cylinder speed as low as 240 while running rotors at 800 at an ideal conditions rate over 80 t/hr.

Ideally engine power limit would be the nice maximum in any crop, however, I don’t believe at available power levels now that can happen.

You are supposed to only change one thing at a time when doing research to properly evaluate that change but at my age I just may not have enough time for that, LOL!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Pami must have been subscription based too? It’s one of my fond memories with my father going through the packet that come in the mail!
It’s incredibly odd that machines costing a fraction of what they do now got put through their paces by a third party but we couldn’t be bothered to have that done on these million $ rigs now!

The 2.5 b-train per hours in peas would be something else. Wouldn’t that be like Guinness type capacity!

What about the header? I’d bet a bag of marbles the convio would out feed the Macdon in peas big time.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pami must have been subscription based too? It’s one of my fond memories with my father going through the packet that come in the mail!
It’s incredibly odd that machines costing a fraction of what they do now got put through their paces by a third party but we couldn’t be bothered to have that done on these million $ rigs now!

The 2.5 b-train per hours in peas would be something else. Wouldn’t that be like Guinness type capacity!

What about the header? I’d bet a bag of marbles the convio would out feed the Macdon in peas big time.
Correct, it was a subscription based service and I was just like your father.
And yes, I also wish PAMI was still in the combine evaluation business and quite likely they would be able to assist me with my little projects.

When the first package of combine tests showed up I contacted PAMI to learn more.
This ultimately lead to a 40 year friendship with Les Hill who are managed the combine evaluation program for the majority of the 18 years it was run. PAMI then became paid for only, no public data operation.
Les retired a couple of years ago after 40 years at PAMI.

Peas don’t have the grandeur of wheat as they are not grown around the world or to nearly the product levels so I doubt such a category exists for Guinness.

Nothing against you Joe but I think, and hope, you are wrong on the header.
How many marbles you talking here, lol?!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Well I kinda forget but Macdon maybe has another change coming up? I’m just going by the much larger cross auger and feed auger. I just can’t see how the Macdon can process more unless something has changed recently.

Well unless it becomes a travel speed thing then floating frame of the Macdon will probably win there. Probably won’t be breaking any ton/hr records in those conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I kinda forget but Macdon maybe has another change coming up?

Well unless it becomes a travel speed thing then floating frame of the Macdon will probably win there. Probably won’t be breaking any ton/hr records in those conditions.
Maybe.

Conditions are not the only thing but they certainly are the main thing!
Hope the kids keep growing these nice crops.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Don,

On last years canola test you did 3x the ground speed and only got 2x in the hopper, BUT the test was only 30 seconds long. Do you think that was enough time to tell if things would stay that bad? Crop is going to back up on the header and inside the combine a lot in the first while when pushing the hydro ahead. I know that there is always a delay on the monitors when the combine heads from normal crop into or out of a heavy low spot in the field.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don,

On last years canola test you did 3x the ground speed and only got 2x in the hopper, BUT the test was only 30 seconds long. Do you think that was enough time to tell if things would stay that bad? Crop is going to back up on the header and inside the combine a lot in the first while when pushing the hydro ahead. I know that there is always a delay on the monitors when the combine heads from normal crop into or out of a heavy low spot in the field.
I see your point and thought the same thing myself but even a steady state feed rate of only 20% higher was not acceptable for losses let alone a 300% increase.
I did run long enough it appeared t/hr had stabilized, it had stopped going up.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember I had this.

Screen shot at 82 t/hr.
Note the four possible adjustments above the Quality cam pea pic.
Auto threshing and separating are not supported for peas thus the grey out, but cleaning and straw chop quality were supported as of last year.
They are all five position, two better or two worse than default center.
Note cleaning set at dirtiest sample, yep, that day that‘s Claas’s idea of a dirty sample.
Also note low loss and low return in the bar graphs, the circle line with arrows at each 20 t increment the max recommended losses.

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will your new machine have the older style wire rotor grates in them?
Yes, the staggered raised finger rotor grates are gone and I believe that is worldwide, NA for sure.
I do not know if they are any different than 700 series had but my guess is they are the same.
Local shop has a 21 in but I haven’t studied it.
Quite often when Claas changes something for the worse the fix is better than the original baseline setup, hoping for a history repeat.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
There’s got to be a way to switch that over to imperial
/sigh

Reactions: Skittlesfarm

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
How about the sieves/cleaning??? It’s just not a giant leap over the yellow/blacks with the exact same cleaning setup. At least not in canola.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts