The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall the A/C belt on my '83 N-6 started jumping off and of course wiped out the fan belts as well. Did this on a couple of occasions and the last time the belt flipped over when the A/C wasn't even engaged. Anyone else encounter this problem ? Am I getting the wrong belt ? I made up a tensioner to keep the belt tight but that did not help. The clutch bearing is good and the pulleys are not worn. Now I'm thinking I may have to install some sort of an idler... Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Balancer for sure.Broken crank follows continued use.Best fix it.There is a place that rebuilds rubber ring balancers.There was talk about it on the Allis forum this past fall.Only in operation so many months a year but very cost effective.Been to their website but don't remember what it is. Could probably search it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a viscous damper on a low hour machine, I didn't think they would go bad. I have had a rubber balancer go bad on a L-2 so am familiar with that setup. How do I trouble shoot a viscous damper or is replacement the only option...I've looked for a leak in it but everything looks dry.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the only way to check a viscous dampener is to remove it and use a micrometer to see if there is any variance in thickness , the silicone gel fluid inside can and does dry out, or if a small dent is present it can restrict the inner doughnut form doing its job. do not know what a dampener is worth, but i am sure a new crank and engine rebuild is way more..

·
Registered
315 Posts
If it gets distorted in any way it won't work.I had a motor mount break on front of 6-71 Detroit.Viscous balancer kissed the cross member.Fixed the mount and couldn't keep alternator belts on it.Balancer had a wiggle in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.