The Combine Forum banner

Which Machine-For Capacity/Durability/Dependability

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been kicked around many times before.

But here it goes...I'm looking to move the F2 out the door after harvest. Wanting to replace it with a rotary, with the capacity to run a 6 row corn head in 200-250 bushel corn, and a 20' platform in 60 bushel beans.

Looking into series 3 N5's, 1440's, and 1460's...I do know that the 1440 is under the size of the other two (less a turbo and heavier axle than the 1460?), but they are very plentiful around here.

So, I guess the questions are, what would be the more dependable machine here. Axial flow or N-series? And secondly, if I found a 1440, how would it perform with those headers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
74 Posts
With those numbers a 1440 will not impress you any. As far as reliability the red one would probably be the better choice but you'll be running slower than you do with your F2. The reason I say that is because dad had a 1460 and it did ok in 150 bu corn with the 6 row but it would overload the shoe at 3.5 mph. I had an Older N6 and it was a pain to work on and went to a 1680, but now dad has an R52 and I have a 72 and wouldn't go back to red.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've been told that the final drives can handle those heads on a 1440, so that shouldn't be an issue. Though I can understand the capacity issue...Since the only other main difference is the turbo on a 1460 (DT436), what kind of luck have people had pepping the D436 in the 1440 to give it a bit more ponies?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First choice is an R5-R50...However, I'm sure I won't find one in the price range I'm willing to put out, right now (especially an R50).

I'm defiantly not needing a class 7 machine right now, but it is a good thought. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've heard of a lot of bad finals in the 40's, we broke 1 on dad's 1460, but we have a lot of hills and mud here so it's pretty tough on them. I put a 516 in my N6 out of an N7 and that made a combine out of it. It just sucked to work on. I'd say find a descent R62 and you'll be money ahead and a lot happier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's good to hear...I haven't completely ruled out an N5, but according to the information I'm reading, it would have to be a series 3 to be worthwhile. Is that agreeable to you?

As with the 1460, I don't see a lot of series 3 N5's around here. Not a lot of N5's in general, to be honest...An N6 would be easy to find. Not really fond of the high RPM's they have that engine turning in them, though, and, it's really too-big, as stated with the other models mentioned.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
First choice is an R5-R50...However, I'm sure I won't find one in the price range I'm willing to put out, right now (especially an R50).

I'm defiantly not needing a class 7 machine right now, but it is a good thought. ;)
The gleaner may be able to be a class 7, but the wider feederhousr would be worth the feeding.. And with the proccesor, losses will not be a problem..

If you can find an N7, don't worry about it being to big.. 20 foot head and 6 row corn are common size
Feederhouse width will be worth it... And the extra HP will never hurt..

·
Registered
129 Posts
An N6 would be easy to find. Not really fond of the high RPM's they have that engine turning in them, though, and, it's really too-big, as stated with the other models mentioned.
The N5 and N6 are physically the same size. If the n6 is to big then so is the n5. The basic difference is the bin capacity, horsepower and more open cage with overfed auger. The horsepower increase is not gained by rpm's. They both turn the same. To the best of my knowledge the different rpm is the difference in year models. Both run higher speed with the Rosa master pump. The series 3 with the Ambac pump run slower on both models. I don't think the n series are that hard to work on. There is a lot of mods that can be done to make them great performers. You get the n5 or n6 either one set up right and you can probably out do the IH 1480. My biggest complaint with the n series is in some years with some soybean varieties the outside cage would build up. Some years I didn't have any problems at all then on other years I had to start adding cage covers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd suppose you're right...Kind of thought that the N6 was a bit wider, even if it really doesn't matter. Does the grain tank capacity come from a wider tank or taller sides?

After further reading, it looks like the later N6's were turned down...However, the earlier N6, using the same Rosamaster pump as the N5, was running around 200 RPM more.

I guess that's another reason to own a later model...With that being said, is it true that the Series 3 machines had 109 updates? Can someone clarify what those were? I guess, I'm kind of wondering if holding out for a Series 3 is really worth it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Look for the thread called "Considering and N6 Yes or Stay away" and start reading. There can't be much not addressed in there, and it's a **** fine read too. Grab a coffee or a beer and enjoy!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's my experience. Have a junked out N5 series 2. Worst machine ever owned and then engine blew. Constanly replacing parts, but was probably worn out and really can't say had anything go bad, once i replaced it. Bought R50 to get thru harvest about 6 years ago and best machine ever owned. Found a cheap N6 series 3 for the engine to go into the N5. Decided to gut the N5 and put all parts into the N6 to fix up. Series three and R series have the same feeder house hookup. Much better option for heads. N6 been a good machine for me. This year it may not see field. I got a bargain on a R7 and planning to use that in corn. My R50 is used for beans. I have had zero problems with the narrower throat on the R50. Regardless of what you look at, many of these machines are worn out and will take some money to bring back to specs. So look over carefully and get some good advice from here if going to look at a particular model.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't know what he wants for it but I have a good friend who in the last few days has decided that he doesn't have time to custom harvest anymore since he's doing more trucking these days and told me that he wants to sell his R50 with a 20' 500 series flex header, he ran it over several acres every year with minimal problems as far as I know. PM me and i'll get his contact info for you if you'd like. I'd sell you an R70 cheap if you hadn't already ruled out a class 7 ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know what he wants for it but I have a good friend who in the last few days has decided that he doesn't have time to custom harvest anymore since he's doing more trucking these days and told me that he wants to sell his R50 with a 20' 500 series flex header, he ran it over several acres every year with minimal problems as far as I know. PM me and i'll get his contact info for you if you'd like. I'd sell you an R70 cheap if you hadn't already ruled out a class 7 ;)
Yeah, I'll message you...But I think all things mentioned are going to be out of my price range. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So y'all have ruled out anything besides a Series 3, for me...Now, I think I know what to keep an eye out for.

Most likely, a Series 3 N5-N6, or a 1460-1480...Though, with other investigation, I think I'd bring a 1440 home for the right deal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.