The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys had trouble with enough cooling. The current arrangements of air assisted turning screen seems a bit sus but it is what it is.
Dust and chaff continue to infiltrate the rad around the spinning screen because I think it is not turning fast enough to keep it out from around the perimeter of the screen.

Ok here is my plan. Get some tape and encase about 6 inches of the screen closest to the rad. In theory this should increase the speed of the screen because of a smaller suction area. Something like a increasing the doped through a smaller aperture?????
Subsequently I expect screen speed to increase which might make the primitive seal arrangement become more efficient, hence less chaff etc in rad.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Had a problem with mine that would stop turning once a day last year in corn and having a corn cob jammed in there stopping it. (amazed a cob could get there also) It overheats pretty quick without it turning. Finally took the blade off and cleaned the condensor for the AC real well with water and air. Never had the problem again and it turned much faster. I usually tried to flush yearly with water but never could get it clean enought till I took the blade off. Just a thought from a problem I've had.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sounds to me like decreased airflow through the rad, either it is plugged with dirt and debris or the fan is not getting up to speed due to worn belts or pulleys. Just a guess... our N-6 rotary screen spins quite fast and we have no problem with cooling or chaff getting by the screen. Put a light on the backside of the rad and have a good look at the passages through it. You might be surprised how many passages are plugged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The "door" seal could be bad and the fan is pulling air in that way bypassing the radiator. You need a tight seal there so the only way the fan can pull air in is through the screen and thus the radiator. A lot of tractors have the same issues when the foam seal between the sheet metal and radiator deteriorates allowing the fan to pull air around the radiator.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Boodles, my new N6 never o'heats. Even on triple digit days. The radiator seems to fight tight around the edges and thier is no oil traces or dirt/straw on the radiator itself. iiquid in the rad is very clean and rust free. The screen itself does not turn very fast even at full throttle. Only clean the rad and screen at seasons end and very little to clean out then. Should be noted that most of my field dust here is sand and I don't have the extreme dust/dirt conditions that some farms have. Even cutting close to the ground in lodged wheat there isn't a lot of airborne dust/straw fogging up around the combine.
Is it possible that you have a slipping water pump impeller or combustion chamber leak into cooling system?
On radiators where i've had a problem with oil and dirt in the fins I have used plain old Dawn dish wash soap. Sprayed on heavy on a warm radiator and then a gentle spray of water after a few minutes to wash out oil and dust.Being very careful to not put to mutch pressure on fins and bend them over to stop easy air flow. On thick heavy radiators it may 2 or 3 soap/water cleanings to get most of the oil and dirt out.
Good luck, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
25 Posts
my opinion is no. it wont if it is same set up as L3 with the second fan attached to the inside of the screen. That second fan has air being sucked through it and that is what causes it to move on an L3 ,changing the size, location and pitch of the blades will affect speed the more air going through second fan the faster it will spin, they offered a brush kit at one time that was put on the door and the bristles helped to seal the gap between door and screen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.