The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing out the main drive pulley with a larger one that allows the engine to run at lower RPM's. Currently the alarm beeps until the engine reach's 2500. Do I need to change the little sensor also. From what I've been told this lowers the rpm's to 2200.
TIA

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you pull out the module in the cab, up by the headliner, there is an adjustment screw on the back to allow you to change the alarm setpoint. I'm not sure which way to turn it to lower the alarm setpoint, but your dealer or serviceman should be able to tell you. It has the procedure in the service manual. You can also unplug the module and it will keep the rpm alarm from sounding, but the display will still flash when in rpm mode. The other alarms will continue to function too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Will the lower RPM for the engine reduce the horses available to do the work? Will it also cause the engine to lug/stress more in 'heavy' conditions? I would think that lugging/stressing the engine would shorten it's life as opposed to a higher rpm with infrequent load pulldown. Most engines tend to have shorter piston, rings and rod assembly life when run under higher load operation caused by slowdown and then frequently accelerating to get the 'set' power back.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok now I am confused. Seems this was one of the updates but I understand your point very well. Didn't even think about that. So what to do what to do. I have it torn apart so I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon. Corn is about ready.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more Question I am needing guidence on.
When I engauge the seperator, I hear what sounds like a "bearing" going out. The noise started last fall as a howl and now moved to sqeak. It sounds like it's coming from the counter shaft area and can really hear it from underneath in the hydro compartment. I have torn the counter shaft assembly apart and everything looks it great shape. Come to find out it was recently rebuilt. I have tried to locate the noise from surrounding bearings with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With the seperator running at an idle and the "squeak" making itself heard, take a can of WD40 (or similar spray) and spray it onto the spinning seperator clutch and try to get in on those large drive pins and see if the noise doesn't go away. A little grease smeared on those drive pins is a good thing to prevent noise and wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts