The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will worn cylinder bars cause rotor loss? The bolt heads on the bars are about half worn off. Started cutting milo today and have a lot of grain on the rear axle. Plants are still green and moisture is on the high side (17%), some lodging also which causes me to run more material. Machine is set by the book and is doing a decent job of cleaning. Rotor is standard setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
110 Posts
You could be dealing with a physics problem not a setting issue. This has always been an issue with my R72. Rotary combines tend to chew up crops more than conventional combines, because they both thrash and seperate with rotary motion. Conventional combines seperate with the walkers which is more gentle. You are simply creating MOG (material other than grain) that is a similar size and weight. It is also somewhat sticky.
So my best advise is to. keep opening the concave and slowing is down the rotor until you see an un-acceptable amount of grain being left in the milo heads. Also run your grain head just as high as possible to reduce the amount of leaves coming in. Set the return to STD NOT return to cylinder. Run as much wind as possible.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Will worn cylinder bars cause rotor loss? The bolt heads on the bars are about half worn off. Started cutting milo today and have a lot of grain on the rear axle. Plants are still green and moisture is on the high side (17%), some lodging also which causes me to run more material. Machine is set by the book and is doing a decent job of cleaning. Rotor is standard setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Worn cyclinder bars could have an affect because you are using them too much to thrash it. I have said this a hundred times. . Keep as much material off the sieves as possible. Dont belt the stalks to powder, shove them on the sieve and expect a good sample. Keep the stalks going out the back where they belong by slowing the rotor down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.