The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever get a tote of atrazine that make terrible wet heavy foam? What can you do with it? I have a half tote now of atrazine that I was mixing with RUP powermax and it was terrible. I could fill the sprayer with no foam in it, but as I sprayed it would build to fill the tank, whether I used the agitator or not. Wet, heavy, let it sit overnight stuff. Used jugs of defoamer before and after, to no avail. Company doesn't want it back. " must be the surfactant in the glyphosate"
I want to spike Halex with it but I'm scared to put it in the tank again.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That sounds like a nightmare, Ive had atrazine leave behind globs of goo in my tender trailers but never foamed like you are describing. But i run my own surfactants/water conditioner in conjunction with RUP powermax and the atrazine. I do hate handline atrazine though, even under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Thats an odd one... Never heard of atrazine foaming like that, but I constantly have problems with round up, however anti foam always knocks it down in minutes. Usually just when I am mixing never in the field cause it is sloshing around enough.

Congrats you got a wierd one.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If you spray something else do you have a foaming problem? I'm wondering about an equipment problem that is drawing air into the pump.

If not that, I wonder about the formulation of your tote. Is this branded or generic? I think I'd sit on the rest of that tote until next year to see if it performs properly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is generic atrazine that supposedly is just relabeled from Syngenta. Foam breaker was exposed to 30 ish degree weather in the truck cab so I ran to a couple of suppliers and tried new from both to no avail. I do have a good inductor, just a lot easier to pull a lever and flip a switch than dump bags. Plus my experience has been flowable liquids are easier to mix than dry flowables. at least atrazine is getting cheap! trouble is you can't just push it into a hole somewhere.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I really doubt that the powermax is bad if it is actual brand chemical. But this generic atrazine sounds like it could use a test.

Are you conditioning the water with anything before you put in the chems? What order are adding the chems?

I dont want to "read into...." but it sounds like you are in a hurry to get the rig loaded and get going. Perhaps if your water needs conditioning, add it to the tender tank so you have the proper water, but dont have to wait for it in the sprayer before adding chems. Then, "IF" I remember right, you are supposed to ad the more acidic chemical first then working your way to the more alkaline?

If a good defoamer is not calming this issue, you have one heck of a reaction going on. Can you go to the dealer and buy one load worth of branded atrazine and give it a go to see if it foams?

IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Power max isn't the issue. I am using synurgize to treat the water. But hardness shouldn't have an effect on foam any way. Sure I'm in a hurry, and it was atrazine and then RUP. NO FOAM in sprayer when loaded. Bounce around a while and whammo. Huge, wet, sticky, foam. Like almost 20% liquid weight stuff. Sucking air, and let it sit over night and have 150 gallon in an 800 gallon tank. Loading with a 3" pump so there is no doubt it is agitating while loading, even with sprayer agitator off. I told the dealer I have to get it from a different company no matter if I have to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We had the same problem with RU powermax and atrazine. Couldn't stop the foam. Agitation on or off. Eductor or top load. Ran generic glyphs with same brand generic atrazine with no problem.
Can't explain it , hope it never happens again. Tried defoam before during and after. Tough nasty foam.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup. Mixed fine with halex ( syngenta glyphosate) its the power max atrazine combo. Looks like its back to Durango here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It sounds like an incompatibility between the 2 chemicals. I had the same problem with RUP and Lexar (Syngenta) and when I switched to Touchdown (Syngenta) the problem went away. You may also try using a compatibility agent the next time you mix those 2 particular chemicals.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had the same problem with Harness Extra, Powermax and 2-4-D this spring. Had 100 gallons worth of foam in a 1,200 gallon tank. Nothing I could do would help the situation. Its a mix I've used for years and never recall having the issue with foaming that I had this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts