The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first hooked up the 3450 air cart this spring, I was getting errors about remote 2 not installed. Went through the connections, problem remained, called dealer who said to try unplugging rear terminator ( TBT). Which solved the problem, for a few minutes, then got a similar error about communication to remotes, I tried unplugging the tractor end terminator, still errors, plugged it back in, problem went away. I assumed I needed to replace the terminator(s), but haven't been to town to get one. In the meantime, it has seeded almost 800 acres without issue. Do I need to replace it? What is its purpose?

Both smell like hot electrical components.

Unrelated problem I have had since day one, is randomly seeing an error communication erro to switch box. unpluyg and replug switch box and problem goes away, then go back and reseed where it quit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I believe they are active terminators which somehow stabilize the bus by injecting voltage. That's different from passive terminators, which are just 120 ohm resistors.

I suspect your other problem is actually related. A new active terminator on the back will probably solve both problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you think of the communication wires or can bus as a still lake and each communication as a drop in it producing a ripple when that ripple reaches the shore it bounces back and contaminates the initial ripple. The terminator is at each end of the cab bus preventing the bounce back keeping the communication clean and uncluttered. I would install new terminators, there are testing procedures but the passives are much easier to test with more accurate results.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense, thank you. I did order a new one today anyways, needed other parts from the same place.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I kept an extra on hand this year using my dad's seeder. I used it. That usually fixes those strange problems on flexi 50 series carts. Very simple thing to try.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Absolutely you need the terminators. It’s a freak of nature your operating without one. It’s just resistance across the bus lines the raises the current of the signals a bit and you get more noise rejection. Generally the bus tests for this resistance and won’t even try to communicate without it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On an earlier drill we had terminator issues and would unplug and re-plug and go again. A tech said we didn't need them unless we were around power lines. I said I'm under two power lines right now. New terminator solved the issue.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So which terminator belongs where. The one from the back of the cart ( tow between), nothing connected at rear of cart, and it is black and says passive, dealer mentioned it should be grey. Which belongs where?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The one by the monitor in the cab is cream to grey colored and the one at the back of the system, whether it be the back of the cart or the back of the drill, is black.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Haha, I didn't know they are diffrent. I have ran grey and black in the back. Both worked. I think I have grey in the back now. I'll have to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts