The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so let me tell you all a story. Our farm has a 97,TX66 combine nice machine its simpe to operate but the eletrical had always been a problem on it. Its been a great machine to learn how to operate. but if something breaks its a horriable thing to fix scince there is no mechanic trained in our area for it because its all rotories around here and the old New Holland dealership around here was a very poor setup. Now anyways this year was going great with the machine no major breakdowns. But we lost the month of october with about 5-6 hundred acres left on the ground flax and canola. So we got last week on thursday to really start getting this crop off. We hired 2 more combines(neighbors) to come and help.

Anyways started on canola we were about done the canola field when the feeder house all of a sudden didnt want to go up. So i call to my pops who was helping out one of the other combines because he had blown a clutch off. ( TR87 wanted to keep up with a CR 9060)so a mechanic was actually out fixing the Tr so he came over and looked at it. completly stumpped the header actually wouldnt lift when we were looking at it. So he told us the best we could do was to come out the next morning and knock on some wood and he would try and figure it out when he got back to the shop.

Well Tommorrow comes and the header lifts. Then slowly it starts going back to the state of last night to the point were we didnt even lift the header up to turn the corners. We managed to find some switches that override the controlls for the header but we cant use those for all of next year as finishing with it this year was hard enough.

So the neighbour who is also a very close freind suggested that we get a Tr99. But my Father is wanting a 960 but we still having to do a little upgrading to the farm so a 960 is kinda out of the equation unless we get a really good deal. which will be highly unlikley around these parts.

Anyways what im really trying to ask is how a Tr99 would compare to a Cr 960/9060 in terms of capacity. and how would it be able to handle a 36' draper.

we mostly grow Pea's Barley, Wheat , Canola and Flax. canola is the only thing swathed and sometimes peas.

and maybe list some problems commonly found on both of them. And we have about 1500 acres.
thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Go for a TR98 way cheaper than 99 or CR try to find a good one with not alot of hours on it they have close to the same capacity as the 99. Our 98 when everything is dry will keep up to our 9060. We used to combine 4000ac with our 98 alone only pushing a 30' header. You can probably buy a good 98 for around $50,000 compared to 80 or 100 for a 99 and 125 to 150 for a CR960.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We run a TR99 and demo'd a CR960 this fall. Only had high-moisture canola to demo it on. Moisture was 12-13% on a 35' swath yielding 35-40 bpa.
With the poor conditions in mind the CR would average probably 3.5-4.5 mph and the 99 3-4mph.

The TR99 is an excellent machine for the $.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Get a service manual and fix it.
Its probabley a bad connection in one of the plugs
going into the computer bay. Unplug them and
plug them back in. Do them all if you dont
have the manual to tell you which one it is.
Make sure you keep track of the o-ring in
the connector.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I were you I would buy a cx8080 or 8090 because thode machines can run in good weather conditions but also in bad conditions.
I haved runed one this year in Holland and France and it`s a very great machines and I haved tested a couple of them like John Deere, Case Ih, Fendt and Deutz-Fahr but the NH CX80xx is the best of them all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is very little difference between a TR98 and TR99, most can be field upgraded. A CR9060 will not keep up with our well tuned TR98. We have to go a CR9080 to maintain the same capacity. Some of the shortcomings of the TR are still present on the CR. One of the biggest concerns with the CR's is the Iveco engine. As it sounds like service is an issue, the TR's are much easier to keep running, no CANBUS. If labor is not an issue, you can get two TR's for the price of a CR, and have more capacity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever you're smoking mmaddox, I want some. Takes a 9080 to keep up with you're 98? Dream on. My neighbor has a 9070 that walks all over his 99. A 9060 will keep up with a 98.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mmadox...give your head a shake...I have had TRs from the TR70,TR85,TR95,TR96,TR98 CR960 and CR9060....All good combines but the CR9060 walks away from a TR98 & TR99....You or someone else obviously has the CR set very incorrectly!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If cost is a factor have you thought about buying a CASE IH 2388. They are much cheaper to maintain than a New Holland TR. Not knocking the TR as they are a great machine, But they are a High maintenance machine. I have been privileged to work on both brands of machines and If I was going to recommend a header to anyone it would be a Case IH. Single rotors are much more efficient and deliver a much more even matt of grain and mog to the sieves.

·
Registered
628 Posts
mmaddox we have a 98 and 9060 running the same heads and the 9060 will run .5mph faster during the day and 2 to sometimes 3 mph faster when thing start to get tough. The 98 are very good combine and do have a lot of capacity for their price and can hang with all the big combines

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Our CR970 could eat our TR98 (which ate a 9660STS and ran with a 7010). The 9070 now has probably 40% more capacity than the TR. Maybe both rotors should be engaged on the 9080

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You know I read this once in a while and can't help feel I may be missing out on something?

Don

Its all good Don as long as you don't inhale

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Surprised Bill Clinton hangs around Combine forum.

OH just a minute!
Monica's not supposed to inhale.
Oh oh probably a different topic!

Don

You know eventually somebody is going to kick me me in the a** on these smartassed posts!
Please do it tonight while I'm still on Kokanee!

G

·
Surprised Bill Clinton hangs around Combine forum.

OH just a minute!
Monica's not supposed to inhale.
Oh oh probably a different topic!

Don

You know eventually somebody is going to kick me me in the a** on these smartassed posts!
Please do it tonight while I'm still on Kokanee!

still on Kokanee?? The farm show was over on saturday, that must have been one heck of an after party

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Hey don't be so judgmental.

I wasn't at the show Saturday (I was at a funeral in Three Hills) but I hear it was...
well...quiet, certainly as far as the farmers go.

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Wouldn't have mattered.
For a lot of the kids it was a super long weekend after Remembrance day,
so that took care of the "normal" Saturday crowd.
Farmers know Saturday is usually the city crowd and tend to stay away.
This year it would have been the day for a farmer to go.

Don

·
Registered
64 Posts
You Canadians crack me up! Didn't inhale, yah right. Gota say, I really miss Kokanee, what a great beer! Can't find it anywhere in Texas. I drank galons of the stuff in Kelowna BC about 10 yrs ago. I thought that darn sea monster would eat me.
2388 all the way.
John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts