The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to make a big mistake. I would rather spend a couple more dollars and be totally proud of my purchase. Looking for about a 10,000 bu for on farm storage, but expandable (up). I want to have the ability to dry either corn, wheat, or soybeans if needed. Ready to work at a moments notice. The local storarge is always full. Recommendations before some salesman gets here are welcome. I thank you all!

1. Bin manufacturer
2. Diameter
3. Floor
4. Stirrers
5. Fans
6. Foundation

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you want to ability to add sheets in the future for more capacity, that will be a detriment to the drying ability with a standard burner/fan stirrator setup- about your best option will be a GSI TopDry bin. A 30' diameter can be expanded to almost 20K bu. That being said- I would build a 36' if money will allow- just think how corn yields have grown the last 10 yrs. Everyone I know that has one likes the way they work. Check out their website- lots of good info.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't make your life miserable with stirators etc. A top dry is very gentle; enough to the point that we did tofu beans in it last year at 100 degrees and had no seed coat damage problems. Capacity is pretty good too, but not having the headache of all the moving parts with a stirring system will make you never look back. I have had mine 8 years and all I have had to put in it is 2 temp sensors and one gasket in the gas regulator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sukup manufacturing makes a good bin. They make the best fans, heaters, powersweeps and stiriing machines. top dry bins will give good thru put but will be more energy expensive and in wet years you may have to double dry grain. Stirring machines will give you better grain quality more flexibility with drying temperatures. Don't build over 5 rings (5 by 44inches} Use centrifugal fans (quiet) and use 2 fans and heaters for capacity. Put in a power sweep for ease of unloading and a 20 foot vertical to load into trucks or other bins. Put in airways on walls or a bin liner to deal with moisture. Lots of roof vents. Sukup bins can be raised at eave for added ventilation and moisture removal. Put stairway on outside for ease of access and ladder on the inside. I have over 35 years in this business and can offer any advice you need. I am a farmer so no sales BS.
Terry Byrne

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can't tell u much on the dryin part but as far as bins go, if u have 3phase or single makes a big difference on your fan setup but I would recomend going 5-10 k bigger than what u think is big enough, I know cost is more but I your young n expanding your operation you'll be glad you did 5 years down the road. We put up a sukup 30' x 7 ring 5 yrs ago n that that it was huge, now wish it was twice that size cause need more room an bin price has doubled. As far as brand like our sukup has 8" unload with power sweep, also have a gsi nothin wrong with either one. Personally like sukup bin with a hutchison or gsi unload auger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts