The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a used combine for the farm because I am tired of waiting on custom harvesters to get to me on their time. I combine approximately 200-400 acres of beans/wheat/milo and some corn depending on price every year mostly on flat land. I am looking at a used 1640 (2900 engine hrs IH 466 engine '85 model) and need help evaluating the machine! I have been around a good many combines but never owned one. Please help!-- any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First check all of your basics. Bearings, bushings, etc...
Second check all of your augers, under the rotor, clean grain, unloading auger sump (the auger going up), return auger, etc..
Third what kind of shape is the rotor in?
Forth Check feeder house Chain
Does it have rock trap?
Straw chopper?
Rock trap is almost a must if you are doing any dry beans or even soys

Bret

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with 1666CWS. In addition to those items the 466 is going to use some oil. Ours has used a quart or so per day since we have had it. We also had a 1822 cotton picker that had a 466 and it used about the same amount of oil each day.
Check the rotor bars and the elephant ears (the impeller on the front of the rotor)
Find out if it has the specialty rotor or the standard rotor. The combine came from the factory with the standard rotor but a lot of people have put the specialty rotor in them.
Does the combine come with any headers? If so what model and size?
Be sure to check the condition of the elevator chains.
If you have any questions or want to talk to someone about a 1640 give me a call at 252-332-3238 pretty much any day after 6:00pm. My name is Travis and I'm in the eastern time zone.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here is a list of everything I've done to my 1660 since 2002 when I bought it. If the 1640 you look at is in bad shape this is what it takes to get it in good condition again. You don't need the updates but they are worth the money

2002:
Bought from Tri County with 3500 hrs
All new augers
New transition cone
New elevator chains
2003:
New tires
New elephant ears and rasp bars
2004:
Rebuilt and hard surfaced concaves
Rebuilt clean grain auger trough
New feeder chain
New reverser motor
2005:
Traded for 20ft header
New unloading auger elbow
New water pump
2006:
New hydrostat and coupler
New top chaffer screen
2007:
Completely new and updated extended wear unloading system (augers, tubes, gearboxes)
Poly liner in grain tank
New boot on bottom of vertical auger
New rear axle
Painted with new decals
New cab interior
2008:
Stewert steel excellerator auger front end on rotor
New rasp bars and kickers
New bushings and bolts in rotor drive hub
New feeder chain
New tri-rib pulley on feeder with bearings and belt
Separator and rotor drive reworked
New unloading auger cable
Reworked feeder (floor, bearings, drum, and faceplate)
Wooden blocks on bed augers
Bottom of clean grain elevator replaced
Injector pump and injectors rebuilt
New hydraulic pump
New oil pump
GS2 yield monitor
Rebuilt spreaders
New rotor belt
HID light
Spare alternator

Header
2008:
New floor pans and LH divider and LH reel drive
New RH drive shaft
New wobble box
New height sensing cable
Rebuilt auger finger system
New bushings in reel
New guards and knife

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the help guys! Down here peanuts are king, and i can take you through a peanut combine blind-folded, but these machines are a horse of a different color! I'm not sure if it has a rock trap or not because I haven't been to see the machine yet. Is that really a must? It also comes with a 1020 platform and an 844 four row corn head which I am told are "field ready". I have plenty of mechanical knowledge, but just not about these machines. Any more help that you could provide would still be much appreciated!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Best thing you could do if you're not sure what you're looking at is get a combine mechanic to go with you (preferably one you know & trust and will have a decent look). What you spend on his / her time in the short term may benefit you in the long term

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rock trap is nice to have if you do any drybeans atleast in my area. Everything is direct cut, you wouldnt believe the stones i can pick up even after the ground has been rolled. But I some areas i suppose that you may not need a rock trap. If you do I suggest that you change the rock beater to a razor rock beater to improve feeding to the rotor.

I've never seen something that was for sale that was "field ready"

·
Registered
15 Posts
How wide is the 1020 head? As for the 844 corn head it will work but it is very old and it's only a 4 row which means the combine wheels will be riding the top of the row since the combine stradles 3 rows. THis may not be an issue for you but if you are in a no-till or strip-till application you probably don't to ride the top of the row.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had two 1480's, one with the 466 and one with a 436. They both used quite a bit of oil when they got about 50 hours on an oil change. I switched to 15-50 Mistick and I might have used 2 quarts in a hundred hours after making the switch. I had better oil pressure and never had any problems with the motors. I ran the 436 that way for about 6 years. I sold it local 3 years ago and it is still running with no problems. They are still running the 15-50 oil in it.

Another area to check is the bottom of the grain bin. Pull the inspection panel of the left hand side of the combine and the bottom of the bin is just above the rotor. I looked at a 1680 that was supposed to be in excellent condition and i was able to poke my finger through the bottom of the bin in the auger bed.

If the elephant ears need replacing consider the after market AFX head instead of elephant ears. It will feed better and take less power to run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much for the responses, they have all helped a whole lot! I have to agree with robmgrig that "field ready" usually means that it has only been greased! That is one I will have to remember! Props to Caseihaxialflow- as the best advice is to let somebody that has worked on one evaluate one-- wise beyond your years man!! It sucks to have all the "want to" without any of the knowledge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts