The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an old single post Leon vehicle hoist that the lowering solenoid is weak on. Having trouble finding where to find one. Searched Digikey for many hours hoping that I would stumble across the correct one but so far no luck. Any of you have an idea on where to find it?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Perhaps you could rebuild it yourself??
As simple as getting a spool of coated wire the right size and doing the same length or same number of wraps??
Looks like a simple enough coil...

Or put a lever on it and manually actuate it..

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps you could rebuild it yourself??
As simple as getting a spool of coated wire the right size and doing the same length or same number of wraps??
Looks like a simple enough coil...

Or put a lever on it and manually actuate it..
I will see how to get inside the winding tomorrow.

The solenoid still works, but doesn't have the strength to move the hydraulic valve anymore. I've taken to using a flat blade screw driver to pry the valve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you try phoning Digi-Key? Wondering if they have something that would match up but isn't necessarily the same make and model as the current one. I have found it's way quicker to phone them when I have a question or not sure what I might need exactly. They put a tech on the phone and can usually find something that will work for me, seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Never got involved in finding a replacement assembly like that. There were instances where a coil failed or small motor and we had either our motor shop redo it or sent it out to a shop more specialized in small stuff. It's a matter of unwinding and counting the turns and then replacing with similar wire. Not just the gauge but insulation thickness matters. Too thick insulation and you may not get the same number of turns onto the unit without running out of space. And you have to keep it tight. I would say $100 - $200 should get it rewound. Usually minimum billing policy is what sets the price. Stockdales in Regina might take it on.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I’m wondering if the voltage is just to low. If the battery is old maybe the pump is dropping it to low for the solenoid to actuate the valve.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
That's true Joe. I am assuming Primer checked the voltage at the leads when operating the solenoid but if that hasn't been checked then that would be the first thing to do. It does get a little more complicated because there can be shorted turns in the coil making it weaker in strength and also drawing more current. Coils don't always simply short out and burn or blow a fuse or go open circuit. Some keep working but are weak. The other possibility is mechanical friction, dirt, etc on the plunger. They are magnets when energized so can find metal crap in places causing issues. A solenoid like that which is still half fast operating is because of weak voltage, shorted turns or mechanical binding.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it was a voltage issue, because it used to be that it just wouldn't work at the top of stroke but then it worsened to not even being able to lower the hoist empty at any height. The battery was replaced in this and I checked voltages. Even hot wired the solenoid to the battery to test with no change. With no load, the solenoid works, but the valve takes a lot of force to overcome initial resistance.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
It could be the valve itself has some grit in it causing it to drag. There is no good way to test the coil and prove its fine. You would need to find the exact same one and get data on coil resistance and, better yet, amperage draw to compare to what you have. And of course the chance the new one is wound a bit different so has different characteristics so you are back to not knowing. So once you found one you may as well buy it.
The nice thing is yours isn't a melted down pile of garbage so a shop can deconstruct it and make another one. Finding a new one is certainly the better option.

With no other place to look and not knowing where to begin I may be inclined to give these guys a call because I have dealt with them over the years at the Texas location:
Coils/solenoids of all different sizes are used on circuit breakers, motor starters and motor control so not something foreign to them. I wouldn't send my coil to them to get rewound but maybe they have some knowledge to help steer a guy in the right direction or maybe they would take measurements from you and ship you something that might work.
Otherwise you would be going the route of trying various companies who make the hydraulic packs and see what they use. It doesn't need to be the same dimensions as you could make an adapter plate, it just needs the stroke and force to move the plunger so what ever moves the valve spool on a brand new unit should move the spool on an old unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts