The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well steigerman we all don't have an extra 15,000 sitting around collecting dust, If i wanted smart a** answers i woulda asked for them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thats not really smart a**. He's right. Haven't seen any 30% chips for 9.0L but you start to run into issues at that power level. You would need an EGT gauge, especially because some engine components are lesser built on the 9670 vs 9770. Rotor drives and belt are also smaller on 9670. I would have to agree and say your only realistic choice is a larger combine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got a 9670 with a 612C head, got a bully dog chip for it, is there any way to tweek anything if the chip is not enough HP for it. even sending it to a disal place is and option. Is there any chips out there that give more than 20% power boost?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
430u, didn't you post last February asking advice about ordering a 9670 with a 612C? The overwhelming concensus seemed to be don"t do it. If you want to run a 12 row chopper head you need a 9870. I believe Alex made that quite clear.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Somebody better tell our 9770 it's not supposed to run 12 row chopper heads. On hilly ground it groaned, but we just had to slow down. I'm also in the camp that there are very few differences (if any) between the 96/9770. It'd be an easier decision if the 9870 wasn't 30 grand more.

Mother Deere does have the EPA breathing down their neck on the chip thing. Territory managers are supposed to be notified if the lock on the connection to the pump is broken or otherwise tampered with. Tier 3 has not been fun, 4 looks to be less fun than a date with Andrea Dworkin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
YA 80tenor I did post about it last februaury and ordered the 9670 all ive heard is use the 9770 now u say u gotta get the big one, do u realize how much of a waste that is for my operation i only have 2000 acres, good christ what a waste of money for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is the limiting factor in the engine of the 9670 vs the 9770? is it the injectors or what i thought they were the same built engine? What on the 9770 is bigger than the 9670 i was told its all pretty much the same except HP.?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can someone tell us the differences between the 9670 and 9770 other than the horsepower and the optional tank/ unload? According to the spec sheet the 9670 is rated for a 12RN head. And weighs less than 100 lbs less than the 9770.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On a 9770 the rotor drive system is beefier, the driveline running up front to the PC gearcase is heavier, the sep drive clutch has more disks, the CG system can handle more. Sure there's more but that stands out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Have you even run it in corn yet? Is the 612 a stalkmaster head? What are your yields, what is the terrain? Do you have 4wd? If it's brand new don't be jacking with the d**n thing or bye bye warranty. If it's north of 300 ponies now I would try it before I did anything and then before screwing with the fuel system I would look at an 8 row head.

jd

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are places that make 30% chips - trying calling a few of these:

http://www.schlagel.net/

http://www.pdqperformance.com/

http://www.illinoisdynocenter.biz/catego....04?categoryId=2

Talk to some of these guys - they have been very helpful to us and for our applications they have been able to give a lot of advice.

Our experience with the 8.1L engines in tractors was that the exact same engine is used in every application. The only difference we found is that the oil dipstick filler neck is slightly longer on the higher hp applications. This causes you to put extra oil in. So that's what we do in our chipped engines, add a little more oil. We have chips in an 8420T, 8530, 7320, and 4920 Sprayer. We also used to have an 8100 and 8300, both chipped.

A side note - it's nice to have the horsepower but the fuel economy is one of the main reasons we run chips. Using the performance monitor in the GS2 as a baseline, pulling a digger with the 8420T it will run .3-.4 gal/ac. Shut it off, stick the chip in, and you will run .2-.3 gal/ac. We've switched it out many times and the results are consistent. I do believe they make a difference, and it adds up.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
was told by service manager that computer will sense any attempt to increase fuel or power levels, will result in blowing a link and reduce hp to 175 until link is replaced. build date 8/13

·
Registered
778 Posts
Somebody better tell our 9770 it's not supposed to run 12 row chopper heads. On hilly ground it groaned, but we just had to slow down. I'm also in the camp that there are very few differences (if any) between the 96/9770. It'd be an easier decision if the 9870 wasn't 30 grand more.

Mother Deere does have the EPA breathing down their neck on the chip thing. Territory managers are supposed to be notified if the lock on the connection to the pump is broken or otherwise tampered with. Tier 3 has not been fun, 4 looks to be less fun than a date with Andrea Dworkin.

Actually, any power chip that is not EPA certified cannot be advertised for sale. If you see power chips advertised on the web they are certified. Deere was the one that tried to get rid of chips by pushing the EPA issue but some of the chip companies went through with the certification and of course they passed with cleaner numbers than stock Deere engines. Hence the increase in fuel economy. It was a total backfire on Deere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We have several 9670sts pulling 612c's however non are chopping , if you have a chopping head be ready for some real nightmares, low power, electric clutch failures, drive shaft hanger bearing failures, and feederhouse drive line failures, since the hi torque drive is 12 row ready[picking] not chopping, if you have a chopping head your dealer should have put you in to a 9770sts with commandtouch feederhouse drive, then you at least be able to pick and chop. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: 9670 2009 on 612c chopping head

Any thoughts about a 612c chopping head on a 9670 if hp and grain separation is not the concerns? what about the feeder house . my drive is the hd we have been running a 12 row for years with knife rolls and the 96 works great. but we are concerned about the drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts