The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't post here often, but really need help.
last year was first year with a green combine. i put a 974 flexdraper put on a 9650STS, and I understood that you have to calibrate a header before using auto header height. anyways, never got it to calibrate successfully, always got a voltage too high or too low error code. finally gave up and ran it by hand.
i think it even gave error codes on the left and right sensors, which there isn't more than 1 on a macdon.
is there something in the corner post to program it for 1 sensor?

got a '06 9660 this year, and thought i would try it on that, but same thing er94 or er96 which says too high or too low voltage on center sensor. like i said, i am really a rookie on this header calibrating, could someone help me trouble shoot or walk me through this process. i don't know what the book means by setting the minimum height, does that mean just touching the ground, or the maximum down pressure you would want?? and the max height says feeder raised up all the way??
b.t.w. on the 9650 last year i was able to use the header height resume, and adjust it with the dial,,,, without successfully calibrating it. only other application was using an older pickup head on the machine, and cutting wheat with the macdon.
i am starting to think it is a crossed wire or something wrong with the header. i did check the potentiometer last year, and it was going though a full range of voltages.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it is an ER94 or 96 its a problem with the center height sensor. To see what voltage the combine is getting out of the sensor you need press some buttons on the center corner post display. Pressing these buttons will bring up numbers and letters on your Triple Display Tachometer. First press the service button (The Open Book), then press the up arrow (+) untill you see E0 1, then press the enter key (bottom right). E01 is all the sensors on the head that you are hooked up to. Then push the up arrow (+) and look for sensor number 26 (the top number). Sensor 24 is the left side sensor (for contour master equipped heads) 26 is the center sensor and 28 is the right sensor. The numbers under the sensor # is the voltage that is created by the sensor. With that voltage number you can adjust the sensor to be in the proper voltage ranges. When the head is up in the air, the voltage needs to be less than 4.5V and when the head is down it needs to be above 1.5V. When the voltage is in that range on all three sensors (or however many your head has) your calibration procedure will work. When you are done looking at the voltages press the return button (arrow that turns and points to the left) to take you back to the tach.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked the voltages in the up and down position. the only one reading a voltage was 024, which you said was the left side sensor?? the voltage seemed to be reading right in the range you said it should be. The sensors read 0 while i went up and down with the header. are you sure that 026 is the the center sensor,, does this mean there is a wire in the wrong location in the main harness? is there a way to tell the combine to read a different sensor?? thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i finlly got it,, i think it was a matter of getting enough difference in voltage between the up and the down. thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sorry, i did tell you the wrong numbers. #22 is the left sensor , 24 center and 26 right. glad to hear it worked. Deere should publish how to do this to find the sensor voltages in the operators manual. Knowing how to find the voltages has been the most useful information you can have for these combines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying calbate a 2001 9650 combine header return to cutting hight and keep getting a error 091 code. it is a non flex macdon. It worked fine untill the jd tec changed the header card Because of a card falure. Now when we try to calbrate it gets this falure code. but you can not pull it up in the corner post to adjust it. any help out there? Thanks Gale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts