The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks. I am looking at a Series III N5 to replace my 7700 and 760. I know I wont replace the capacity of the 2 but when I don't have the bodies to run both of them one isn't doing any good any how. I know a little about gleaners and have an excelent dealer. I will talke to him tomorrow but I thought I would see what you guys have to say as well. It has the large N5 decal and the Series III decal as well does that make it an 82? I don't believe the hours because it says 1400 engine and 800 sep. the condition of the galvanizing and the pullies not being grooved at all makes me think it may be right on hours but the cage is starting to pinch together in a couple spots and will wear through soon and have a few rectangles instead of squares. The cylender bar bolts are showing wear on the head as well and they look about finished to me. The helicals I don't know they still seem fairly thick the worn edge is rounded I would say a little less than half the height of the bar. How bad is that? How long does the cage have left? Am I right about the bars? Will I be able to control this thing at the speed reqired to run 40 bpa wheat with a 22 foot head? I think this combine is a cherry. It just looks right, its not perfect but i just have a feeling that it could be a good one. So what can you tell me about the N5s in general I am an eager sponge for you wisdom thanks again
Levi

·
Registered
405 Posts
Levisthered, there were never too many sold around our area but a near neighbour had one for years and seemed to get a good run out of it. If memory serves me correct it had the same rotor but the cage was closed a bit off to reduce separation area and horsepower requirements. They ran a 24 foot head on it and it worked well from what we used to see.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Levisthered-we owned a N5 some years back. I believe it was a very early model 79 or 80 maybe and it was nothing but a headache. It never would feed right and would run slugs through the machine so you had to always be on the stick to pull back or else it would plug. However, with that being said the previous owners did a lot of tinkering on It and really messed with it. Having worked on the Ns and the Rs the N series machines are harder to work on as they are more compact and cramped and the engineers didn't always design things with ease of fixing in mind. We have also owned a N6 and N7 and both are good machines so I think that that N5 was a lemon. I doubt you will have any problem keepin it under control in 40bpa. You could always trade the 22' in for a 25' if you can't keep the machine full. As for the cage we are in the process of rebuildng ours in our R72. The time left depends on how bad you want to let it get. If you did the cage now Or maybe even next year, you can build it back up easily with a wire feed welder. Or you can let it go a year or two til like you said you have rectangles instead of squares. Then you will have to replace parts of the cage that are gone with 1/4 inch keystock.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts