The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a picture of a bean sieve. I want to make a perforated bean sieve for our M3 as I cannot locate one locally. I can get the perforated sheet metal from McMaster Carr.

Jason

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll get one next week for you from our L3 -- oddly enough I'm located in Central Wisconsin!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a factory sieve out of an M that we sold a couple of years ago. I also have enough screen material to extend it to your shoe length, I am making one for our R-62 and have two sheets, the minimum order was still cheaper from my source than McMaster. I would like $150 for both sieve and extra material, may have a guy from New Richmond, WI hauling a load for me that would get things closer. I am in Iowa City. 319-631-3758

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures would be all I need. I think shipping one of these is going to cost more than the sieve itself.

Jason

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I would have thought there would be some vertical strips of metal running the length splitting it into 3 sections to keep the beans from rolling to one side on a side hill.

Jason

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know what you mean -- but it is just a flat sheet with wood strips around all the top edges but the back. We only have a 15 ft head on an L3 so nothing is really overloaded. It is not a miracle worker either -- unthreashed pods can and will go thru it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are having a problem with unthreshed pods last year but we had a drought in our area and couldn't keep the combine full. I think that replacing the top chaffer from a long finger type to a short finger will help with the pod issue. Good to know that the bean sieve still had issues with unthreshed pods.

Jason

·
Registered
373 Posts
We had a bean screen in our M3 and it cleaned out all the pods. It looked clean enough to plant. Since we haul direct to the bean plant now they don't discount for pods, so we didn't get a bean screen with our new machine. There are different size holes in bean screens so some may allow pods to go through.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with both of you -- last year was good for us and the beans were mature. Other years they were small meaning less air and small pods making their way thru the sieve. We do use a square cut long finger chaffer which works excellent for corn. Beans can be very hit or miss in the upper part of Wisconsin but I have seen really dirty beans at the local coop so I rarely feel bad about what I'm bringing in. Operators with newer machines in this area tend to do worse jobs too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts