The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my step dad sell a 2388. Have a guy that is interested from where I posted it on a classified ad. He wants to buy it sight unseen through a pay pal account, "which I know nothing about" and says he will send someone for pick up.
The guys spelling is absolutely horrible which makes me think it is some kind of foreign scam. His last e-mail said he was on a oil rig at the moment but to send my pay pal email account and he would send the payment then someone to pick up.
My question is what kind of angle could this guy have to scam with? Doesn't pay pall offer some security for this type of thing hence kind of weird he would suggest it? How should I handle this as running off a potential buyer is not on todays things to do list.
Thanks, Bo

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So do you actually have a pay pal account? If not, I'd explain that you don't and you aren't familiar with it. Is there another way he could provide funds (cashier's check, wire transfer, etc.)?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't do it. If he can't spell, he probably doesn't have the $80k or whatever you are asking for it. Sounds like a scam.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Paypal's fee is going to be large on a transaction of that size. Potentially he is using an account that is stolen/overdrawn or a stolen credit card with an absurdly high credit limit.

Nobody is in that big of a hurry to buy a combine this time of year. Personally, I'd only accept a bank cashier's check, and take it to your bank prior to releasing the combine. Your bank can call the bank it was drawn on to confirm authenticity. He can overnight the check to you if he is in a big hurry, although that might be difficult from an oil rig.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
While I understand your desire to not scare off a potential sale, I don't see
the point of the urgency of a paypal transaction.
If this was a legit buyer it seems to me communications would be taking a different route than they appear to be.
I'd wait for something more concrete from this guy.

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, yea his only cover is that he is on a rig "why he couldn't mail something" but I don"t have a pay pall account anyway and thus don't know anything about it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Which is more important?

- not losing a "potential" sale

or

- not falling victim to a high-dollar scam?

I'd just tell him that you're not comfortable using Paypal for a transaction of this size, and that you'd be happy to accept cashier's check. If this won't work out for him, no harm, no foul.

I suspect a scam - do you know anyone with any common sense who would spend 80k on a combine, sight unseen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you havent talked to him on the phone I wouldnt do anything have him call you get his number call him back get a land line number to call , generally if their spelling is bad then it is a scam most likely, look at the email address and see if it looks kinda normal , on a big item like that if they are serious I would wait till I had some cash in my hand, someone would have to pay the paypal cost also if it was true and that would be fairly expensive besides, I have used paypal to pay for small stuff but I dont trust anything big. If someone showed up with cash I would make sure it is real money also if , too many people stealing stuff anymore. Cover your a** a 100 ways.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
re affirming my suspicions guys I think this guys gonna need to calm down and act right I can't imagine why he would be in such a hurry either.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Him being in such a hurry to buy a sight unseen combine this time of year and apparently unable or unwilling to get a cashier's check and give the phone number of his banker...nothing here sounds very stable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My step dad doesn't want to give up on ol dude yet. I asked of we could use a traditional cashier's check instead we will see how he replies. Only motive we can pretend to make up for the guy is he is on a oil rig for a few more weeks yet and wants a combine ready to harvest wheat when he gets home?
For sure there has got to be a way he could get it done in a non suspicious way even if he is in a hurry for no apparent reason. Well thanks guys my step dad wants to call his banker and see what they think about protecting him if this guy is up to no good.
Also if things do start looking better how would we handle a bill of sale with him not picking up the combine?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If someone really wants to help they could step up and buy the combine and we wouldn't have to worry with this guy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are a couple good options here. If you're small town and know your police, have the cop over for lunch the day the buyer is coming to pick up the machine. I'm thinking it won't be one guy on a bicycle driving your combine out of the yard, it's going to be someone with a semi or a couple folks.

If nothing else, would be interesting to get the cop chatting with the buyer's guy, or if they keep on going when they see the cop car in the yard.

Let's see some ID and check for warrants or background problems.

Option 2: Forget the cops, just let them pay the money with paypal and then when the buyer shows up, hand off your 1/32 scale model machine. Maybe the guy he sends won't know that he should be getting a larger item.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I give it 999 to 1 this is a scam, move on from the deal. He's just spinning you around looking for an opening or for info he can use to get money from you..........you know you're at the end of the scam when he wants you to line up the truck and pay to have the combine hauled away. Does the guy have a phone number or an email acct? Type it into Google and see what comes up. Put yourself on the other end of the deal........would you buy a combine sight unseen?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after researching his email address found other people saying he was pulling scams trying to buy peoples i phones and such, guess we will keep waiting for the real deal buyer to come along

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
You can't even trust cashier's checks guys, they can be forgeries. Especially if the guy he sends to pick up the combine brings it. He hands you a fraudulent check, takes off with you combine, and you're left with no combine and a bad check. Even better, he'll tell you the guy getting the combine or some other associate owes him money, and he'll add that money he owes to the check, plus 10% for you or whatever, and you have to wire the difference to this guy. You wire the money, the wire transfer clears before the check, so you're on the hook for whatever you wired too!

Sounds like you're making the right call. Sucks to have to watch yourself so bad. Good luck selling the combine, wish I could help you out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, cashiers checks can be a scam. Recently had that problem trying to sell a 40' gooseneck. The guy sent a check that was about $3'000 over and told us to send him the extra. The guy was from Kentucky, the check from New York, and then told us to send him the money to Alabama. Just be carefull. The guy does sound like a scammer. Any one looking to rush into a sell you have to be carefull about. Always cash any type of check before someone walks off with your eqquipment.
sounds like you made a good choice.
I also like the 2nd idea from above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts