The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not had anything new for moisture in last thirty days, and crops have ran out of sub moisture.... The part of farming I dislike the most... Even take a hail storm with rain mixed at this point

How are others doing for moisture, maybe we can wake up mother nature

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
We've had abit more than that but my early wheat is bolting, could see a few heads sticking out today while spraying and can see where every rock is under the surface. The weeds are not slowing down though

·
Registered
572 Posts
In the Leduc area its quite variable. In My area we are ok for moisture for a week or so yet but in some parts of the county they need rain very soon. crops have lots of mass except for wheat crops. some look great while most look spindly and stunted. hard to say what it will yield but best guess would be about average for wheat to below average at least in my area. Canola looks above average as long as we get timely rains. Fabba beans and peas doing well also

·
Registered
477 Posts
We ve had rain and it doesn't stop - every three four days like clockwork - if it only came in moderation , but 3 inches, than 5 inches, than a half to and inch in every boomer- makes for some real train wrecks -

I ve got winter wheat- real nice, soys are doing ok but 2 weeks behind, need heat, spring wheat is hanging on but took a beating, every hole is gone, and canola is crop insurance unless a miracle happens, it's a foot tall, 3 leaves, dunno, seen a few write off canola crops last year impress me- but that was a exceptional summer- hard time making 25 degrees- we need that and till the end of September minimum-

Seeded some feed barley on the 4th of July- maybe that's when I shoulda started the whole farm - this weather is nuts

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
We have gone from one extreme to another. We were very wet May and June. The past two weeks we have had sunny windy days pretty well every day. The wind never seems to stop. If the wind keeps up it makes a person wonder if we are going to go from a flood to a drought in one season.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
We've been dry right from the start, in totally we've got 2.5in of rain so far and it's getting to the point where it won't matter if we get rain or not I guess the canola it could make a difference but the wheat is all headed out already

·
Registered
152 Posts
We are getting pretty dry here as well, some sporadic thunderstorms last week were in the area but the coverage was pretty small. We have not had any measurable amount of rain in about 3-4 weeks, things are at the end of looking good now and need moisture. We have lost the chance of having another bumper crop and I'm just hoping for average now. we NEED rain this week.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
same boat, bottom growth of stubble crops burned up and summer fallow will start to take it anyday. Sadly some of our land has had a grand total of under 3 inches of total rain fall.

The joys of dry land farming

·
Registered
483 Posts
Saw this mystical thing called dust when driving down the road the other day. Must have been a magical fairy sprinkling pixie dust behind me. Could do without rain till third week in october. More than enough subsoil moisture to finish the crop.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Got irrigation going full tilt, will begin shutting down pivots next week. We watched the rain pass just to the south of us all spring but did get a few inches, no complaints so far.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Outside if the Palouse eastern Washington State is a loss. No snow cover when we got froze to -40 F with 40mph winds last winter. Then severe drought. Most guys aren't even bothering to get out the combines around here. It could rain 3 inches next week and it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Waves, I guess you were some of the area that froze out, that sucks. We are going to start harvest next week and the early stuff isn't very good, but the later stuff doesn't look to bad. Seeding might be interesting if no more rain comes and it stays 100 degrees for the next month. 30 days without rainfall around here is par for the course, wouldn't be surprised if we get no measurable rain until the snow flies (hopefully) this fall.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Things were looking really bad in the eastern Palouse along the Idaho Washington border till 26th of June when we got at least 1/2 inch or rain that save the legumes. Made a trip to church the next day to give thanks. Things were looking really bad. Still a little nervous with garbs blooming and peas still have to fill properly. Don't know where it came from as it's been hotter than any early summers in recent decades. I was afraid it was going to be like 1955 when I was a small kid. Dad didn't even finish the peas after he got his seed back. Stopped growing them for 10 years. Most of our moisture seemed to be going over us into Canada and down into Manitoba and Minnesota I guess. Didn't realize you guys up north were that dry. We've go winter wheat and that handles the drought better, but also had winter kill which isn't usually a big problem here. Looking at some really hot weather for the next few days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.