The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There needs to be a new company category - TRIBINE added to the Harvesting Forum section. The new Tribine Harvesting LLC combine being built in Newton, Kansas will be at the Farm Progress Show August 30 - Sept 1 2016 in Boone, Iowa. Also at the Husker Harvest Days show in Grand Island, NE Sept 13 - 15. It has many unique features including twin engines, OHAI system, 1000 bu. graintank, articulated frame, compound steering, joystick steering, improved header visibilty via expanded glass floor area..
http://tribine.com/

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tribine at FPS and HHD

They are going to put them into production?
Yes, they are being built in Newton. "Limited availability" for 2017.... expect around 10 units for 2017. It might become a Kubota Tribine. Prototypes are painted Orange and Black, as Kubota colors. Kubota recently bought Kansas based Great Plains / Land Pride product line. This would help Kubota expand their Ag line in North America. Kubota also has several other aggressive projects related to Ag markets. The Versatile Tractors and Combine are not their only option.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Kubota being involved might be interesting. Isn't the base for the Tribine a S series gleaner? Or has that changed? I wonder how Agco would respond?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Saw some youtube vids on those. hope they get some thrashing capacity out of the newer ones. The 8row corn head at 3mph is not very impressive.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
So the chopper just pounds straw/product at the grain tank all day? I can imagine what that will look like after a couple hundred hours not to mention several years. Why so complicated? They could get the same maneuverability if they axed the articulated steering and just make it four wheel steer. Giant hunk of iron for class 7 capacity isn't gonna cut it in todays world.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Maybe we just need a general combine category to post it. I doubt the Tribine will really generate that much discussion on its own, at least enough to warrant its own sub-forum. Even Versatile doesn't really generate much traffic on that sub forum. Tends to mostly be posts about versatile tractors, which is kind off-topic there.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Versatile is putting a new cab on theirs next year I heard and working on a feeder chain to replace those beaters that sometimes limited capacity. They are making very real improvements and might demand some serious attention if they continue at current pace.

The Tribine does not appeal to me in the least. There was a thread some time ago that basically ripped this concept to shreds. I still haven't seen a video of it unloading on the go yet, and this has been SOP for decades!!!

I would take a wait-and-see approach on this one. Maybe it has a fit somewhere that I am not aware of...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, they are being built in Newton. "Limited availability" for 2017.... expect around 10 units for 2017. It might become a Kubota Tribine. Prototypes are painted Orange and Black, as Kubota colors. Kubota recently bought Kansas based Great Plains / Land Pride product line. This would help Kubota expand their Ag line in North America. Kubota also has several other aggressive projects related to Ag markets. The Versatile Tractors and Combine are not their only option.
Anything more happening on Kubota and Versatile? Not sure what other options they could have with a similar complimentary situation. Seems Claas is going a different route with Baywa Ag signing a partnership with them and set to open several dealerships in AB under the name Alberta Ag Center

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Versatile is putting a new cab on theirs next year I heard and working on a feeder chain to replace those beaters that sometimes limited capacity. They are making very real improvements and might demand some serious attention if they continue at current pace.

The Tribine does not appeal to me in the least. There was a thread some time ago that basically ripped this concept to shreds. I still haven't seen a video of it unloading on the go yet, and this has been SOP for decades!!!

I would take a wait-and-see approach on this one. Maybe it has a fit somewhere that I am not aware of...
The Versatile upgrades to new cab and a feederhouse chain will help them. I am still very certain that they will need to change to a Co-Rotation concave to gain the benefits of a bi-rotor configuration. They should also adopt the better concave mounting, similar to expired US patent 5779542 Nylatron Support Bearing for a cage concave. That would get rid of the problematic front roller supports.

The Tribine does have good market potential... there is value in moving the graintank from high in the air...... to the down low position behind the combine... Improves stability, especially with larger headers...
They have relocated the unloading auger forward to the hinge area to improve visibility while unloading... Eventually this unloading process will become autonomous.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Kubota being involved might be interesting. Isn't the base for the Tribine a S series gleaner? Or has that changed? I wonder how Agco would respond?
Apparently this is not the case, though it was for the first prototype.

The production Tribine was engineered to be their own machine from the ground up. Big single axial rotor, completely custom cab, two engines (one on either side of the rotor). Interestingly they have decided to not use a steering wheel, but rather two control stocks.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It's people like this designing stuff that intrigues me. I won't knock the concept of an articulating combine, because until I actually see it in action I can't fault it. The last thing that would happen I would assume would be for it to break in half. You wouldn't go head on investing that kind of money to make a weak point off crack. As far as grain and straw hitting the grain tank I would imagine that doesn't happen. It likely distributes straw on either side. The holding capacity and elimination of the need for a grain cart on large fields has to account for something as well. Every man, and equipment to go with it, lowers the cost of operating a combine in the field which likely more than offsets the 2 engine system. The 2 engine design would have to be robust and bullet proof before many would jump at purchasing one. A 6.7 cummins is bullet proof in trucks so likely not an issue in a combine but time will tell. A set of tracks on this would lower even more compaction. Likely just waiting for the concept to get accepted before that move. It should turn sharp I believe which has advantages over long combines made today. One engine using it's power solely for thrashing is not affected by hills or soft conditions and a full tank. It's capacity would remain consistent regardless the situation. It looks complicated by a picture but doesn't necessarily mean it is. Time will tell and I wish them good luck in thinking outside the box. Cost of operating per acre with one less set of equipment could account for a lot. 2 trucks with one operator alternating in the field with one combine is justifiable. It's not always acres/hr that matters. Your cost/acre is important.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
20 years ago i was thinking an articulated frame design would be the future as this would move the clean grain tank to the rear. My thinking was a lot of compromises were being made with layout of engine, cooling and locations of clean grain drives and many other drives in relation to other components in order to accommodate the tank mid frame. I always thought of ways to make things easier to access and work on.

The only draw back i see to the articulated design is evenly spreading residue, the rest of the mechanics seem easily solved and the new found space on the front section could perhaps be used to house a second cleaning fan or something such to aid seperation. I dont think a 1000 bu is necessary, perhaps 500 and use the extra space on the back for a low slung powertrain engine and fuel tank.

While i dont like the way the Tribine was executed, i will be curious to see if the articulated design gets adapted in the future as a means to make more room available to implement new ideas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts