The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on here a few weeks ago inquiring on red machines well now it's got serious got a 1999 R72 that caught fire in field sat don't know what insurance will give but wondering what my options could be. I'm not partial to any brand just wherever I can get best deal. I'd like another class 7. Just need a rundown on which series' are lemons and which ones can carry the mail. Im prepared to spend between 100-150k

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Was on here a few weeks ago inquiring on red machines well now it's got serious got a 1999 R72 that caught fire in field sat don't know what insurance will give but wondering what my options could be. I'm not partial to any brand just wherever I can get best deal. I'd like another class 7. Just need a rundown on which series' are lemons and which ones can carry the mail. Im prepared to spend between 100-150k
I am sticking to my guns, stay Gleaner...

If ya really think ya need a red combine buy a heritage machine, your price range will land ya a 2588 or 7088

I am a bit interested in your 72 if it ain't a million miles away and completely destroyed

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
You think you've found your modded "rock beater" prototype unit huh?

:6:
Just maybe!

Maybe a modded engine?

Maybe 450 ponies?

I want to mod a Gleaner to the hilt and I want to start with a heap of crap!

I got to find a way to beat some buddies of mine, hopefully a Red guy can do it

I know harvest isn't Nascar but I like to treat it that way...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sticking to my guns, stay Gleaner...

If ya really think ya need a red combine buy a heritage machine, your price range will land ya a 2588 or 7088

I am a bit interested in your 72 if it ain't a million miles away and completely destroyed
The fire was in the engine room electronics ECM engine prolly needs seals and rear feeder shaft needs replacing. Of course you know belts housings stuff like that all gone. Fire destroyed engine room. I live on north Alabama

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The fire was in the engine room electronics ECM engine prolly needs seals and rear feeder shaft needs replacing. Of course you know belts housings stuff like that all gone. Fire destroyed engine room. I live on north Alabama
Alabama a is a loonnggg ways from me as I would haul it back myself, if ya said it was within a thousand miles I would have a lot more interest for sure

What does the insurance want if you were to keep it? It would likely be worth buying another combine like it then you would have a good collection of good parts

I think it would prove very valuable

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Alabama a is a loonnggg ways from me as I would haul it back myself, if ya said it was within a thousand miles I would have a lot more interest for sure

What does the insurance want if you were to keep it? It would likely be worth buying another combine like it then you would have a good collection of good parts

Ah come on... its just on the other side of Missouri... get in the truck and go!

Take the wife, tell her its a second honeymoon.:30:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Adjuster hasn't came out yet it happened Saturday. It just depends what they give me for it what I got to work with, they gonna take their time cause I just had 50 acres left some buddies gonna finish it for me when this flood passes. I'm not partial to any color just anything I can get cheap and that can get job done. I tell ya she cut like a dream last week she run though

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Suggest updating to a 76.. Your not going to be happy with the field losses of a red machine... Compared to a gleaner.. It can be set up, but conditions change.. Your changing settings, not like the conventional style intake of the gleaner..
Gold time to take the money, and do the mods.. And you know the gleaner.. And heads!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Field losses on a red machine? A bird would starve behind my 7230 in corn or beans. You want to know who has the most loss, ask a seed rep. They go everywhere and see everything. All tell me there is more grain on the ground behind a green machine. A properly tuned and maintained red machine will do an excellent job.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Just need a rundown on which series' are lemons and which ones can carry the mail. Im prepared to spend between 100-150k
I had a couple of pairs of 7120's that were very good combines, wish I had kept them. One pair still running very well for a buddy of mine nearby.:smile: The 7010's were sleeper machines, very close in power to the 8010's. Either of those two models I would recommend over a 30 series machine, provided you can find one in good condition. Quality control on 30 series was sliding hard FWIW.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Field losses on a red machine? A bird would starve behind my 7230 in corn or beans. You want to know who has the most loss, ask a seed rep. They go everywhere and see everything. All tell me there is more grain on the ground behind a green machine. A properly tuned and maintained red machine will do an excellent job.
My would type changes three times across a 20.. And verity vhanges will change test weight and moisture..
8 row will not adequately fill a 7230, and when you have 150 bushel corn, that's not enough either..

If your going to run the case ih flagship machine you need 12 rows and lots of corn... A 7230 will perform perfectly in 12 row, 200 bushel corn that is constant from once side to another... Run some variables and not 200 bushel corn with 12 rows, and you will hate every second till you completely stop looking at losses,,..

Or you don't look at losses now, because a case ih corn head will loose 1-3 bushels itself.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
My would type changes three times across a 20.. And verity vhanges will change test weight and moisture..
8 row will not adequately fill a 7230, and when you have 150 bushel corn, that's not enough either..

If your going to run the case ih flagship machine you need 12 rows and lots of corn... A 7230 will perform perfectly in 12 row, 200 bushel corn that is constant from once side to another... Run some variables and not 200 bushel corn with 12 rows, and you will hate every second till you completely stop looking at losses,,..

Or you don't look at losses now, because a case ih corn head will loose 1-3 bushels itself.
I think you are putting a flagship on a pedistal.....

I could go on all day, my father in law has 2 8120's and I would not want anything bigger than an 8 row chopper on one, no way

Losses can be managed but like in his case he is running Geringhoff heads and losses are out of this world in them heads, looks like what goes on when you make pop corn.....

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The 30 series does have better engines.. So power is no longer an issue...

Put a 12 row on the 8120 and you will be much happier,, it fills the machine..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had a couple of pairs of 7120's that were very good combines, wish I had kept them. One pair still running very well for a buddy of mine nearby.:smile: The 7010's were sleeper machines, very close in power to the 8010's. Either of those two models I would recommend over a 30 series machine, provided you can find one in good condition. Quality control on 30 series was sliding hard FWIW.
And if you have hills the 7010/7120's sieves adjust up to 14% as compared to the 8010/8120/9120 which are only 10% !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts