The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finishing wheat harvest, in hindsight I feel like I need more "action" within the rotors for separation.

Cutting low, 40' of wheat with draper. Often the stems had some green or slight moisture in the late evenings. I ran HHS small grain keystock, opened half the time. Round bar main concave. Intensive Threshing Segment installed the first few days. (found out when removed it was plugged with mud, likely not doing much good except taking hp...blaming the mud on my wife running the header in the ground on a terrace)

We periodically windrowed the straw to bale in large round bales. Upon inspection, the straw was seldom broke, but kinked. To my surprise, I never found a kernel left in the head, or stem. Unfortunately, I was loosing some loose wheat out the rotors. It wasn't excessive by any means. Also I noticed very minimal straw coming out of the chaffer. It was essentially all wheat husks. This makes me think I need some more action within the rotor cages to mix up the material.

Comparing the rotors/grates to what I learned from 2388's, the 2388 separation area is much smaller, with a more aggressive grate. It has keystock, or even aftermarket disrupter lugs, etc... to rip apart the mat of material and get it to tumble more. The disrupters are even effective at ripping apart corn husks with trapped kernels hiding in the bottom. Although the Lexion has a very large separation area, I feel combined with the smoother roundbar concave, the rotors simply don't tumble the 20"+ straw stems.

Has anyone done something that created more disturbance in the rotor cages similar to a disrupter or keystock. The stock wavey wires are pretty smooth compared to keystock grates that some rotors use for separation.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Seedcleaner you should cut out the tin on the bottom back of the rotor, extend the grain pan, and add another set of grates at the back. Did you try speed up the rotor? It seemed like last year increasing the speed helped. However in wheat we were often maxed out and I wish there was a way to increase the speed of the rotors over the factory maximum.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seedcleaner you should cut out the tin on the bottom back of the rotor, extend the grain pan, and add another set of grates at the back. Did you try speed up the rotor? It seemed like last year increasing the speed helped. However in wheat we were often maxed out and I wish there was a way to increase the speed of the rotors over the factory maximum.

I am glad you brought speed up. I cannot go over 950, ever since new iirc. How do I adjust this?

Some say slower speeds allow more time for the grain to fall through....? I still think I need more shredding of the stems for the conditions mentioned.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The European models rotor speed goes much higher. That combined with more rotor grates gives their models a definite advantage over ours in wheat. I'm not sure why they can't offer that here with additional rotor covers for other crops. It would seem quite easy and give them even more advantage over other brands.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree speed and area would help and be easy enough to achieve in this setup. Having said that, there is plenty of area to do the job compared to other designs. The differences I see that others have are

larger diameter rotors=faster "tip" speed
more "keystock" in the separation area

I think some keystock or "disrupter" type of material would help

get loose but trapped corn out of husks
break up long stems such as green straw

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
The European models rotor speed goes much higher. That combined with more rotor grates gives their models a definite advantage over ours in wheat. I'm not sure why they can't offer that here with additional rotor covers for other crops. It would seem quite easy and give them even more advantage over other brands.
Exactly!:)
To get specific, a North American unit has 10 concave sections and max 1000 rotor speed, European units 11 sections and 1200.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
I am in the process of changing that pulley because it was chewed up by my broken countershaft. That pulley is not cheap. Some dealers are quoting around $1900. I wish I could find a bigger size pulley if that is the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.