The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 18.0L engine expands lineup to meet market needs
Building on the 13.6L engine design, John Deere has introduced a new 18.0L engine, which offers maximum power over 650 kW (870 hp). It was also designed with flexibility, serviceability and durability in mind.
This performance engine is equipped with John Deere engine controls, a high-pressure common-rail fuel system and series turbochargers and utilizes cooled EGR. The model-based controls enable advanced prognostics capabilities and improved transient response. A rear gear train reduces noise as well as torsional and crank stress. The top 20 service and repairs for larger John Deere engines were also taken into consideration when designing the engine to ensure ease of serviceability.
“We utilised a streamlined engine design process to expand our power range. Advanced modeling allowed us to define and optimise engine subsystems to achieve our performance requirements and to deliver on our customers’ growing horsepower needs,” said Hoffman.
The new 18.0L engine will be manufactured at the John Deere Engine Works plant in Waterloo, Iowa. Production of the 18.0L is planned to begin in 2022.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
It is nice to some more large engine options. It will be interesting to see what equipment they put it in. It will also put pressure on Case to come out with a bigger engine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't know why they would have an EGR cooler system. I always thought above 750 hp you didn't have to be Tier 4 you could be Tier 2. Between the EGR, water pump, and their fans I'll probably stick with my gutless Iveco.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The top 20 service and repairs for larger John Deere engines were also taken into consideration when designing the engine to ensure ease of serviceability.
I'm not a mechanic but a rear gear train is not as easily serviced I would think.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Any time with the big trucks when they put the air compressor on the rear the repair time goes way up for some reason.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Th
I don't know why they would have an EGR cooler system. I always thought above 750 hp you didn't have to be Tier 4 you could be Tier 2. Between the EGR, water pump, and their fans I'll probably stick with my gutless Iveco.
The iveco doesn’t have an EGR does it? Always considered that one of ivecos strengths.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Lots of big displacement engines built to last. 855,903, were big in their day and ran for so many trouble free hrs. 12.7 detroit was another great engine IMO. Cat C15. Far from 18 L The 903 was 15.5L i believe. The reason they ran for so many hrs was they all didn't exceed 400 hp much. The stress put on that engine every revolution was built to withstand many hrs. Now to introduce an 18L sounds impressive but I would think at 875 hp the stress added to the displacement of the engine may not make it a trouble free runner long term. Bottom end torque should be unreal though with that displacement. 400hp/15.5L= for every 38.75 ml of displacement yields 1 hp. 18L/875 hp= 20.57ml of displacement per hp. This is not a true science because dependability is more than what I have pointed out here. Journal size and lubrication and engine design play a huge role in any engines longevity but the hp you are trying to generate with small displacement does shorten it's life. Drag cars live short lives. Formula 1 car engines are made to live as long as the race. From the numbers i got my guess would be close to 1/2 the hrs of an old 855 for life expectancy which is still quite a few hrs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts