The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a very clean 1999 2388 for this years harvest. I am wanting some advice on helpful updates and useful aftermarket products. I am reading a lot about cover plates for my concaves. Primarily I will be cutting winter wheat (bearded and beardless) in the summer and milo in the fall. Thought it might be helpful to at least buy concave covers for the front concave for wheat. Mentor of mine said he generally tried to stay away from too much aftermarket fiddling. Any suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Aftermarket fiddling can be good. I just added a Kile rotor flight to my 2188, we will see how it does in wheat this June but i haven't heard a single bad thing from anyone on them. I use small wire concaves for wheat and milo, seems to give the best sample and still lets all the grain get out of the rotor. Do you have a specialty or a standard rotor? if you have the specialty I have also heard good things about the gordon bars. Or if you want to go all out then there is the Precision Farm Parts rotor mod, sometimes called the PFP rotor. A nice little mod that is realitively inexpensive is a grain drain, it is a pair of plastic pieces that keeps grain from getting stuck around the unloader sump. Give me a call sometime at 785 798 5293 and we can talk combine parts. My dad used to say the aftermarket stuff didn't work until my brother and I started proving that it does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the aftermarket automatic chain tightener on the tailing return drive. No need to tighten chain daily with it!
I also like the bigger paddles (CaseIH parts) on the straw spreader and speeding up the spinners- for my conditions anyways.
In harder to thresh wheat, we used interuptor bars on the concaves also. (CaseIH part)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Case Ih has a guide roller that goes in the feeder house. I think its called a "Black Ace." It prolongs feeder chain life as well as quiets the feeder rumble. Everything seems to feed nicer as well. Love it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If not done so already I would install the front bearing kits on the blocks of the distribution augers underneath the rotor. They bolt to the wooden blocks and have a bearing inside them which the auger rides in to save your augers and $ in blocks for several years.
Also beef up the rear axle if not done so already. I weld thick diamond plate around the center hole then I weld some thick strap across the top and bottom. We are on the road alot and in many different terrains and also sprinkler tracks or row ridges which are all pretty hard on that axle. I have lost count of how many axles we have lost on these combines, but it sure does make harvest more interesting.

Good Luck and God Bless,
Harvester88

·
Registered
913 Posts
We been running the gordon bars in our 2388, even had them in our 1680 before that. We seem to really like the job they do. And yes I do recommend the cover plates as well, try it without but we find ourselves usually running them before the year is over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts