The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently looking at upgrading our air seeder. We use a concord with a Morris cart. The problem is we dont know what we want. We use large 6-8 shovels to get weeds and eliminate a sprayer pass and its something thats important to us. After looking at a lot of seeders out there its probably going to come down to a Morris or borgault:

Morris- We have the morris tank and it works great. I also like the upgrades they made on the new 9 series. We really like the air sytem on the morris as well becasue its all horizontal, there are no 90 degree towers/ less seed damage. However i dont know much about the razr or contour or maxim. 1 idea we had was put a 3 inch shovel on the countour to get some extra tillage. Are morris equipment quality? how do the razr and contour work in tilled ground?

Bourgault- lots of people in our area have the disc system and they like it. it looks like quality but a couple things bug me. I dont like the towers for seed distribution, they are heavy, and very expensive compared to other brands. Are they worth the extra money? what is their disk and hoe systems like compared to morris?

any thoughts are appreciated. We have an open mind and would appreciate any imput about other brands as well. Independent isnt a must, but im big on seed placement.

thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm running a Morris c2 and like the drill but I don't think you can put a 3" shovel on it, I have the 4" paried row. With that setup you would have to spray ahead. Seems like the Morris is simple compared to the Bourgualt

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you want to till and seed get a seedovator. Disc drills don't like tilled ground.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks.

I was quickly looking at openers for a C2 and it seems you can get around a 2.5" which might be good enough. I do understand that you wont be able to get "conventional tilage" out of a hoe type drill but if we went with a hoe we'd like to set it up to blacken as much as possible. Have you had any problems with wear on your c2? we keep out seeder for 8-10+ years if they work well. what kind of openers do you have?

We currently run NH3 but might switch to granular N. Midrow banders would be the solution id suppose.

Why arent discs good in tilled soil? in our area its all conventional fall tillage and guys have had good results with their independent discs. I would think its easy for a disc or hoe to move through the ground on tilled compared to zerotill.

I thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do NOT run a Morris Contour drill in tilled ground. Way further ahead with a slab frame drill. We have one and they are not designed for tilled soil. They need a firm seed bed to operate correct.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so no independent drill is good on tilled ground? In our area the case dealer is selling 3720s like crazy and other farmers are using other types of independent drills like JD's with good results on tilled ground. Somethings not right. the ground is still firm from over winter.

Does anyone know much about the morris maxim or Bourgault 5810?

what specifically causes the C2 to have terrible results on tilled ground? would a bourgault hoe drill be any different?

·
Registered
262 Posts
My drill was new last year so I haven't seen any wear yet, and I have the Morris 4" paired row openers with the NH3 high pressure system on it. You see very little vapor at the openers and no smell in the cab like I had with the midrow banders I had in the past. I think the problem in tilled ground is soil throw so speed needs to be reduced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think they mean don't use an independent hoe drill in tilled ground because you'll have to slow down too much. Independent disc drills like the Morris Razr or the BG 3720 would be fine in tilled ground. JD 1890 is used in tilled ground in lots of places too.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
We are thinking about a 3320 in the near future, anybody out there run one on ground anhydroused in the fall? Ground hard enough for good results? Or complete disaster?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sometimes the ground isn't firm enough to turn discs. Maybe if it was tilled in the fall but no in the spring it might work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We seed into tilled ground at 3.8 mph with our contour with sideband openers. At 4.2 mph it throws so much soil that it covers the other two rows right over. 10" spacing makes it worse but it's a hard ground seeding machine that's why they cost more. Is your seeding into tilled ground save some money and get a maxim or flexicoil style drill at a sale they are going pretty cheap these days. We harrow and then seed and for that the Independant opener drills work great. We also have a conservapac. Some days I like it better, some days I like the Contour better. The contour is easier to get set up and really conserves soil moisture. You set the seed depth and adjust the packer pressure and that's it. The conservapac takes a few thousand acres of effing with it before I'm really happy with it. Too many adjustments. But I like the deep banding of the fert and vertical separation of seed and fert better than the contours horizontal separation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

I like the morris C2, it looks clean, easy to work on and simple to set. I was reading in another thread that if using it on tilled ground it best to use the large 5'' packers for floatation.

With our current setup be do approx 20 ac/hr and we need to increase that. By the sounds of it if you can only go 4-4.5 we aint gaining anything. If you went with a smaller opener can you go faster like 5.5?

Almost all the guys in our area who use independent have the disks and taking into what you guys are saying maybe thats the better way to go. We are in a high moisture area as well. I guess the next question is razr vs 3720? anybody run the new 9 series morris carts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts