The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What augers and movers have people had the most success with?

I am looking for a 10" x 40-45 ft auger with a mover.
Preferably a good mover that can handle a bit of snow or a slight incline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
purchased a 8x46 wheatheart auger with mover this fall. absolutely love this thing, I could drive it around all day! :D we found out that the auger will go thru more snow than the truck and trailer. whoever assembled it though put the wrong oil in it for cold weather, once we changed over to ATF no problems. now maybe if the trains would show up we could use it:mad:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had a 8x45ft sakundiak with a hawes mover for 2 years and really like it. Mover will go through a bit of snow eventually wheels just spin if it gets to deep. Will handle an incline too. Mine has a 25hp Kohler engine.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I've had a 8x45ft sakundiak with a hawes mover for 2 years and really like it. Mover will go through a bit of snow eventually wheels just spin if it gets to deep. Will handle an incline too. Mine has a 25hp Kohler engine.
x2 have thought about putting better grip tires on it, but not really that big a deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
purchased a 8x46 wheatheart auger with mover this fall. absolutely love this thing, I could drive it around all day! :D we found out that the auger will go thru more snow than the truck and trailer. :
Good to know, does Wheatheart make their own mover??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard the Hawes is a good mover....have to get a quote.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
we brought our secound wheat heart last year just before seeding as said they go through lots of snow issue
for oil i run 32 weight oil with cold flo added works awesome in winter

the only thing i dont like is on the newer mover they put the front casters in narrower to help with hoppers its harder to steer around the yard than the wider set wheels but is thats my only issue with it would buy anther over n over again augers fast for a 8 buy 51 can fill our tri in under 30 min

we have the van gard engine i think its a 35 hp that thing starts awesome even when i had to haul when wind chill was minus 52 very impressed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good to know, does Wheatheart make their own mover??
yes they make their own mover, I guess one drawback is we have some of these goofy fiberglass hoppers inside bins and with the wheatheart system we cant reach the centre on a 19ft bin. the mover is still a good idea, the hoppers are not.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
mark 1056: what's cold flo? does it help reduce viscosity in hyd oil?

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
We have a old wheatheart mover and a hawes mover. I personally like the older wheatheart mover better. It pulls from the axle of the auger rather than the auger tube on the hawes. The Hawes wheels in snow like to flip over pinning your hands on the ground before you can let go. With the Hawes bolting on the auger tube you can bend the auger tube in deep snow or when it is in the bin which is very difficult to fix. I'm not sure what the new Wheatheart looks like.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
mark 1056: what's cold flo? does it help reduce viscosity in hyd oil?
yes i think so lol we use it in most oils

we put in 15 40 year round with certain percentage of clod pour i think is its name is it turns it into the same as zero 40 at alot cheeper price a 20 liter pail is 90 bucks and will treat like 100 liters depend on what oil you are using it works in all oils and dose not effect warantie

you can get it here great guys talk to jamie he will fill you in on it or mike hes kinda grumpy but knows his stuff Welcome

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I dont think one wheel drive auger tire has enough traction to bend the tube if thats what you mean by "pulls from the tube" when trying to turn in snow. Never been an issue anyway with 10-1200 sakundiak with hawes.

However I have put tubes in both little mover tires since they do take some sideways pressure.

The 35 Vanguard works well but likes to be chocked for quite a while at start up. Fertilizer or wheat will lug it a bit. Ideally would have 40 hp but not bad.

Also have pto in same size auger and its quite a bit faster. Could go with smaller upper pulley on my engine one to increase capacity but would need bigger motor.

Overall an auger with mover is the last thing we would let go.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Skgrain we have bent our 10 inch in deep snow pushing it towards the bin. It was not fun to fix. Once you kink the tub the tube has no strength.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Oliver 88, If you don't need to tow the auger anywhere once you own one, or would rarely tow it, install a set of tire chains and they don't have to be fancy or too heavy duty ether. Tire chains make all the difference, trying to drive itself out of some accumulated snow so its parking spot can be plowed to the less then perfect plowed ground and then also glare ice becomes no issue at all. If its going to be towed a distance, then the chains will have to come off to go any speed and also it would rattle and vibrate the auger way too much I would think even at a slower speed. I keep our chains on all year around on our 8x46 Sakundiak so if I have to move it onto some soft ground where the truck doesn't go, it has all the traction it needs.

Not that it was mentioned but if you intend on using it a certain amount at night its very very nice to have lights mounted on it with weather proof switches and hooked into the key switch system, one shining down to the bottom and mounted up around the gear box area, and the other up near the top on the underside to shine down on the loading product ( angled or shielded so it doesn't shine back at you when your standing on the ground towards the bottom end ).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bought new 8x41 wheatheart 30hp kohler last spring. First engine went before it seen a kernel, second engine went on the 2nd super b load. Was without auger for 2 months while Viterra blamed supplier in Winnipeg, they blamed someone in Saskatoon, they blamed factory in USA(china), while they blamed Viterra. It went full circle.
Local small engine guy ended up fixing it, been working now. Hard starting in the cold.
-Needs a reversing gearbox because takes 2 guys and a pry bar to move lever to loosen belts as it binds under the engine.
-we changed muffler cause they have exhaust shooting right at hoses for hydraulics. Viterra just moves battery ahead to avoid that but then pulling it down road battery is bouncing bad.
-Roll pin on top pulley will break.

Seem to have kinks out now but for the extra couple thousand Sakundiak will be my next auger.
I do like the mover and the drag on the wheatheart tho.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Forgot to mention a very important part which is the hopper. I have an older one called "the hopper" which is steel with rubber top. There are many newer ones now likely even better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts