The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggested this to some upity ups last fall when no one knew to update their receivers (at least I didn't!) maybe they can fix these sticky problems now FT

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I need to build something like this. Would you care to describe how the system should work in a perfect world? Thanks.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
well if i tell the system that the planter tubes are lets say 239 inches behind me...

and then shouldn't it come on when i go 239 inches
?

I agree with you farmer tony...nothing like finding out a coupld days before you go to the field....

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
I need to build something like this. Would you care to describe how the system should work in a perfect world? Thanks.
-Lance
Are we talking about making the outside boundary line of a new field?

Don

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to add section control to my autosteer program for next season, and I've been thinking about how to set up the interior and exterior boundaries. I figured if someone is unhappy with how one manufacturer did this, I should find a smoother way to do it.

Based on casefarmer's response, it sounds like his issue was more with the thing actually functioning, rather than the user interface to control it.

-Lance

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
My experience with Deere is up to this spring if you forgot to pause it and happen to many a turn in the field that was not part of the boundary it would call it an invalid boundary. Pita.
Enter 08 software update. Just leave it on doesn't matter where you go it only considers the outside edge as a boundary. When it asks you to accept boundary, it just eliminates all the scenic routes.
I'm still not sure were talking the same thing, as mine is a mapping concern and your talking auto steer, maybe casefarmer is talking auto shut-off/on?

Don

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
No not autosteer....just the planter turning on/off the sections like it should.

come to find out many guys are haveing this issue like mine so it really does sound like a software upgrades in the works to fix it..

I do like how i go to a field and click on field then auto select and it pulls up the field for me..

thats pretty nice!!!!!

Actually i love everything about the monitor.

Just seems like the boundry feature needed some more work before released to public....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Here's another reason why i like getting case stuff... i got this email back yesterday after farmer tony's posting on here.

I really did go to the website and complain....

Also i should state i put a gps antenna on the cab and measure back to the seed tubes....

I read the directions but they were faxed to me and kinda hard to understand for when a guys in a lil bit of a hurry like everyone else this year... so i'll mess with it some more and see if i can get it to work.

We didn't dig for corn we just saw when the chains turned on and off and it looked right.... apparently thats not all there is to makeing this work.

Depending on the tractor you are using, in Toolbox in the Pro 600 under GPS there is a forward offset. If that has a value it should equal the distance from the center of the back axel to the center of the GPS receiver. If that is the case then you would only need to measure from the center of the back axel to the seed tube. Otherwise you did it correctly.

The lead/lag in works like this, the higher the value the quicker the planter will shut off and the longer it will take to turn on. Throughout the season we found that the following settings worked the best. Lead/lag time less that 1 second or around .7. Percent overlap no more than 98%. And in work condition the product delay about .5 sec. The product delay is the time it takes the seed to reach the ground after is passes the seed sensor. It helps make the map more precise which is what the overlap control works off of.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Yes that is.
And Deere had that on the original "brown box" display. Field locator they called it, when you entered inside a previously generated boundary it would ask " is this "X" field Yes/No".
Enter new Greenstar 2 color fancy spancy display and in this area, it has ...nothing.
The big 08 improvement is to let you know when you have left a field boundary, after you have manually selected it. It's one thing for a human to have a keen eye for the obvious, it's another to be electronically informed of it. For me, a totally and completely useless feature. I used it this spring on exactly 1 field to realize what an annoying and useless feature it is.
Dear Deere,
What was wrong with "field locator"?
Your answer should be nothing, so then why doesn't GS2 have it?
How can that be such an insurmountable problem (to have it)?

Man I feel better. Good thing. That's likely all I'll get.
Thread highjack ended.
Soapbox rant ended.

Don

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Im as guily as anyone of *****ing about lil stupid issues and things they should never have changed....

so don't feel alone...

i want to be fair tho...

Plus it pissed me off when a guy said hey you know what this field boundry thing is a free item your getting with these new monitors.

reaLLY???? no wonder its crap and so many people are haveing issues.

u get what you pay for perhaps.

im pretty sure i would have payed a 100 or 200 more bucks for something that works..

Also i like the email i got from case but i don't think it solves my problem

i get with some work i can get this thing to plant right out of my boundry.

but its 3 rows short on the boundry im comeing too..

how in the heck am i supposed to fix that????

lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
You need to be able to adjust your Lead and Lag times separately. I've been told that feature will be available next year.

In the meantime, you may be able to play with Bar Distance and/or Product Delay settings as a workaround.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We used the Auto-Section shutoff this year and I have to say that I was actually pretty pleased with it. We got it set so that it was shutting off perfectly but it was turning back on about 10 feet too early. I was okay with that since on the headlands I just timed putting the planter down again at the right point like farmers have been doing for decades.

I did not have real high hopes for this feature since I had heard all winter that CaseIH was trying to get this feature released before planting, so you pretty much knew right there that they were rushing this thing out.

Also, I knew it was going to be "free", so once again that seemed a little too good to be true. I have heard that the unlock code for this same feature with John Deere is like $2500. Can anybody confirm that???

They have almost a whole year now to improve and tweak the system so I think they will have the bugs worked out by then. Also supposed to be some neat additions such as being able to control Trucount cluthches through the Pro600 which would be cool.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well you would think that a company like CNH would be smart enuff to hold off and do a trial run with local farmers or selected ones and work for it for a year and then do it...

Also i know they didn't...everone's haveing issues with it....

And its not like if they wouldn't have had it people would be outraged that the feature wasn't on the system..

its not like everyone's just demanding it...

from now on test your new stuff out first.....

Also when you go to program what tractor you have... why not just have the measurement from the antenna to the seed tubes.

Ive heard...measure from the hitch pin..measure from the middle of the back axel.......

How about simplify it..

Also no farmer who buys a new planter and is told this is on the system or like us who spends 2,500 bucks or 3 grand on a upgrade program and gets told its on here wants to spend that money and then get told...

Well sorry the auto on/off feature isn't worth a d**n but hey its free.

B.S. Nothing's free.

heck next time add 100 bucks to the cost and give us something that works.

sorry im kinda on one right now.. but its all true.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts