The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this? Click on the pictures to make them bigger.

Crop at 20 days after planting:

The drill consists of:

1. V formation row of soil shattering tines that can work down to about 9 inches deep if required. These tines are 2 inches wide so only work the soil where the seed will be planted.

2. These are followed by a V formation row of Bourgault sprung tines that create a tilth.

3. A seeding boot then places the seed

4. This is pressed by a tire packer

5. Which is followed by a harrow.

The whole process is shown below:

The drill can be used in various formations such as no harrow or packer. Take the front tines out etc. Crop spacing is from 6 inches up to 24 inches wide depending on crop type. In the UK we seed Canola at 24 inches and Wheat at 12 inches. More info from [email protected]

Picture below shows Canola drill set up at 24 inch spacing

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hi,
Interesting drill, is the ripper intended to break a hard pan layer? Can a person put on a narrow opener, like 2-3 to make it a little more no-till. How much stuff can it go through. I would like something that could go into stubble, give me a bit of hard layer breakup, fertilize and then seed a 2-3 row and pack. What is the name of the drill?
Curt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curt,
you can find more information on the Claydon drill on their website:
www.claydondrill.com
It should not have problems with a lot of trash, as they have pretty high wheat (and thus straw) yields in the UK. It seems not to be able to fertilize (yet), however. And I suppose it's hard to get in the US.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There are plenty of guys on the BFF (British Farming Forum) who use Claydon's and can tell you all about them,

Cheers,

TC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts