The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
We used to run a 9760. I asked about putting a 635D on it on it and I was told that it would take about 18K in mods. Ended up going with a SR CVS 32 anyway. But I'd assume that a header that big and modern would be very difficult to fit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's absolutely possible to put a 640fd on these combines. For a few hundred dollar electical adapter from the good people at Headsight, I was able to put one on a 9760 this year and it worked perfect with all functions except the belt slippage warning. An auger extension fixed the unloading problem. It's recommended to have the large feeder house cylinders(which it had)and a 4x4 feeder house(which I don't have).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Really be careful with your final drives. They are a lot lighter built than ones on the newer machines. They were never designed for that kind of weight.
It depends if you have a 9650 walker or STS. The heavy duty drives were an option on walker machines but standard on STS. I doubt that a walker would have enough rear weight to safely lift the 640.

You would absolutely want contour master but you will have to buy the lankota updated tilt frame unless you feel like fabricating the hooks yourself (Not that difficult for a decent metalworker).

The other issue you might have is that the 50 series lift valve cannot modulate gradually like 60/70/S. You could run into some height control hunting issues, especially with the extra weight. Personally I would just wait until you can update the combine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's absolutely possible to put a 640fd on these combines. For a few hundred dollar electical adapter from the good people at Headsight, I was able to put one on a 9760 this year and it worked perfect with all functions except the belt slippage warning. An auger extension fixed the unloading problem. It's recommended to have the large feeder house cylinders(which it had)and a 4x4 feeder house(which I don't have).
I agree our 9760 runs a 635d hydra float no problem. With headsight. The previous owner out it on so I don't know how hard it was to set up but it works flawless for us.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
A 635d hydra float is a totally different header then a 640 flex draper. I picked up a 635Fd with our 9770 once, couldn't believe how much heavier it was then our 635D. There is no way I would want it on a 9650 even if the electrical systems could talk to each other.

·
Registered
139 Posts
????
According to John Deere's specs the ridged drapers weigh more than the fd's.
635d....7746lbs and 8136lbs with built in transport.
640d....8746lbs with transport
635fd....7385lbs
640fd....8047lbs
When I first saw that I didn't know how that could be but unless they have their info mixed up, those are the numbers.
Agreed that a 9650 maybe is a little too small for a 40' head but if its on flat land I'm not sure it would be a problem.

FJ....I don't know how Headsight was able to get the fd's and 60 series to talk together but they managed somehow. And yes all sensors in flex are working plus the HHS in ridged works flawlessly too.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We can easily lift the back wheels on the combine while stopping with the 35' on the 9760. I would not want a 40' on the 9650. We have a 930d on our 9650 walker and it's just about right for that combine in our conditions.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Seems impossible to get it to all work, because the software on the combine doesn't even have a program capable of controlling that many sensors. Same goes with the header controller. I have no doubt they made it work, but I'm pretty certain you aren't using all of the sensors on the header, and therefore not utilizing the entire potential. The only way I know of is if the headlight is doing all of the data calculations and simply sending raise and lower commands only. Either way, I'd personally never consider it on a 50 series....the components aren't built nearly strong enough for that header.

I am pretty sure FD's have there own controller on board so that all it would be sending to combine is lift and tilt...

VR

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
????
According to John Deere's specs the ridged drapers weigh more than the fd's.
635d....7746lbs and 8136lbs with built in transport.
640d....8746lbs with transport
635fd....7385lbs
640fd....8047lbs
When I first saw that I didn't know how that could be but unless they have their info mixed up, those are the numbers.
Agreed that a 9650 maybe is a little too small for a 40' head but if its on flat land I'm not sure it would be a problem.

FJ....I don't know how Headsight was able to get the fd's and 60 series to talk together but they managed somehow. And yes all sensors in flex are working plus the HHS in ridged works flawlessly too.
Maybe it was a 40 footer. It was in our yard after a combine demo and I was going to try to use it on our 9770 but they didn't want to communicate with each other so I never did take it out to the field, just moved it in the yard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You are correct, I made a phone call to Headsight, and the kit they
make works with both the 50 and 60 series combines. They do require
the combine to be single point, and the heavy feeder house.

The cost is $1,655. with display box in cab. Headsight is a good outfit
I have experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.