The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new 13X95 auger with a Rodono style extending swing on it.
Debating between Wheatheart, GrainMaxx, and Brandt.
Anyone have experience with these brands? Advantages/Disadvantages?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Grain max would be 540 pto I think

Brandt has a bigger hopper then the actual rodono swing.

Also there is a remote kit available for them so you don’t have to stand in the dust to move the hopper. Grain max would have it factory installed and Brandt is supposed to have it next year I’m told.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Have a GrainMaxx 1385 auger with the Rodono and we really like it. I like that the gearboxes and driveshafts are external. The Rodono Xtend is very slick. I have been thinking about adding some solenoids to the hydraulic control block to run things remotely, but it's not bad to use the manual controls (good to hear they are offering a factory option).

I'm not sure why, but the GrainMaxx has the lowest power consumption rating, despite equivalent bu/hour, of any of the augers we looked at. And in our experience it is much easier on the tractor than the Brandt we used to have was, and moves grain every bit as fast.

So far we've only found 2 things we don't like about the GrainMaxx/Rodono combination. First the Xtend swing unit is 14", vs the auger's 13", so you can plug the main auger if you open the gate too wide. We've tried slowing down the Xtend by changing sprockets and it's much better now, but still can plug. We'll try another sprocket next year. The second thing we don't like is that it's nearly impossible to grease one of the little u-joints inside the bend.

Whatever auger you get, the Rodono Xtend is worth it in my opinion. Easy super B unloading with just one person.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I just don’t get the Rodono’s.

This is the view from the cab out of the dust and cold. Remote swing + gates. All from the cab.

Why would a guy crap up an auger to stand out in the dust and cold and extend it in and out!
Put the remote on it and you don't have to also a lot easier on the truck clutch. No inching ahead while swinging the auger. A lot more forgiving in where you pull up to the auger also. After using a rodono for a harvest it would be hard to go back to a regular swing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Apologies to the OP as I have no opinion of those auger brands. I just wanted to add to the Rodono topic. I strongly recommend looking into the soaring eagle Drive over unload.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just don’t get the Rodono’s.

This is the view from the cab out of the dust and cold. Remote swing + gates. All from the cab.

Why would a guy crap up an auger to stand out in the dust and cold and extend it in and out!
Trust me once you buy Rodono you will never buy another auger without it. Makes unloading super Bs a breeze. And anyone that has used remotes on a swing auger has eventually screwed up or bent something on there trailers or swing auger sooner or later. Just ask the employees on bigger farms if they want to use a regular swing again in there lives!!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Agreed. Sampling is an important part of unloading. And even those of use who do try to sample the whole load probably aren't getting it as representative as we would like. Maybe an automated sampler in the future would be nice.

Anyway I just expect that trucking involves some dust. A nice dust mask, some ear plugs, and it's no big deal.

20 minutes to unload the super B with the Rodono. No messing with inching the swing under. Just pull up, unload one trailer, pull out the rodono, move to the other trailer, unload. Having used a conventional swing under the super B, there's no way I'd go back to it.

Note that you cannot retract or extend the rodono when the auger is running. So you do have to jump in the cab a couple of times. Eventually a remote PTO and throttle would be nice.

I agree that a drive-over would also be convenient.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Also just a quick though on Brandt vs GrainMaxx. I'm sure the newer Brandts are better but ours used to sag 2' under load. Also when you dropped the swing, the Brandt 1390 HP would pitch over at least 10", so lining up on the bin was a bit tricky because you had to be too far over to the one side, knowing that when the swing was dropped it would pitch over. Also we caught the telescoping plastic spout on bin lids a couple of times.

The GrainMaxx hardly moves when it loads up with grain. also the plastic spout is a way better design and will never catch on bin lids. And when we drop the swing it pitches over maybe a few inches tops. The frame design also seems to keep the auger a lot more stable than our brandt ever was when I move the auger around while it's still way up in the air.

The GrainMaxx only has a mount for the jack on one side of the auger, but if you move the swing to the other side, the jack really needs to move to that same side also due to weight distribution. I welded on another jack mount so we can easily move it side to side.

One other issue I see with the Grain Maxx and Rodono is that as the auger gets high you need to lower the swing winch some or else the back end of the rodono would hit the tractor. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I looked at Grainmax a few yrs back the thing that turned me off of it was the inability to reverse the auger to clean it out. Not a big deal at harvest unless you’re constantly switching crops, but when using auger with clean seed I like to keep things uncontaminated. Has this changed or is it not a big deal?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Ours came with a reversing kit although I haven't figured out how it mounts. It's a hydraulic motor. I think it is supposed to mount on the unused gearbox (the other side that your swing is not on). Or maybe if you don't have that (the double side thing is optional), it probably attaches to the main spline input where the PTO shaft normally goes.

Supposedly the auger cleans itself out a lot more than other augers because the flighting is tighter in the tube since it's one piece and has no joints. And indeed it does seem to get itself pretty clean. But reversing would still be recommended.

·
Registered
195 Posts
got to use a rodono and i though it was useless still have to line up to a certain spot in order to unload it. just like a swing auger. i would buy the soaring eagle drive over conveyor cause i can truly do both gates on the trailer without having the crank handle be in the way.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
No doubt the driver over conveyor swing would work great. What is the cost compared to the rodono?

We just open the gates and do all our sampling from the other side of the truck. But I am not a tall person so I can easily duck between the hopper openings.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
got to use a rodono and i though it was useless still have to line up to a certain spot in order to unload it. just like a swing auger. i would buy the soaring eagle drive over conveyor cause i can truly do both gates on the trailer without having the crank handle be in the way.
Leave it at a 90* angle to the auger and pull along side till the side middle marker light is lined up and put the rodono under trailer unload both hoppers and move.

I could see a drive over being good if you have lots of big bins.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you had a drive over, superb you dont have to pull the thing in all the way like a rodono you just drive forward or backwards. what i was told is that drive over and rodono is around the same price but that was not when rodono came factory on augers that was if it had to be added later.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Takes 10 seconds to push it out or in. With the remote on rodono and on the trailer gates I don’t have to leave the tractor. But I do to walk around and sample check tires on truck/trailer and such.

What has to be done to move the conveyor?

·
Registered
314 Posts
What has to be done to move the conveyor?
There is a hydraulic lever on the tube that controls a drive wheel at the end of the conveyor. It swings in a wide arch that can hit both chutes on super b trailer, so you only have to move the truck once. I think there are YouTube videos out there. It is a great fit for us because we run tandem trucks with trailers...so the rodono does not have a low enough profile to work for us.
We have finished our second season with the drive over and are very happy. Canola is also not an issue with the belt. We’ve moved close to 100,000 bus of canola so far without a problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts