The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m an agronomist slowly turning into a hemp farmer. Definitely a social climber! I don’t currently own a combine, but want to add one to my operation. My main interests in joining this group are to learn more about the tech of harvesting and how it can be adapted to industrial hemp. What I think I can bring to the table is 33 years as a consultant/ agronomist in potato & row crops, and now industrial hemp. Thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Welcome:). What is the goal of hemp? Seed or just the stalks or both? I know nothing about it and only have seen one field of it about 20 years ago. Does not look like much fun to harvest. Looks like a person needs a corn header to knock it down and then bale it. There is a company near me looking at putting in 10k ac worth of it in. They are looking for local guys to do all the work so this has peaked my interest.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Be interested to hear what the Canadian guys have to say about prices, now that US is/has been entering the market. I’ve heard rumors of large inventories and poor prices.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be interested to hear what the Canadian guys have to say about prices, now that US is/has been entering the market. I’ve heard rumors of large inventories and poor prices.

After growing the stuff since it became legal here I can confidently say I will never have another acre of that stuff on my farm ever again. I've had enough of the production issues and more so how the contracting companies are screwing the producers now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it's seed production, I've just heard horror stories. But my understanding is that you want a single rotor machine like a Case. Then I've heard to check the combine often if the stuff starts to wrap it will start on fire.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
After growing the stuff since it became legal here I can confidently say I will never have another acre of that stuff on my farm ever again. I've had enough of the production issues and more so how the contracting companies are screwing the producers now.
I’ve heard the same. I looked into it hard 3 years ago. Most are trying to be a grower/processor, struggle to gain volume sales, can’t take delivery/pay/only will use their own production, use only their seed, etc. I called a Canadian hemp company thinking I would truck it across the boarder... nope. They wanted 10,000 acre contracts and wouldn’t give me a price. Told me to be their salesman and after I found enough farmers to commit to a total of 10,000 acres then they would let me know prices. Had also called the state usda office trying to connect with growers. Weren’t many then and most grew <5 acres to say they were the first. Asked the usda about seed and being a distributor for hemp seed, nope. Only people they personally knew would be allowed...? Needless to say I didn’t grow any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts