The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a couple of tractors right now and would appreciate some input on longevity of the Case/New Holland powershift transmissions in the TJ and t9000 series tractors. My dad has many concerns regarding any powershift transmission. He's never owned a tractor with one, but with our current seeding set up we nearly can't take off from a stop with a manual without slipping the clutch severely. His main concern is longevity. He's still under the idea that a powershift transmission is due for a rebuild at 2000 hours.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
278 Posts
At about 4800 hrs, I changed the oil on our stx425 and some needle bearings came out, ended up being a thrust bearing, was told everything else inside looked really good, most expensive part was the gasket and seal kit. Granted it's our blade tractor so not much shifting under heavy loads but lots of forward and backward shifts.

·
Registered
924 Posts
All the people around here that I've heard busting their powershift tranny was from pressing the clutch while going down a hill with a manure tank in the back to go faster. That caused tranny to turn real fast with no lubrication so it doesn't last long this way... If you don't do that you shouldn't have much problems. I have four Case IH tractor with powershift transmission from 2000 to 5000 hrs and never did any repairs on any of them yet

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
All the people around here that I've heard busting their powershift tranny was from pressing the clutch while going down a hill with a manure tank in the back to go faster.
That sounds like a good way to end up in some s***

I was told by a Case factory rep that the majority of the failures that they saw in the 91-92-93 series Steigers was in a silage pushing application where guys were shifting 60-100 times an hour and not using the decelerator They weren't designed for that. The "new" STX had a better beefed up clutch pack Still not the best to shift that many times an hour at full throttle. If run the way they were designed they last for a long time. The powershifts in the Magnum series tractors can run 10,000 hours plus with out issue. There is a local saw mill that uses steiger tractors to haul logs around there mill and those units get run 24 hours a day 5 days a week 50 weeks a year so 6000 hours a year an they get shifted many times during that time. They swap tractors every 5 years. My cousin who works there tells me they wish every piece of equipment was a reliable as the Steigers. Out side of Oil changes, tires and greasing, they don't do anything to them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
very interested to hear about the possibility of our 9230 not being the be all and end all for pushing silage. We don't have a blade for it yet, it just packs while our 4450 pushes and shapes the pile...

any idea if theses failures came out of custom silage cutting operations with only silage hours on it? we use ours for seeding and running the tub grinder as well, but it probably gets 2-3 weeks a year on top of the silage piles....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
very interested to hear about the possibility of our 9230 not being the be all and end all for pushing silage. We don't have a blade for it yet, it just packs while our 4450 pushes and shapes the pile...

any idea if theses failures came out of custom silage cutting operations with only silage hours on it? we use ours for seeding and running the tub grinder as well, but it probably gets 2-3 weeks a year on top of the silage piles....
They could have been from the big feeding operations in southern Alberta. I don't remember all the specifics this was 5-6 years ago when I talked to the rep. Was thinking about adding a blade on to a 9250 and using it to push in the pit with instead of a FWA. So long as you throttle back when you change from Forward to Reverse, no problems. I have been around several custom crews. The guy on the packer tractor sometimes maybe is the most experienced, and the way they operate isn't the best for longevity on any components. You know, running up the pile fair load and just flipping the lever from F to R tractor stopping snorting and going the other direction. Not what they were designed for.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
The manaul transmission in the NH TJ/stx tractors is very realiable and dont give alot of trouble but i was one of the very few that did have a issue in ours, the clutch plate on the HI/LO failed and wrecked the whole gearbox. Was $55000 plus labour to fix it. You may have a little more or none with a powershift but they are a whole lot less to fix if something does go wrong. Hense we now have a powershift transmission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.