The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 974 new Holland 6 row 30" corn head i think that is the number? i was wondering if one can rebuild the row units himself? I'm sick of paying over 1200 $ a piece. any help would be awesome tell me what you know!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
When mine got to 3000 acres 2 years ago I flipped the deck plates
and the snapping rollers to the other side so the other sides could wear down.
The only parts I have pruchaced so far was a couple of those special oring
master links to replace the original ones that the securing clip rusted off
the first year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the first thing to go is the gathering chain drive sprocket has some slop and stops turning the chain. i took off the one chain and it still feeds in but not the best but i can still go. I have to go slow because im in 275 bu. corn still at 28% moisture. any more help on this issue would help me more please tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a problem quite a few years ago with the splines on the shaft that drives the gathering chains. I took it to a local blacksmith and he used a product called belzona to form new splines on the shaft. It is quite a process and you have to replace the sprocket because of the wear. The belzona is a product that mixes two different pastes together to start a chemical reaction and it will gradually harden. Then you have to put a release agent on the splines of new spocket so you can form new splines on your shaft. Once it sets up it is hard as nails and the beauty of using this product is that you don't even need to open the gearbox.
The problem might be finding someone who knows how to use this stuff. The blacksmith that installed mine has since retired but I know there are several people around here (NW Iowa) that are able to use belzona. This might be a good option for you to use.
kasjun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts