The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow there are some nice improvements in 2014 models.

Where do you guys run the feeder house with a max flex head? I was running it from 0 to -2 yesterday but didn't get a real good feel for it on 18 acres.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea! Will probably need to find some seat time at an actual keyboard for that though lol.

So far the C13 burns more fuel ��
But has WAY more power ��

DEF is a bummer but it doesn't seem to burn much from what I hear.

Hydraulic feeder house is awesome, new cooling system seems great.

The new tracks are unbelievable smooth!

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Is the complete feeder house driven hydraulicaly or does it only vary the speed hydraulically? It sounds like this option likley is only of benefit in corn.
I believe bleedred is referring to the hydraulic fore/aft feeder faceplate tilt, not the drive.
Allows fine tuning of knife angle on the go much like MacDon has done with they're header adapters for 15 years or so.:)

Variable speed is mechanical drive, hydraulic adjust or fixed drive.
Fastest variable setting = fixed speed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Variable speed is mechanical drive, hydraulic adjust or fixed drive.
Fastest variable setting = fixed speed.[/QUOTE]

Don, I have never ran a combine with variable speed feeder. Is this something that is worth while or do you find most of the time you are running at the same speed as a fixed speed feeder would be running. Sometimes I get the feeling my combine would run smoother if my feeder was going slower rather than feeding in material in slugs especially when there is a need for slow ground speed. Not sure if a reduced feeder speed would help in those situations?

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Don, I have never ran a combine with variable speed feeder. Is this something that is worth while or do you find most of the time you are running at the same speed as a fixed speed feeder would be running. Sometimes I get the feeling my combine would run smoother if my feeder was going slower rather than feeding in material in slugs especially when there is a need for slow ground speed. Not sure if a reduced feeder speed would help in those situations?
There is no straightforward, easy answer so I will give you my experience.

You are correct, in tough straw and/or slugs a slower feeder chain will feed the cylinder smoother.
The feeder will have an obvious reduction in capacity though, say you slow the feeder 20% you would dial Cruise Pilot feeder house depth up.

On the flip side, feeder becomes more prone to plugging and you have to be aware of your "front" attachment, knives and augers need to be run in certain ranges for speed.
You can set a MacDon's knife speed but it's not the kind of adjustment you want to do in the middle of a harvesting evening, a sort of set it, forget it now.
It could be made simpler, but it's not.:(

I think I'd have a different approach now, after running a Sunnybrook cylinder and concave in peas and wheat I think money put toward a variable speed feeder for the sole purpose of smoother feeding would be better off put to a Sunnybrook cylinder.
The smoothness of that cylinder is almost eerie, very difficult at times to realize how the engine is loaded it is so smooth, fortunately Cruise Pilot looks after it anyway.:)
When I straight cut green canola stalks I will have a more definitive answer but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.:):)

I never would have known or said that just 1 month ago.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the complete feeder house driven hydraulicaly or does it only vary the speed hydraulically? It sounds like this option likley is only of benefit in corn.
Don is correct. It is just a hydraulic cylinder controlled from the cab instead of the turn buckle.

It also turns noticeably shorter with the new rear axle... Its not the quad link though... That's just the wide bodies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.