The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of a solution to a too old fertilizer storage tank, 15000 gallons is what this one is, I was thinking that there could possibly be a way to reline the tank with a plastic or epoxy liner? Or is it just a throw ir away thing when they start getting thin? This one has never leaked but my neighbours of the same age did.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think it would be better money spent on a new tank. Spend $60k fixing up an old tank and you still have an old tank.

·
Registered
725 Posts
pressure was the tank and vacuum the water out, let it dry up and put a good epoxy coating with primer on. primer once and the finish layer twice, we did that with an old fertilizer bin, you might have to lay the tank flat in order to get it done (its what we did) saved $32k on doing 2 bins, just buy the paint which for that size of bin might run you $2200 in total.
just make sure you have a breather mask. you can also hire it out, there's several guys that paint epoxy inside a bin and are good equipped for it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pressure was the tank and vacuum the water out, let it dry up and put a good epoxy coating with primer on. primer once and the finish layer twice, we did that with an old fertilizer bin, you might have to lay the tank flat in order to get it done (its what we did) saved $32k on doing 2 bins, just buy the paint which for that size of bin might run you $2200 in total.
just make sure you have a breather mask. you can also hire it out, there's several guys that paint epoxy inside a bin and are good equipped for it.
Who does this on a custom basis? I could do the cleaning but would rather hire out the painting.Im in Manitoba but I imagine someone in Saskatchewan would know someone in Manitoba that does it and so on.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Be very cautious if your are planning on working in a vertical liquid fertilizer tank. I wouldn’t. I would put it on its side with the top manhole near the ground.

Twice in my life I thought I might die in a crash or because of one. Once in my life I knew I would die because of something heavier than air inside of a tank. Now, 25 years later, I wouldn’t be strong enough to get out of what I went into.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Be very cautious if your are planning on working in a vertical liquid fertilizer tank. I wouldn’t. I would put it on its side with the top manhole near the ground.

Twice in my life I thought I might die in a crash or because of one. Once in my life I knew I would die because of something heavier than air inside of a tank. Now, 25 years later, I wouldn’t be strong enough to get out of what I went into.
what do you mean by that?
did the tank fall over because it wasn't anchored down>?

the guy that paints bins inside and outside i forgot his name again but he does mobile sandblasting and painting his number is 1 two04 871-74six3 he's from notre dame area manitoba, nice guy to deal with.

·
Registered
733 Posts

the guy that paints bins inside and outside i forgot his name again but he does mobile sandblasting and painting his number is 1 two04 871-74six3 he's from notre dame area manitoba, nice guy to deal with.

You want the tank on it's side so you can easily exit, the manhole is at the bottom so gasses heavier than air can exit.

Once I was welding a diesel tank and used Argon gas to remove any fumes in the tank I had a newborn calf in the back of the shop in a hot box, the shop door was raised a couple feet. Before I was done the calf was dead, he suffocated from the Argon gas.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
The crashes involved things going faster than a fertilizer tank.
The firm were I worked at the time obtained a large vertical liquid fertilizer tank to repurpose for feed supplement. We put it on its side and hired someone to hot wash it out and afterwards we stood it upright in position for its new use. A few days later I entered into it on a rope to attach a fitting that had been forgotten and descended down into a toxic atmosphere. Escaping back to the top on the tiny rope became a fight for my life

1 - 9 of 9 Posts