The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a call from a customer who has found a Corn Soybean M3 - in a shed - has 8 hours on it, never been in the field . M3 diesel hydro with a 316 Flex head. He said owner wants to sell and ask me what it was worth. I have not a clue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is it a green stripe? If so which engine, a very few had the 426. Bought an M-3 new in 1985, for 56,000 included 315 table and A438 cornhead. Base machine had a 102,000+ list. Machine was a new 1983 that had come from a bankrupt dealer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only 426's on M3s were hill side - some M3's had 7020 motors (intercooled ) at 145 HP

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Today at 10:31am, orangeguy wrote:
A very few of the late 1987 M-3 had 426's from the factory, non hillside machines. They were rare, but a few exist.

Interesting. I did not know this, but seeing how 1987 was the very last year for the conventional Gleaners, do you suppose they were just using up the "surplus" stock of 426's, knowing that not that many MH3's were slated for production?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Guy around here bought a combine that had sat about 15 yrs. It didn't last a week; it has to be run once in a while to get the grease and oil stirred up plus the belts seem to loose their flexibility sitting in one spot.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A well maintained combine with 3000 hours might be a better buy than this machine. I had a neighbor who about 5 years ago bought a brand new 1999 R62 from some dealer on the east coast. It sat for 6 years,some outside but mostly inside. The first year was a real challenge. Since then it has been a good machine. Still you are talking about a machine with basically new parts. A decent used one is worth roughly 10-13K. You can probably add 2-3 for RWA. Maybe a cherry sub 3000 hour machine in top condition with excellent rubber and RWA might fetch 20K in the right area. Most guys in the market for a machine of this size are not in the market for a 50-75K machine which is roughly what it would have sold for. You never know and if the right person strolls along maybe that amount isn't out of line and with it being so unique you just never know. If it was in my shed and someone offered me more than 30K I know I would take it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My 83 M-3 had some quirks in the cooling system, was a hydro, but radiator hoses were for a gear drive, and had an offset core radiator, that was from the 2 series. If chaff and dirt got by the rotary screen, you blew the radiator out daily. In answer to a price, I'd say 20-25,000 max, may be a new machine, but could have many problems from sitting.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I gotta ask, how the HECK did this sit in a shed this long and never get used other than 8 hours?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
don't know, I guess most figure value will go up, might for few years, then model change, and deterioration sets in. This unit was never put in the field. Figure all belts and a bunch of bearings will be needed if taken to the field .. Customer ask if there was a Gleaner museum ,,,,,,,, oh well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe , maybe not on the belts, had a Gehl chopper bought new in 1972 used till 1988, put it in the shed till 1999 or 2000. Still had the origonal blower belt and all bearings in the cornhead, fellow that bought it chops 25acres/yr, still has the belt and bearings on the machine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does the hour meter work? Did someone pull the wire off the hour meter? Hard to believe something like that sitting or years has only 8 hours on it. It would have to go cheap for the fact that everything is dried out - belts, seals, bearings, and hoses.

Jason

·
Registered
597 Posts
Many years ago I heard of a Diesel "G" that was just sitting unused, in like new condition not that far from me. The owner would'nt talk to me about it or even admit that he had it. Neighbours tell me its still there with the bush grown up around it. There are lots of weird people in this world !! There is a great Allis Chalmers / Gleaner Museum at Portage la Prairie, Manitoba if the owner is serious about seeing the M3 go to a Museum...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have a 1984 M3 purchased 6 years ago paid 40thou for it with 316 flex head been a darn good
combine. Dealer got it at a farm sale in Iowa.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts