The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is a new/updated 9500 series combine coming from Massey Ferguson for 2015 for Australia & North US?
I would hope if there is that it has the new Skyline cab as well a viewing ladder beside the cab door (same as Gleaner) for checking bin samples without going round the back. I'd also like to see a factory track option similar to what was shown at Agritechnica just gone.
Anyone have anything to add?...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a new/updated 9500 series combine coming from Massey Ferguson for 2015 for Australia & North US?
I would hope if there is that it has the new Skyline cab as well a viewing ladder beside the cab door (same as Gleaner) for checking bin samples without going round the back. I'd also like to see a factory track option similar to what was shown at Agritechnica just gone.
Anyone have anything to add?...
What is this Skyline cab you refer to?

·
Registered
553 Posts
That looks really nice. Has all the additional things we would ask for over and above the current cab, not that the current cab is bad. Like the DVD player!

Edit: Just found this link also:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cab looks well made and modern but does it have a separate cab pressurizer that keeps the cab with a constant .2-.3" of water column positive pressure of filtered air. The main blower being only for internal cab air circulation. Virtually all self propelled sprayers have a separate pressurizer with dirt pre cleaner to keep the cabs with a minimal amount of pesticide residue as well as minimal dirt as particles carry pesticides. A combine operating in an environment of extreme dirt with all the molds and pollens is a dangerous place to work as well without proper air filtration. Just wondering if the basic safety and protection of the operator has caught up with all the complex electronic gadgetry? All the electronic features won't mean much to someone who is sick from poor air quality, or someone who develops lung problems later in life simply because a lack of regard for their health.

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow guess you didnt drive a case 930 with a86 tug along then lol i leave doors open 4 a week or 2 before harvest in new combine if i can

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cab looks well made and modern but does it have a separate cab pressurizer that keeps the cab with a constant .2-.3" of water column positive pressure of filtered air. The main blower being only for internal cab air circulation. Virtually all self propelled sprayers have a separate pressurizer with dirt pre cleaner to keep the cabs with a minimal amount of pesticide residue as well as minimal dirt as particles carry pesticides. A combine operating in an environment of extreme dirt with all the molds and pollens is a dangerous place to work as well without proper air filtration. Just wondering if the basic safety and protection of the operator has caught up with all the complex electronic gadgetry? All the electronic features won't mean much to someone who is sick from poor air quality, or someone who develops lung problems later in life simply because a lack of regard for their health.
Gee Whiz:rolleyes: How did we ever survive back in the days before Big Daddy Government and EPA & OSHA? I remember our custom harvester back when I was a kid running a Massey 27 smoking his cigarettes and putting the butts out in the grain bin while being in all that dirt. We ran pull type Gleaners and with the wind at your back setting in the dirt. All the people listed above lived to be old men, for me, so far so good. It must be a sad life for you to live in constant fear and depending on government regulation.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any ******* smoking cigarettes on or around wheat harvest would have been kicked off the place around here. Don't tell me that smoking and breathing dirt somehow gave those guys a long life. I remember plenty of guys that their health had been ruined by the age of 60 doing those sort of jobs and their deaths weren't too pretty either. Every modern farm tractor has cab pressurization in an attempt to reduce dirt buildup for both cab interior and operator protection. A combine without this is pathetic. Every shield and safety device has been to your benefit and I'm grateful for those that campaigned in the past for these measures. Maybe you want to give up your seat belts and air bags and go back to the days of terrible detroit pig automobiles that folded up like a beer can when hit and caused horrific injuries killing thousands a year needlessly. I suppose that would be 'tuff' and 'macho' and be an exhibition of your freedoms where no person can tell you anything that you didn't agree with.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My dad started out with pull type combines and later IH 151 and 403's without a cab. He didn't want a cab as he couldn't hear or smell the combine which he thought was really important for safety. That was before monitors.
As for those detroit hogs, I always thought those things, at least the big ones, were built like a tank compared to what's around nowadays unless your going pretty far upscale. I agree belts and air bags were a great safety item as well as auto air which I didn't grow up with, but I wish I had my old Olds 98 back. it was a real boat.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Any ******* smoking cigarettes on or around wheat harvest would have been kicked off the place around here.
That escalated quickly, in my youth I wasnt ever turned away from a job because I smoked and I wouldnt turn a smoker away regardless of the time of year there are just common sense rules that both parties find acceptable. I get both of your points, on one hand do we need to have hospital quality air in our equipment thats not around harsh chemicals? But I dont want to see someone have an agonizing self inflicted death because they didnt ever bother to wear a dust mask while they cleaned bins, I have zero sympathy for that guy. If these new pieces of equipment leak too much dirt for people nothing will ever be good enough. I drag in more dirt with my boots than what gets through my old R-5 Gleaners door seals.

·
Registered
345 Posts
mrgrothen, don't bother stopping in Southern Kansas. Your liberalism won't be welcome. We can live fine lives without government intrusion. First thing I do with a new combine draper header is take off all the silly plastic covers on PTO shafts so you can check and grease u-joints easily. Next hot wire the silly switch on the seat so you can stand up and stretch without the unloading auger shutting down. As far as your silly comment on the cars, my 1978 Lincoln has more iron in just the hood than your prius has in the whole car! Do you still have your Obama "yes we can" bumpersticker on the prius? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Gleaner Baldwin, I'm no social liberal, don't drive a Prius and am glad I don't share your complete ignorance. Those safety devices were designed to help guys like you keep your limbs and your life, taking them off when not necessary is just plain ridiculous. If they prevent just one person from a terrible fate makes them worth it. How about that for regard for life mr. conservative?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I accept that shields are for the fools that play with moving objects,generally not the operater,safety is always first,all combines will have a cover that could cause a fire by trash buildup,i remove said cover and inform dealer and use machine,on trading machine i hand cover to them

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Farmac....can u tell us what u harvested, what was sample like etc...what is platform like....

I remember the days of delivering new machines..I'd give the farmer the speech of guards are for your safety....then we find a few pellets and stack them all neatly...that's where they were when they were traded....I was just a technician back then....however on sts combines ...no need to remove anything ....they were tops...

Ant...

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
I remember the days of delivering new machines..I'd give the farmer the speech of guards are for your safety....then we find a few pellets and stack them all neatly
You're supposed to stack them neatly?:eek:
I just throw them in the pile!
Nobody tells me anything.:(;)

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey Gleaner Baldwin, I'm no social liberal, don't drive a Prius and am glad I don't share your complete ignorance. Those safety devices were designed to help guys like you keep your limbs and your life, taking them off when not necessary is just plain ridiculous. If they prevent just one person from a terrible fate makes them worth it. How about that for regard for life mr. conservative?
We have a little saying when working up north and that is that too much safety is unsafe. When the human race loses all awareness because they ASSUME everything is safe at all times, thats when people will get hurt. DO NOT TOUCH A MOVING PART

1 - 20 of 61 Posts