The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
90ft that'll knock back the ac. Thanks for posting pics.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Nice. I really like the new Morris C2 and the 9000 carts. What were some of the issues you encountered with the drills and carts this season?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I cant imagine the morris would be very handy on a big toolbar if someone was applying big fert rates we tried putting 320lbs of canola blend down the fert shank on a 42ft drill cart is a flexi coil dual fans and 4500 or 5500 rpm don't matter the manifold plug past 4.5mph ended up putting phos with seed. I thought plugged manifolds where a big issue only for big drills but little ones too I guess the manifold cant handle more than 300 lbs of product anyone have this issue with larger toolbars or are the fert rates lower in OZ that is a non issue

·
Registered
364 Posts
About 200lbs or 90 kg/ha or 36kg/ac. Most I would say are around 40-60kg/ha. Speeds are closer to 5-5.5mph or 10km's give or take.

I'll take the tbt 15000L with 80' thanks! What's the horsepower requirement for that set up with hydraulic tynes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Issue wise, it was a tough year! Lots of minor issues like hoses pulling out of boots, etc. Our major issue was to do with a third party fan not being able to push the product out on the bigger machines. Went back to Morris dual fans and much better. The other issue was double shooting urea as we had several days with very dewy mornings and nights. The supplied oil cooler struggled to heat the air stream enough to stop it from blocking. We did find on one of the oil coolers that one of the fittings hadn't been machined correctly and oil was by passing which didn't help. We added some bits as per the manufacturers recommendation but made bugger all difference. We fitted the needle valve to create more of a restriction and heat the oil more and that made a difference but not likely enough. We still need to work on this issue.
We are working on about 4.5hp per tyne (Dutch Outlaw in-line double shoot) + 80-100hp for the VRT air cart on the big machines.
These farmers have noticed a drop in fuel usage compared to pulling their previous 60ft machines.

·
Registered
364 Posts
80' @ 12" spacings = 460hp?? Are you sure that's right? What depth & speed are these machines at? It's just my depth is at 4' speed 10.5km 44' 12" spacings 650 breakout & with stx 535 I can be up over 100% hp requirements.
What's a ball park figure on tbt 80" hydro tynes vrt 15000L?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys are only sowing standard seeding depths (1"-1.5") depending on moisture and crop. Deepest they might go is 3" which uses a bit more power. There is one guy towing an 80ft C2 with single shoot Dutch outlaw with a 15,500 litre TBH VRT cart with an STX440. Our soils here are not that heavy either in most area's.
All the machines above were on 12" spacing, all double shoot & VRT except the 40ft that had liquid fert and was ground drive.
Speed I think most were sitting 10-10.5kph.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
80' @ 12" spacings = 460hp?? Are you sure that's right? What depth & speed are these machines at? It's just my depth is at 4' speed 10.5km 44' 12" spacings 650 breakout & with stx 535 I can be up over 100% hp requirements.
What's a ball park figure on tbt 80" hydro tynes vrt 15000L?
Seedhawk sales man quoted use on a 60' 15" spacing machine. Recon we could pull it with our 9200 fast enough for soil through. I can't see it just pulling the weight of bar and 8800l box at 13km would near keep 9200 busy before put it in ground. Have a flexi coil with 50, 650lb tynes and that keeps 9200 busy at 10.5km.

Madsnake

·
Registered
364 Posts
Salesman will tell you anything to get a sale!:) If I was going to seed with knife points only an 1" deep I might as well use a spreader & a set of old harrows to do the job!:D How many Hp's a 9200?
For what it worth I'm not a huge fan of the seed hawk had one here for a demo about 3 years ago. Seed placement emergence was worse than my Flexicoil but don't think it was set up right?? Was maybe trying to compete with digging as deep as my old flexicoil & it struggled badly!! Any slight turn and one shank would fall in behind the other making it go from 12" spacings to 24". Clearance under the bar wasn't great you pull out any type of decent size rock & it was going to ruin every shank behind it on the way out. Demo unit turned up with a shank missing due to that exact problem. Shanks just hang way to far back.
And looking at it the wear & tear on these machines would be huge.
Hmm..... I'm just thinking hope you haven't bought one already cause I might have just put my foot in it!:eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you get 25-35mm of rain every 7-10 days for a month leading up to sowing you don't have to seed deep!
Last years machines were a different story with the dry start, one was an 80ft C2 on 12" spacing double shoot with Dutch Outlaw openers with a 22,000 litre VRT cart. They sowed wheat at 3" deep with a JD9530 which I think is 485hp. These independent opener drills don't take a lot of pulling compared to standard fixed tyne machines.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's not the seed I want deep but the knife point. So are the c2 hydro tynes?

And how about price you don't have to be exact you can round it off to the nearest dollar or two that will be fine!?:D

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
No have not bought a seedhawk. 9200 is 310hp. Sounds like there is a old flexi coil in the mallee on Dutch low drafts and cut fuel buy a 1/3 but I think there not going deep with a knife point to do it.

Do you go any wider than 12" spacing on the Morris?

Madsnake

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
C2 are hydraulic independent openers using an accumulator to maintain pressure.
For a big machine (80+ft & 15,000+ air cart) no matter the brand they usually start in the low $400k and go up into the $500k+ area depending on setup and options.
Morris/McIntosh offer 10", 12" & 15" spacings, with the bigger machines only offering the 12" & 15".
Re depth, I have heard of guys up Northern NSW sowing chick peas 4-5" deep which is to the bottom of the point with these machines so depending on what point/boot setup you use you could rip deeper and place your product shallower if need be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No price on the new ICT system as yet, but it will be the system to get if that's what you need. It works great and it's simple.
The current half tank version is a waste of time from what I've seen, one of the machines had it fitted this season and it was hopeless, to slow and no indication if it was fully open or fully closed so if you got side tracked whilst using it was a 50/50 bet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi jt,

Just wondering if you have had much experience with C1's.I bought a used 41',now has 32 [email protected] with rootboot paired row openers out of SA.I am having trouble with some openers not penetrating with 1200psi hyd.pressure and have checked everything I can think of,ram seals,bleeding etc to no avail.Morris guys are blaming the geometry of the boots I'm using but would have thought no tynes would go in if that was the case,besides the Dutch adaptors would be similar in their geometry & haven't heard of any problems with them.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
364 Posts
Seedhawk sales man quoted use on a 60' 15" spacing machine. Recon we could pull it with our 9200 fast enough for soil through. I can't see it just pulling the weight of bar and 8800l box at 13km would near keep 9200 busy before put it in ground. Have a flexi coil with 50, 650lb tynes and that keeps 9200 busy at 10.5km.

Madsnake
What sort of price did they give you for the bar only mate?
And did they give any idea of what one is worth on 12" spacings?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts