The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who had some knowledge about setting up a new producer car site. Along the main CP line between Moose Jaw and Swift Current there is a few small towns that still have sidings in place. Wondering if it's a possibility to use these? Do you need a contract or lease of some sort with them? Any insight would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
From the checks I have made it has to be designated by CP. After many attempts and voice mails to CP I have yet to hear back from them. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My understanding is that the railways have 2 types of sidings. One is "public access sidings", meaning the cost to use it is built into the price of the car. Second is "leased sidings" meaning that you (or a grain company) pay to lease the siding and you can run as many cars through there (at a lower rate) as you'd like.

Doesn't really help you out as far as using them, but that's the best I can do!

Andrew

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That is the type of info I'm looking for. It seems as though this could be the way of the future for durum. Although everything is slow moving and plugged, the last 3 months the durum millers have kept their price up on high quality. Jut have to get it to them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm going to look into one, one very close to me.. Anyway a buddy contacted CP and its not a "designated site" but it's excellent really I'm guessing room for 20 + cars. my thoughts were to purchase the land and set up some 90 ton hoppers. The SAMA website doesn't show anyone owning the land (where the Paterson and pool elevators sat) so I'm guessing its owned by CP?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts