The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got an old 435 JD and it's a POS in straw. Everyone says the BR New Hollands are the best for feeding. Would rather get a JD for parts service etc. but would consider any brand.

What JD models and age do you need to get to before they're a useful baler.

Cheers
Will

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Anything from 467 onwards (or 567 if you want the 5' wide version) with the rotor feed are very good machines. I ran a BR750 alongside a 467 for a season and found them both to be good. The NH had slightly more capacity in good conditions but the JD could baler for longer when it was getting to dry. The JD left the paddock cleaner as well, especially in light windrows. As i said both good machines, buy whichever one is sold by the better dealer in your area.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Will we have a 467 and it loves straw well better than the new holland ones next door.
Ours needs a bit of work on the pickup but still does a great job on straw.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't own a baler but use contractors that have had various colors over the years, but easily the best bale i have seen comes out of the Lely Welger machine. have not seen them do a lot in straw but it seemed to do a good job with every thing put in front of them. Seems to be reasonably easy and trouble free from a maintenance side of things too.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks all. Some great info hear. There's mainly new Hollands and JD's around here. But there's only a JD dealer on the island. Will have a look at some 467's. Thanks

Will
'67 series or newer. The stuffer rotor helps a tremendous amount. Whatever you buy, it needs net wrap.:)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
We've had 4 round balers on the farm in the last 15 years.

First was a Hesston, it was a good machine.

Next was a gehl 2580, made a nice even bale but otherwise was the biggest pos ever built.

Then a new holland br7060 silage model, it was pretty good but complicated and plugged in heavy crops at any decent speed.

Now we have a john Deere 458 and we love it, first round baker that we consider actually works as one should. You can drive as fast as you stay on the tractor and stuff in as much crop as possible and you'll never plug it and believe me Ive tried to plug it!

Great pickup as well doesn't miss anything and we've done lots of straw as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.