The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a new seeder.
Would like something with more accurate seed placement than an air drill (currently have a John Deere 1830 with 1910 tank)
Looking at either Horsch Avatar or Amazone Citan. (Would need to spread fertilizer ahead of seeding with these drills, they’re single shoot single disc opener and not a huge tank)
Anyone have any experience with either of these? Is one better than the other?

·
Registered
501 Posts
My read on the new fertilizer regulations is that surface application of fertilizer will be banned in the not too distance future. Make sure you consider that when purchasing new drills that will require fertilizer spreading.
Beat me to it. Though some of these European seeders do a great job and are engineered well, the fact they’re almost always single shoot makes them incompatible for here especially if Trudeau and Bobo ban spreading fertilizer. Even the Potinger looks decent as well. You’d think they could incorporate a liquid dribble bar on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’d steer clear of pottinger seeders . I know a guy that worked at feedlot north of Airdie and said it way an alright idea but the pottinger guy was beyond useless and he wouldn’t listen to there complains or help them make it work . They wanted to add liquid and pottinger rep told them to just seed with there seedmasters and not bother with “ that thing”

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My read on the new fertilizer regulations is that surface application of fertilizer will be banned in the not too distance future. Make sure you consider that when purchasing new drills that will require fertilizer spreading.
Yes, that would be a problem.
Any word on how they will be checking how fertilizer is being applied and how the rules would be enforced?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think the gubmint cares about your application method because it in not about the environment. What they will do is fertilizer rationing and say you used 100 ton the past 5 years average. This year 80 and next 60. Engineered famine. I have had luck with spreading just before a rain in the past. Having some fertilizer placed with the seed is critical in western plains conditions in my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts