The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on the new series of case IH combines. The 5088, 6088, and 7088 all have a new feeder house chain tensioning system that might cause problem. The draper manual says that you need to have your feeder house in the corn position to feed properly, and we can attest to this because it would not feed at all in the middle position with the type of soybeans that we harvest. The case combine guru told us that we had to tension the feeder house chain so that it was an 1/8 inch off the bottom to feed the best in the corn position.

How can we do that in the new series since it uses spring tensioning. I also don't like the idea of spring tensioning much. We never skipped a feeder house chain until we operated the 670 challenger which had a spring tensioned feeder chain. I have also read on the internet in searches that people are having this same problem in the new series of case combines, just not to the same degree.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I didn't realize that it said that in the book. So thanks!! We adjusted the stop for corn and man those were super tight!!!!!!!!! Too tight. Yeah about the worst ongoing issue u still here on the new platform is the feederhouse area but... I know of 10 in the area and they've never had that issue or others a few talk about...

Surely this spring loaded tensioner is a good design.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The case book is actually pretty confusing. The book actually has 2 spots where it shows you how to adjust the feeder house chain. One part of the book says to adjust the chain an 1/8" from the bottom when the feeder house is in the lowest position, and then move the drum up or down from there. Another part of the book says to adjust the drum in whatever position it is going to be in operation at, and then adjust the chain 1/8" from the bottom.

The combine guru told us that they use to adjust the chain the first way, which makes the chain really tight in the corn position. When the drapers came along they had to change the adjustment to make it feed properly, and they found out it was better for corn that way also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Even though the book says 1/8" off of floor, our best luck on the 7010-8120's has been to keep chain tightened down so that the chain is off the floor at least an inch. Any looser has let the chains jump which ruins them if not caught soon. We have had new combines jump the chain in tough conditions til we tightened the chain to full spring tension.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah farmerjones. Not sure what's wrong with the old model....we have had the front drum basically bust and crush. That's kinda ridiculous on a one and this year 4 year old machine. But it happens....there not perfect. But again why change something that works. (Grain auger stop from the 23888s for another example

1 - 6 of 6 Posts