The Combine Forum banner

81 - 100 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Is there away to page through active topics? I can't seem to do it only one page and no options for more same thing in New topics?

·
Registered
619 Posts
The white version is too bright for me but the dark version text needs to be easier to read.
I am also don't like that the text boxes are so much bigger with the new version. I have to scroll that much more.

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So how many upgrades and changes has thecombineforum undergone in the last decade while gaining membership, while agriville has undergone none under the guise of loosing some conspiracy theory wingnuts.

The new layout seems nice, pages load extremely fast now.
looks so fancy!!
Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Constantly improving is the only way to stay ahead.

Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I am still only getting 10 threads under active topics!! There Should be more than that by now.
Let me check on that, it might take some time for the new plugin to repopulate it.

Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hoky smokes, now that's a lot of change all at once, lot to take in, but actually so far I can see once one gets used to the new format things all be ok. One thing I have noticed just surfing around, I find the new format works a lot more friendlier on my desktop rather than my phone, which for me is all ok, as 95% of my time on here is on my desktop.

An example is like Woody was saying about getting to the forum page in one click, I can't on my phone, but on the computer it goes directly to a page very similar to the old one immediately.

I can understand about the active and such lists going back to regular length after time, that makes sense.

As for a suggestion, I have already found the bright white version hard on my eyes, just too bright overall, so I switched to the Dark version...much better for the most part, but it would be nice it the type color in the post was a bit brighter to make it easier to read. With that said,the type in the quoted part of the posts is very easy to read, hope that makes sense. But possibly this is something that only effects some of us older members with eyes that aint quite what they used to be;)
K, I'll add this, I just previewed my post as I always do before posting...for me if the type color was white instead of grey would make a huge difference. I can read the header lines very easily, but my own message is almost hard to see.

Otherwise, what I've seen of it so far and running it on a computer, so far so good. Good job and thanks for being open to suggestions.
Understood, let me get the creative team to put together a "dark mode" option for ya.

It might take until next week but I will get it done.

Thanks for the feedback,
Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Wow! How can I revert back to the old school? This white is way over the top, makes me feel like I am working in a gov office
Direction in first post, I just put in a ticket for a dark theme which should be up early next week.

"As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "TheCombineForums.com Legacy"."

Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I had my account set for 40 posts per page and it's still doing that with the new site. I do want to request, though, that we be allowed to change that setting all the way to 100 posts per page. I can do that on other vBulletin board sites; I assume it's just an admin option.
You can make adjustments to your setting here:
http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.
Number of Posts to Show Per Page:

Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
2 questions:

Who was complaining with the old style and what was wrong with it?

Any idea how much of everyone's time you wasted by changing everything?

I don't want to be a whiner but I don't remember anyone asking for suggestions on how things could be improved. Although I can appreciate the work that must have went into this, I think if you knew your audience better you would realize that this will turn more people off than on.:(

My homepage seems to be mostly ads, how do I turn the ads off?

EDIT: I guess that makes 3 questions...Ha Ha.

RE-EDIT: I see now those ads are articles that the admin posted as threads and it says "ADD replies".:rolleyes:

@SWMan

- This is a software upgrade and we are updating sites into the modern age and look of forums. You can still use the old format per instructions in the first post.

- Not sure how to comment on this but users can switch back in under a minute or take some time to learn a few new basic changes to navigation. I am here to help and answer questions.

- Thanks for the feedback, however these changes are being rolled out network wide for us.

- There are direction in the first post on how to turn off the sidebar.

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Do like the forum header beside each post to let you know under what topic it was posted.
Could use more emoticons, but the more classic version the new ones look goofy.

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks albertabuck, I see what you mean about the grey print. Dark version is too dark, bright is too bright. How does one get 40 posts to a page?
I have a dark theme in the works which should launch early next week.

Directions to adjust settings:

http://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...do=editoptions

Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
If it means the old mobile view is gone, I ll take it. First impressions, wow is it bright! Don't know about the only 10 recent discussions. Speed, cant really tell the difference. I need to go try the new drag and drop thing.
I am checking into the recent discussions.

However you have to other options:

Active topics - popular discussions:
The Combine Forum - Active Topics

http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

Jeff

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The real question is, do people dislike the new layout because it's different? Or are their specific things they don't like, which can be adjusted? Anything that's different is going to be disliked at first; that's just the way humans are wired. But if a change makes a site less usable (as most web site redesigns seem to these days... CNN is the latest offender), then that is a bad thing. So far the new layout seems as usable to me as the old one.

As for colors, perhaps the best way is to continue to offer serveral themes users can choose from. If the new dark theme offered a bit more contrast (take the cues from the legacy theme), I think that'd be my favorite theme.
Thanks for the feedback @torriem I should have a greyish dark theme up early next week for you guys.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Jeff
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but you didn't actually read what I wrote. I was requesting to have you enable up to 100 posts per page. I already am set to 40, which is nice. But 100 would be a lot better for me. I know other vBulletin sites that allow 100, so it's just an admin setting you can tweak if you feel inclined.

·
Administrator
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but you didn't actually read what I wrote. I was requesting to have you enable up to 100 posts per page. I already am set to 40, which is nice. But 100 would be a lot better for me. I know other vBulletin sites that allow 100, so it's just an admin setting you can tweak if you feel inclined.
Gotcha, still on my first cup of joe.

I will have a 100 post setting added if possible.

Jeff

81 - 100 of 226 Posts